NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-05-2021, 07:22 PM

Default It may never happen but........

After the 52 Mantle, do you think there is another 50's card that will take off ?
Not like Mantle but a big mover that you'd invest in if you had the money, but what ?
Old 07-05-2021, 08:02 PM
Chris

Mays rookie.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:09 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larietrope View Post
After the 52 Mantle, do you think there is another 50's card that will take off ?
Not like Mantle but a big mover that you'd invest in if you had the money, but what ?
You can't go wrong with any 50's Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Clemente, etc.
If the market ever appreciates how good Ted Williams was and pays accordingly his 54 Wilson Franks should be a 5 figure card due to rarity, condition, and beauty.

If you're looking for 1 card to invest in that will increase quickly I'd say 53T Mantle. I would also say smart money would be investing in 2nd year cards of the big boys.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-05-2021, 08:16 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by larietrope View Post
I think 1955 Topps Roberto Clemente, which has already had a good run, will go higher.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:12 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
I think 1955 Topps Roberto Clemente, which has already had a good run, will go higher.
I agree. It's jumped quite a bit in the last couple of years, but is showing no sign of slowing down. I also think -

51 Bowman Mantle/Mays
54 Topps Aaron
54 Topps Banks
52 Topps Mays
Really ALL 50s Mantles/Mays/Aarons
55 Topps Koufax
59 Topps Gibson
57 Topps Brooks

Just digging into the 52s myself and noticed some super hot cards...I am sure the upcoming HOF decision will influence a certain 50s player (I NEED that 52 card...lol).

Not sure if anything will get to 52 Mantle status aside the 51 Mantle Bowman...but the 54 Aaron and the 55 Clemente should...both still under priced in opinion.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 07-06-2021, 08:42 PM
Al Stein

Clemente rookies are down 25% from 3 months ago.

Aaron and Mays, which both took ridiculous jumps over the last year, have dropped off more than Clemente but I would say those two are still overpriced and will fall some more.

Mantles have held up better than most cards the last few months, and since they didn't increase as much as some others over the last year they may be a good value now. I don't see a reason for any specific Mantle card to go up more than another though.

The player whose card values surprised me the most was Nolan Ryan. Didn't see that coming. So I would say the next big thing will be another pitcher. Pick your favorite. How about Bob Gibson?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2021, 08:53 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post

Aaron and Mays, which both took ridiculous jumps over the last year, have dropped off more than Clemente but I would say those two are still overpriced and will fall some more.

Mantles have held up better than most cards the last few months, and since they didn't increase as much as some others over the last year they may be a good value now. I don't see a reason for any specific Mantle card to go up more than another though.

The player whose card values surprised me the most was Nolan Ryan. Didn't see that coming. So I would say the next big thing will be another pitcher. Pick your favorite. How about Bob Gibson?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
You're so right about Nolan Ryan. I was early on the Ryan Express, watching his values explode, so I grabbed a couple of mid-grade (5.5, 6.5) 1971s that looked pretty sweet (and a PSA 9 OC 1970 #197 "Ryan Saves The Day!") at really good value prices. Hopefully it's just the beginning of his cards' ascent.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:03 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Interesting to see any data in "months"...clearly there was a spike but as a vintage buyer and not really a seller/dealer I can only see what I paid for a Clemente Rookie 4 years ago, vs one bought recently. A rather LARGE difference...

I did buy a Ryan rookie in March of 2020, an SGC 3 for $225. I remember having several to chose from. I don't think if I sold that same card today for the same price it would last too long...haha.

To be honest for a guy like me who just buys cards and not really caring about the investment either increase or decrease, a significant increase probably means I've evened out on some recent purchases...haha

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 07-07-2021, 06:01 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

As a kid in the late 80s/early 90s, it doesn't surprise me whatsoever that Ryan has exploded. He was THE MAN growing up. Everybody wanted to throw 100mph heat, and he did it year over year forever. I think his booming prices are probably driven by people my age who have started earning real income and can finally live the dream of owning the Ryan/Koosman and other vintage Ryan cards.

I think the same logic can be used to explain the boom in Bo Jackson lately, as well as Ken Griffey Jr. Childhood heroes finally becoming financially attainable all these years later.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:47 AM
Adam Wan.aselja

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
As a kid in the late 80s/early 90s, it doesn't surprise me whatsoever that Ryan has exploded. He was THE MAN growing up. Everybody wanted to throw 100mph heat, and he did it year over year forever. I think his booming prices are probably driven by people my age who have started earning real income and can finally live the dream of owning the Ryan/Koosman and other vintage Ryan cards.

I think the same logic can be used to explain the boom in Bo Jackson lately, as well as Ken Griffey Jr. Childhood heroes finally becoming financially attainable all these years later.
Exactly
Old 07-07-2021, 08:00 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
Ryan is interesting in that he was one of the few remaining active players who saw a vintage RC boom in the latter part of the first hobby explosion in the early 1990's. This was before grading, but once Nolan became a Ranger and it became clearer to everyone that he was on the verge of things like his 300th win and 5,000th K, that card just went through the roof. In an age when today's EX-MT was routinely considered NM or Mint - that card even in EX shape was selling for more than $1,000. It came back down to earth after a few years of that, and people realizing that (unlike the '67 Seaver...) it wasn't a particularly rare or tough card. Since then it has spiked and fallen pretty much along the same trend as the rest of the vintage hobby - but for a brief period of time I feel like that card was an anomaly. Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Williams, Koufax, et al. had all been retired for a long time and their cards were already worth big bucks. But it's like Ryan went from being a modern semi-star to vintage HOF status overnight. As a teenager around 1992-93, the RC was unattainable - and many of my friends and I were looking just for any early Ryan cards. I eventually landed an OC '73 Topps that I treasured for quite some time. But it was all instantly expensive. Any card of Nolan on the Mets was suddenly north of $100. I later remember paying about 50 bucks for a nicely centered '76 Topps Ryan - which by today's standards was insane for the early 90's.

Also interesting to me that Ryan and his cards didn't get hot until he went to the Texas Rangers, so like 1989 and later. When I started collecting in 1986, I can tell you nobody gave a flip about Nolan Ryan, despite the fact that he was a star pitcher with multiple strikeout records and 5 no-hitters under his belt at the time. As late as 1988, his RC was still only about a $200 item in NM in the Beckett yearly guides.

Last edited by jchcollins; 07-07-2021 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:02 AM
Johnny MaZilli

I would say 4 guys from my Childhood have the most potential upside

Ichiro, Jeter, Ken GriffeyJr, and Pujols.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:18 AM
Derek

T Gwynn. His rookie cards have been increasing rapidly. Sold some psa 10 dupes recently for almost 4x what i got them for in just a few years. 6d39b38e18b26b0e32d492edad7b3b61.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2021, 09:42 AM
Adam Wan.aselja

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD View Post
T Gwynn. His rookie cards have been increasing rapidly. Sold some psa 10 dupes recently for almost 4x what i got them for in just a few years.
His PSA 10 Topps RC is down about 50% from it's peak earlier this year when it was touching $5k.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:58 AM
Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanaselja View Post
His PSA 10 Topps RC is down about 50% from it's peak earlier this year when it was touching $5k.
Late 2019/ early 2020 83 Topps psa 10 Gwynns could be purchased for $500-600 range. They jumped to high 3ks but have leveled off in the mid 2k range. Seems like a pretty large return in a year. Even his Donoruss and Fleers have jumped 4x in 18 months. Sounds like a solid return to me.
But your right, yes they peaked at the beginning of 2021, like every other card in the world.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2021, 12:59 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't think you can discuss the 1989-present stuff, the 1981-88 stuff, and the older cards the same way. No one is going to pay up for a beater 1989 UD Griffey. Ever.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-07-2021, 01:07 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
No one is going to pay up for a beater 1989 UD Griffey. Ever.
You would think, but I've actually seen like a PSA 6 of that card sell for way more than it should just because it's rare in that grade. Sometimes collectors don't make much sense.