NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-03-2020, 10:03 AM
Hal T.

I really enjoy viewing all the Brooks/Baltimore items from everyones collection. In fact, several of the items I've been researching for future purchases. I'm sure many of you wanted to hear that (supply and demand). lol

1956 line up card signed by Manager Paul Richards. The game took place on Sept. 9th at Memorial Stadium against the Red Sox. O's lost 3-2 in 12 innings with Connie Johnson pitching 11 innings. Baltimore had a HOF'er at third day that day.....George Kell.

Can't believe PSA put a sticker on the reverse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3702.jpg (76.7 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3703.jpg (78.1 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3704.jpg (77.8 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3705.jpg (77.4 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by OriolesHOF; 02-03-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:25 AM
John
John Pur.cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriolesHOF View Post
I really enjoy viewing all the Brooks/Baltimore items from everyones collection. In fact, several of the items I've been researching for future purchases. I'm sure many of you wanted to hear that (supply and demand). lol

1956 line up card signed by Manager Paul Richards. The game took place on Sept. 9th at Memorial Stadium against the Red Sox. O's lost 3-2 in 12 innings with Connie Johnson pitching 11 innings. Baltimore had a HOF'er at third day that day.....George Kell.

Did they put the sticker on the actual lineup card? That’s crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2020, 10:58 AM
Hal T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp3rd View Post
Did they put the sticker on the actual lineup card? That’s crazy!
They sure did! If it's any consolation, at least it's not on the front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3707.jpg (81.5 KB, 150 views)
Old 02-03-2020, 12:04 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
This is a score sheet from the minor league orioles in 1935
I think I said it before, but I haven’t delved into the old school Orioles “yet”. You have a very neat piece. I understand George Puccinelli was quite a force in the league. Even though he didn’t do much in this particular game he won the Triple Crown and was the 1935 MVP in the International League.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:09 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Here' s an Orioles card I'm glad I picked up many years ago. It's the 1956 Hocus Focus of Hal Smith. For those unfamiliar with the set, they are small cards (1" x 1.5") that you could develop yourself as the wrapper demonstrates.
Hal Smith was the only Orioles of the 18 baseball subjects. Smith was also in the 1955 set that contained 23 baseball players. The only difference I know of is that Smith is #17 in 1955 and #15 in the 1956 set.

Here's a scan of the 1956 card along with the wrapper (not mine)
Alan,

That Hocus Focus card is very nice. I don’t think I’ve really even seen one. I also really didn’t know very much about the cards so appreciate the education on this issue.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:12 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:

What were they authenticating? Was it whether it was a real lineup card or the Richards autograph? I know I have a few things with stickers on the front/back. I didn’t submit them, but someone did.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:14 PM
Hal T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
What were they authenticating? Was it whether it was a real lineup card or the Richards autograph? I know I have a few things with stickers on the front/back. I didn’t submit them, but someone did.
They were authenticating the signature.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:23 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
They were authenticating the signature.
Still looks GREAT (excluding the sticker...).
Old 02-03-2020, 02:18 PM
John
John Pur.cell

Quote:
I think I said it before, but I haven’t delved into the old school Orioles “yet”. You have a very neat piece. I understand George Puccinelli was quite a force in the league. Even though he didn’t do much in this particular game he won the Triple Crown and was the 1935 MVP in the International League.

Here’s my Puccinelli 1936 World Wide Gum card. I really like the minor league stuff...it’s fun to collect. I have the minor league Orioles WWG set, C46, T205 and T206 sets. Hope to build a few more!

Old 02-04-2020, 02:22 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Here’s my Puccinelli 1936 World Wide Gum card. I really like the minor league stuff...it’s fun to collect. I have the minor league Orioles WWG set, C46, T205 and T206 sets. Hope to build a few more!
John,

That's very nice and does sound fun to collect. I'd like to see more of your collection regarding the cards you're referring. I'm not familiar with some of the cards you're talking about so to get a visual would be cool.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:33 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Mike Boddiker

Posted for Clint (ksfarmboy)

Below is a 1983 Mike Boddicker Game Used jersey. Boddiker was the ALCS MVP in 1983 and of course the Orioles did fairly well in the 1983 World Series.

Mike B Jersey.jpg
Mike B Jersey back.jpg
Old 02-04-2020, 02:37 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 35 (February 4, 2020 – 035)

Brooks is pictured along with Manny Sanguillen, catcher for the Pirates, shot during the ’71 World Series in a paperback book by Don Smith entitled, “Baseball: How to Hit and Run!” I never personally got past the cover of this small book; I just liked the cover.

Day 35 a.jpg

Thought I’d add a picture of Brooks in the 1971 World Series.

Day 35 Photo 1971 World Series fielding.jpg
Old 02-04-2020, 03:31 AM
John

As a kid there was only Topps and the occasional food issue for me to collect...and in 1970 Kellogg's started putting 3-D cards in cereal boxes...and I would like to quote their cereal sage Tony the Tiger and say “They're grrrrrreat!”*

I completed all the baseball and football 3-D sets years ago....but here are complete 1970 boxes showing the baseball and football cards on the back...along with some duplicate cards for display...Brooks is the feature card on the baseball box. And I like the fact it shows the Seattle Pilots card.

You can find some cut box panels showing the 1970 3-D cards but complete boxes in nice shape are pretty tough and make a nice display.

John

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2020, 05:16 AM

Default Team Issues

Autographed from two of Baltimore's best !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brooks T issue.jpg (70.2 KB, 135 views)
Old 02-04-2020, 05:20 AM

Default 68 as

One of my favorite issue form the 60's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brooks AS68 FR.jpg (74.2 KB, 137 views)
Old 02-04-2020, 08:36 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1971 Milk Duds

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles70 View Post
As a kid there was only Topps and the occasional food issue for me to collect...and in 1970 Kellogg's started putting 3-D cards in cereal boxes...and I would like to quote their cereal sage Tony the Tiger and say “They're grrrrrreat!”*

John
John,

I remember those days well, searching the candy and cereal aisles for potential treasures. I just recently completed my 1971 Orioles Kelloggs master set with all the back variations. I'm still looking for the 1977 Wayne Garland (last line ends in "knuckleball") and the 1979 Mike Flanagan (57 K's) variations. Selecting that box of Corn Flakes with a coveted Oriole inside was always a crap shoot. It was always easier sifting through RC Cola cans, Milk Duds and Hostess boxes to find those missing gems.

Some of my favorite sets are from that era, especially the Milk Duds set from 1971. Fresh off their World Series win, 6 Orioles were featured along with Milt Pappas. Milt had long been dealt away and, even as a kid, I wondered why he was pictured as an Oriole. I keep him with my O's set, just for that reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1971 Milk Duds Complete Boxes #1.jpg (54.7 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg 1971 Milk Duds Complete Boxes #2.jpg (53.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 1971 Milk Duds Complete Boxes #3.JPG (35.2 KB, 133 views)
Old 02-04-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
John,

I remember those days well, searching the candy and cereal aisles for potential treasures. I just recently completed my 1971 Orioles Kelloggs master set with all the back variations. I'm still looking for the 1977 Wayne Garland (last line ends in "knuckleball") and the 1979 Mike Flanagan (57 K's) variations. Selecting that box of Corn Flakes with a coveted Oriole inside was always a crap shoot. It was always easier sifting through RC Cola cans, Milk Duds and Hostess boxes to find those missing gems.

Some of my favorite sets are from that era, especially the Milk Duds set from 1971. Fresh off their World Series win, 6 Orioles were featured along with Milt Pappas. Milt had long been dealt away and, even as a kid, I wondered why he was pictured as an Oriole. I keep him with my O's set, just for that reason.
Those milk dud full boxes are nice. Have any extra ? Working on a set! I love full boxes! Scott
Old 02-04-2020, 10:24 AM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Card sold in 2019 Christmas Auction. Great smile on Brooks here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brooks 1952 File Ready Proof smaller.jpg (72.0 KB, 134 views)
Old 02-04-2020, 10:26 AM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
John,

You, Sir, are one hell of a collector! I admire your passion. Great stuff.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:20 PM
John
John Pur.cell

Quote:
John,

That's very nice and does sound fun to collect. I'd like to see more of your collection regarding the cards you're referring. I'm not familiar with some of the cards you're talking about so to get a visual would be cool.

This one is the C46. It was a Canadian issue that featured the International League teams, and there were 14 Orioles cards. I have completed the set of Baltimore players. This one is my favorite.

This one is the T205. Two minor league Orioles were featured...Adkins and Dunn. Both also appeared in the T206 and C46 sets:

There are other cards featuring Minor League Orioles, I believe, such as the 9 in the T206 set. I’m sure someone here will fill in the gaps for me.

Old 02-04-2020, 03:04 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
One of my favorite issue form the 60's.
Scott,

When I first started collecting I really didn't seek after the '68 Action Stickers, but now, like you, they are one of my favorites. It may be because they're odd and then another reason is I don't understand how did these things could have survived...

As you know I don't have a full '68 Action Sticker with Brooks, but maybe someday. He just had to be on there with Clemente.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:07 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Alan,

Awesome collection of the boxes. Really like that you encompass all of the Oriole players in your collection. Thanks so much for showing your collection; it's inspiring.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:14 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil68 View Post
Card sold in 2019 Christmas Auction. Great smile on Brooks here!
Now that is a great looking card! When a B&W photo is colored is it called colorized? Whatever its called it looks nice and I'd like to have one myself. How many of this example were produced?

1956 B&W photo

Photo 1956.jpg
Old 02-04-2020, 03:16 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
You, Sir, are one hell of a collector! I admire your passion. Great stuff.
I'm with you on Alan's collection...
Old 02-04-2020, 03:27 PM
John

Quote:
John,

Yep...they are nice Milk Duds boxes...I am missing the Palmer box to have all the O's...would like to get the Palmer box by cash or trade if somebody has a full box in nice shape...have all the 70's Hostess sets and the two RC Cola sets...here is the 1977 RC Cola set...the 1978 set is larger and a little harder for me to get to right now

John

Old 02-04-2020, 03:28 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
This one is the C46. It was a Canadian issue that featured the International League teams, and there were 14 Orioles cards. I have completed the set of Baltimore players. This one is my favorite.

This one is the T205. Two minor league Orioles were featured...Adkins and Dunn. Both also appeared in the T206 and C46 sets:

There are other cards featuring Minor League Orioles, I believe, such as the 9 in the T206 set. I’m sure someone here will fill in the gaps for me.
John,

I don't believe I've even seen an example of any C46 cards. Thanks for showing me an Oriole example and a NICE one as well.

At least I've seen some of the T205 cards, but I like the look.

I know I've seen, at least, most of the Orioles T206 cards.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:34 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
yep...they are nice milk duds boxes...i am missing the palmer box to have all the o's...would like to get the palmer box by cash or trade if somebody has a full box in nice shape...have all the 70's hostess sets and the two rc cola sets...here is the 1977 rc cola set...the 1978 set is larger and a little harder for me to get to right now

john
wow!!!
Old 02-04-2020, 03:35 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Now that is a great looking card! When a B&W photo is colored is it called colorized? Whatever its called it looks nice and I'd like to have one myself. How many of this example were produced?

1956 B&W photo

Attachment 384175
Colorized, yes. Then customized filters are overlaid in 4 parts. Only 1 of the cards has been produced. It debuted in the Christmas Auctions. There will be another this year, at some point--not sure when.
One difficulty in creating these is that I'm a stickler for accurate time periods of the photos. Like a 1961 photo of Brooks for a "rookie" card annoys me, Lol.

This is a freakshow thread. It's perfect. I've seen stuff I didn't know existed and beautiful examples of stuff I did. I check this every day I can. It's astounding how meticulously these compilations are kept.

I have to say, John, BE CAREFUL with that coffee pot so close to your display!!!
Old 02-04-2020, 03:50 PM
John

One difficulty in creating these is that I'm a stickler for accurate time periods of the photos. Like a 1961 photo of Brooks for a "rookie" card annoys me, Lol.

This is a freakshow thread. It's perfect. I've seen stuff I didn't know existed and beautiful examples of stuff I did. I check this every day I can. It's astounding how meticulously these compilations are kept.

I have to say, John, BE CAREFUL with that coffee pot so close to your display!!! [/QUOTE]

It's ok...I took off the top of the display case to take the pic of the cereal boxes...and I don't even drink coffee...lol

John

Old 02-04-2020, 05:23 PM
John
John Pur.cell

Quote:

I have to say, John, BE CAREFUL with that coffee pot so close to your display!!!

It's ok...I took off the top of the display case to take the pic of the cereal boxes...and I don't even drink coffee...lol

John

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Agreed, GREAT thread!!

Old 02-04-2020, 05:26 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Colorized, yes. Then customized filters are overlaid in 4 parts. Only 1 of the cards has been produced. It debuted in the Christmas Auctions. There will be another this year, at some point--not sure when.
Phil,

Please, please let me know when another one becomes available and keep it hush...hush..
Old 02-04-2020, 05:30 PM
Clint

John those 3D boxes are phenomenal!
Old 02-04-2020, 07:51 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
John those 3D boxes are phenomenal!
Thanks, took a while to find them in nice shape. I like to display boxes as they were originally intended.

Old 02-05-2020, 02:02 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 36 (February 5, 2020 – 036)

A small Permagraph plaque of Brooks with a pretty nice blue sharpie signature of Brooks on the baseball portion of the item. Item highlights Brooks’ career stats along with a few of his accomplishments as a player.

Day 36 a Permagraph Plaque.jpg

Brooks Robinson signed baseball

Day 36 c Brooks Robinson signed baseball.jpg
Old 02-05-2020, 02:12 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Mike Boddiker

Posted for Clint (ksfarmboy)

Mike Boddicker game used jacket.

Mike B. GU Jacket.jpg

Clint,

If you have an opportunity can I see the tag for the Boddicker jacket? Also, do you know the year of use?
Old 02-05-2020, 04:57 AM
Mike Magee

Default Orioles Advocates

Good morning, I agree with this being a freak show thread that I love. There are so many new items that I didn't know about that I now have to (joyously and annoyingly) find.

That Orioles plate of the final out of the '66 World Series ended on Ebay last night. Did anyone on here purchase it?

I just picked up this collection of Orioles Advocate paper ephemera from 1964-66. It includes meeting minutes, several blank birthday cards and envelopes, and invitations to various events, including Brooks Robinson Night at Memorial Stadium in 1964.

It all seems to have been in the collection of one of the board members of the Orioles Advocates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg O's Advocates Paper Lot 2.jpg (50.9 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg O's Advocates Paper Lot 1.jpg (71.7 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg O's Advocates Paper Lot 3.jpg (51.1 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg O's Advocates Paper Lot 4.jpg (37.5 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg O's Advocates Paper Lot 5.jpg (52.9 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg O's Advocates Paper Lot 6.jpg (39.9 KB, 118 views)
Old 02-05-2020, 05:05 AM

Default Shirt

Not sure but I think this came from Sears or Montgomery Wards. This is a Boys Shirt or Pajama top Brooks style! Its is sealed in the original packaging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brooks Shirt.jpg (72.1 KB, 117 views)
Old 02-05-2020, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfan008 View Post
good morning, i agree with this being a freak show thread that i love. There are so many new items that i didn't know about that i now have to (joyously and annoyingly) find.

That orioles plate of the final out of the '66 world series ended on ebay last night. Did anyone on here purchase it?

I just picked up this collection of orioles advocate paper ephemera from 1964-66. It includes meeting minutes, several blank birthday cards and envelopes, and invitations to various events, including brooks robinson night at memorial stadium in 1964.

It all seems to have been in the collection of one of the board members of the orioles advocates.
Not a crab cake ! Love it

Last edited by quitcrab; 02-05-2020 at 05:08 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:12 AM
John
John Pur.cell

Not Orioles, per se, but Orioles related...score sheet and ticket stub from 1958 all-star game at Memorial Stadium

Old 02-05-2020, 07:31 AM
Alan Strout

Default Orioles photo

Quote:
Alan,

Really like that you encompass all of the Oriole players in your collection. Thanks so much for showing your collection; it's inspiring.
I've mentioned previously in this thread, my love of the history of the Orioles franchise from 1954-present, including their minor league affiliates. One collecting goal is to have a photo of everyone to ever appear in a game for the Orioles, pictured in their Orioles uniform. The team issued postcards and 8x10 photos have helped me to appreciate the journeyman and cup of tea Orioles in my collection. Brooks Robinson will always be the man, but quite frankly it's easy to be a Brooks collector, compared to finding that obscure Orioles photo. Believe it or not, the Orioles don't even have photos of a few players. I've asked.

I recently found this photo of an O's player. I'd been searching for him since his debut in 1991. In fact, a recent conversation with one of his friends, Ross Grimsley, revealed that he has been looking for a photo of himself as an Oriole too. While he was in the Orioles minor league system from 1989-1991 and appeared in over 200 games for Rochester and Hagerstown, his Orioles career lasted 4 games and 1 At Bat.

I got as excited when I found this photo, as when I pick up a new Brooks Robinson item. Maybe more. Any guesses....

Shane Turner 1991.jpg

1991 photo of Shane Turner
Old 02-05-2020, 07:44 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1958 All-Star Game

Quote:
Not Orioles, per se, but Orioles related...score sheet and ticket stub from 1958 all-star game at Memorial Stadium

John,

I addition to the regular 1958 All-Star program and ticket stub, I've got a couple other items from the game. A press pass and program (probably sold outside the stadium), but I've never seen that scorecard. Is it made of thicker cardboard? Very cool. Let me know if you ever want to sell it....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1958 All-Star Game Press Pass.jpg (20.4 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 1958 All-Star Game (Block Letters).JPG (64.6 KB, 136 views)
Old 02-05-2020, 07:58 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1958 Hires Root Beer

Another neat set of Orioles is the Hires Root Beer set from 1958. The set also includes two Orioles has part of their test cards. I wish I could have found them with tabs. Also the "How to Play Baseball" booklet.

1958 Hires Root Beer #1.jpg 1958 Hires Root Beer #2.jpg 1958 Hires Root Beer #3 - Copy.JPG

1958 Hires Root Beer Test.jpg 1958 Hires Root Beer Booklet.jpg
Old 02-05-2020, 09:06 AM
John
John Pur.cell

Quote:
John,

I addition to the regular 1958 All-Star program and ticket stub, I've got a couple other items from the game. A press pass and program (probably sold outside the stadium), but I've never seen that scorecard. Is it made of thicker cardboard? Very cool. Let me know if you ever want to sell it....

The sheet is a thinner card stock...probably same thickness as an index card. If I am ever jammed up and need to sell, I will let you know, but I buy this stuff with the intention of leaving a headache for my kids when I kick the bucket.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:06 AM
John
John Pur.cell

Quote:
John,

And I love you program and press pass!!

Old 02-05-2020, 03:17 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfan008 View Post
Good morning, I agree with this being a freak show thread that I love. There are so many new items that I didn't know about that I now have to (joyously and annoyingly) find.

That Orioles plate of the final out of the '66 World Series ended on Ebay last night. Did anyone on here purchase it?

I just picked up this collection of Orioles Advocate paper ephemera from 1964-66. It includes meeting minutes, several blank birthday cards and envelopes, and invitations to various events, including Brooks Robinson Night at Memorial Stadium in 1964.

It all seems to have been in the collection of one of the board members of the Orioles Advocates.
Bill,

That is a great grouping of items. The Brooks Robinson Night at Memorial Stadium in 1964 was held on my birthday, September 18th. You may remember, but quite a few years later thy had “Thanks Brooks Day” at Memorial Stadium on September 18th as well. Very cool items you posted.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:19 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
Not sure but I think this came from Sears or Montgomery Wards. This is a Boys Shirt or Pajama top Brooks style! Its is sealed in the original packaging.
Scott,

I didn’t think I had one of these things, but while digging through my junk to post I came across one that I didn’t even remember I had. Mine is a small and I’ll post it one day soon. Such a neat item in the original packaging.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:22 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
John,

I hadn’t seen the ‘58 AS game score sheet before; very neat item. of course I like the ticket as well.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:24 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Another neat set of Orioles is the Hires Root Beer set from 1958. The set also includes two Orioles has part of their test cards. I wish I could have found them with tabs. Also the "How to Play Baseball" booklet.
Alan,

Such GREAT items. Thanks so much for all the contributions you're making towards this thread.

Last edited by Mark70Z; 02-05-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:54 PM
Hal T.

Sometimes the hunt for an item is just as satisfying or greater than the item itself. Approximately five years ago my daughter and I were at the Huggins & Scott retail store, House of Cards in Silver Spring Maryland, where she spotted the July 15, 1960 ticket stub. Since this was the game where Brooks became the first Orioles player to hit for the cycle, we had to have it. My daughter scores every game she attends. She purchases a scorecard, usually brings her own pencil and makes entries the old fashion way. Because of her interest in keeping score, whenever I acquire a ticket with special significance, I try to find the accompanying scorecard (preferably scored). After 5 years, I finally found the scorecard on Ebay this past Sunday and received it today. As you can see, Brooks had 5 hits and completed the cycle with a triple in his last at bat. It's funny how I can derive such pleasure from an inexpensive item like this scorecard as opposed to other items in my collection.

Btw, the back of the ticket has a picture of HOF'er Early Wynn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3715.jpg (81.2 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3720.jpg (80.1 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3721.jpg (82.1 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3722.jpg (81.8 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by OriolesHOF; 02-05-2020 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:25 PM
John
John Pur.cell

Quote:
Sometimes the hunt for an item is just as satisfying or greater than the item itself. Approximately five years ago my daughter and I were at the Huggins & Scott retail store, House of Cards in Silver Spring Maryland, where she spotted the June 15, 1960 ticket stub. Since this was the game where Brooks became the first Orioles player to hit for the cycle, we had to have it. My daughter scores every game she attends. She purchases a scorecard, usually brings her own pencil and makes entries the old fashion way. Because of her interest in keeping score, whenever I acquire a ticket with special significance, I try to find the accompanying scorecard (preferably scored). After 5 years, I finally found the scorecard on Ebay this past Sunday and received it today. As you can see, Brooks had 5 hits and completed the cycle with a triple in his last at bat. It's funny how I can derive such pleasure from an inexpensive item like this scorecard as opposed to other items in my collection.

Btw, the back of the ticket has a picture of HOF'er Early Wynn.

Awesome story and piece