NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-04-2021, 05:44 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default Grade mystery… why Teddy Ballgame a 4?

A local friend of mine connected yesterday (he’s much more experienced of a collector than me) and I was sharing these images of my ‘48 Leaf Ted Williams

I love this card - Ted as a young slugger, the colors from that set are so Andy Wharhol cool to me, etc.

But he asked and I could not answer why is this card graded only a 4? I never thought much about it - he was sure that it must mean that the card has a crease or wrinkle somewhere on it. So I gave it a very close look, tried to use a jewelers loupe, but for the life of me, I still can’t find the technical flaws

Thought I might post a few images here and see if any Net54’ers with a sharper eye than me might help me find Teddy’s flaws

Thanks for taking a look and Happy 4th to all!🇺🇸

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87E75FD9-D8F3-421D-996A-032C9C55C336.jpg (19.9 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg 337DC1D6-0939-4F7C-A967-510DED2AEE34.jpg (20.1 KB, 272 views)
Old 07-04-2021, 05:53 AM
Ian H@ll

Every time that I subbed a sharp, centered card, and it came back 3-5 grades lower than I expected, it was a surface wrinkle. It's probably the slightest wrinkle ever.

Either way, that's a stunner of a card.

(PM me if it happens to be for sale!!)
Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906
Old 07-04-2021, 06:00 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

In order to get any accurate response, you need to take pictures at an angle under a light source, then upload them somewhere else. Then put the links in your post. Net54 message board photo storage does not allow for the image size/resolution that we would need to give you an answer.
If you sell it, realize it will probably get cracked out, pressed, and end up in an 8 slab.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-04-2021, 08:53 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
In order to get any accurate response, you need to take pictures at an angle under a light source, then upload them somewhere else. Then put the links in your post. Net54 message board photo storage does not allow for the image size/resolution that we would need to give you an answer.
If you sell it, realize it will probably get cracked out, pressed, and end up in an 8 slab.
Good idea on the image… I’ll try that. Thx

(and seriously? I suppose this one could qualify in a fake 8 holder…. I suppose I won’t ever have to worry since this guy is a keeper)

But really wondered where the technical flaws were - I’ll post those images tomorrow.

Thx again

Jeff
Old 07-04-2021, 09:29 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I was only partially kidding about it being a future victim of fraud. But I'd bet it would be a top candidate based on the premium centering.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:45 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Also, it might just be a reflection of the holder or camera, but the back looks a bit wonky on my screen with a curve of lighter paper. If there are stains or even minor paper loss on the back, that too could tank the grade. Of course, that's the kind of card I like personally, as 95% of the time I'm looking at the front. And that front is a beauty.
Old 07-04-2021, 10:01 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankish View Post
Also, it might just be a reflection of the holder or camera, but the back looks a bit wonky on my screen with a curve of lighter paper. If there are stains or even minor paper loss on the back, that too could tank the grade. Of course, that's the kind of card I like personally, as 95% of the time I'm looking at the front. And that front is a beauty.
Yeah, nice card, terrible photographer! Here we go again… I just can’t find the wrinkles or creases - but they must be there!

I’ll try that link idea that was suggested… thx again all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 791E5457-E1CF-446C-98F4-D58C48FC8AAB.jpg (13.6 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg D015BF43-EFF2-4691-962E-D596862A500C.jpg (19.4 KB, 238 views)
Old 07-04-2021, 10:48 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Maybe try looking at it under a black light. Sometimes I see wrinkles with them.

Last edited by butchie_t; 07-04-2021 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:11 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
Maybe try looking at it under a black light. Sometimes I see wrinkles with them.
10-4, thx… will try that too
Old 07-04-2021, 03:44 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

There was this video posted recently that showed portions of the SGC (I believe) grading process, and by far the most revelatory thing to me was this machine they used to spot flaws. It seemed to be an x-ray/black light hybrid sort of thing which instantly picked up unseen defects like tiny wrinkles and whatnot. Instantly. My thought is if your Teddy was inserted into it, a nearly undetectable wrinkle would appear.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-05-2021, 06:04 AM
Bob F.

I suppose it's a good thing that people aren't equipped with x-ray/black light hybrid sort of eyes. We'd never be satisfied with anything we looked at. "Gee, honey. You're looking particularly wrinkly this evening. Please pass the imperfect dinner rolls."

Last edited by bobsbbcards; 07-05-2021 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:34 AM
Ian H@ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbcards View Post
I suppose it's a good thing that people aren't equipped with x-ray/black light hybrid sort of eyes. We'd never be satisfied with anything we looked at. "Gee, honey. You're looking particularly wrinkly this evening. Please pass the imperfect dinner rolls."
Thank you…for causing a scene in the living room, as I choked on my coffee just now…
Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906
Old 07-05-2021, 08:41 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Am tempted to submit to SGC for possible upgrade… think it’s worth the gamble? I know PSA graded cards carry a premium, but I have to pay wonder if Teddy might qualify for a +1 or greater bump in grade over the 4 he now has in this PSA

Anyone have experience to share with cross over efforts like this, from PSA to SGC?
Old 07-05-2021, 01:05 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I would keep it as is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
Am tempted to submit to SGC for possible upgrade… think it’s worth the gamble? I know PSA graded cards carry a premium, but I have to pay wonder if Teddy might qualify for a +1 or greater bump in grade over the 4 he now has in this PSA

Anyone have experience to share with cross over efforts like this, from PSA to SGC?
Both grading companies (SGC and PSA) are a HUGE crapshoot right now. An SGC 5 is not going to help you value wise. That is unless you like the way the card looks better in an SGC holder.....

Bob - hilarious - I suspect with those type of eyes the divorce rate might spike even higher!!

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:47 AM
J0hn Collin$

Grading anymore has extremely limited utility if you are still more of a collector than an investor. In a nutshell, yes - it's a crapshoot. I think we are at a point where more than ever before - the relationship between technical grading and eye appeal is at its most distant. I've seen cards that look like strong 6's come back PSA 3's, and others that look like they should be 3's get 4's. Who knows.