NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-31-2021, 05:05 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default New Orleans

I lived in the Chicago area for quite a few years. I don't think I ever had a bad pizza there. And there's all kinds of pizza in Chicago, not just the deep dish. You've got thin crust, thick crust , etc.
I am native of New Orleans. I would say you can't find bad pizza in Chicago, like you can't find bad Mexican food in Texas, or bad seafood in New Orleans.
Of course everyone has there own tastes, so to each his own.[/QUOTE]

Ah, New Orleans. What I would give right now to be sitting at "Dat Dog" on Magazine Street eating a hot dog with etoufee on top.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:29 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Detroit style pizza is quite interesting. Seems to be spreading in popularity. Small, square, a few kinds of cheese. Have had some lately even in NY NJ area.
Detroit-style is my favorite, having grown up in the Detroit area. I don't do the sauce on top though. Never had it that way when I was in Michigan. I prefer the cheese being on top.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_cvc View Post
As a pizza restaurant owner in Denver CO, I will firmly stand by the notion that great pizza or pie can be found in any corner of this country. Read American Pie, fun book by a "pizza guy" looking for the best pizza in the country. He settled on a place in Phoenix, which I've had, and is excellent. I've also had pizza from NY (I was born there), Chicago, Detroit, LA and many other places, and once again, I will stand by the notion that great pizza is everywhere.

Thanks for all the National updates!!
Your pizza is great and your were the best host ever at your restaurant, Jeff. It was several years ago but a memorable evening I won't forget. Thanks again for the hospitality!
Old 07-31-2021, 05:47 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

This thread should now be renamed

In Search of the Four-Bagger Pizza

A homerun has the better launch angle, but

A four-bagger pizza has the better lunch angle.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:37 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
This thread should now be renamed

In Search of the Four-Bagger Pizza

A homerun has the better launch angle, but

A four-bagger pizza has the better lunch angle.
Speaking of the homerun, Frank..."homerun" pizza...in your freezer section at your local grocer has always been a favorite of mine!!!!

Sad...here in MN there is pizzeria pizza thats multitudes worse than some frozen pizzas!
Old 07-31-2021, 07:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Anyone ever have pizza at Rocky Lee’s (defunct) in NYC? Sinatra’s favorite pie. It was outstanding thin crust.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-31-2021, 07:59 PM
Jimmy

Boston has some of the best pizza - North end and near near the Boston Garden! back to the show, planned on going as well and noticed COVID issues getting bad and I also had other priorities with my son going to college. Thanks for posting your story - always great to hear about things going around the hobby. Another reason not worth the trip was no PSA or SGC on-site grading and the crowds mentioned. The Northeast has done well with COVID recently, so never thought about it for a few months, now again it’s quickly changing. What is also interesting is we started shows again in Mass, lots of good crowds and in some cases hard to see or walk around the tables. Have not heard of outbreaks from shows, so will be interesting to hear what happens after this big national show.

Be safe! Happy collecting

Jimmy

Last edited by jbsports33; 07-31-2021 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:50 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Villa Napoli is the hidden gem within delivery of all the Rosemont hotels. Always, always thin crust.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:48 AM
Jeff R

Default Humbled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Your pizza is great and your were the best host ever at your restaurant, Jeff. It was several years ago but a memorable evening I won't forget. Thanks again for the hospitality!
I’m just getting home from a busy night at the restaurant and just now seeing this post Leon. You humble me with your kind words and the kindness your family showered upon us that evening. It was a special night for me to host you, pick your brain, learn about cardboard and expand my knowledge. Thank you. I look forward to a repeat somewhere down the road.

If anyone on this forum is visiting Denver and wants to talk cards, please contact me. A pizza on me if you come to my restaurant!
Successful Net54 transactions with: t206fix x2, Shammus, mybuddyinc x3, FrankWakefield, Brian Van Horn, Jrsox, Vintagetoppsguy, powderfinger, Bocabirdman x2, Baseball*Collectibles, bcbgcbrcb, Vintageismygame, usernamealreadytaken, oldjudge x2, Joshchisox08, rocarroll, Voodoochild, Sebie43 and frankbmd and more...
Old 08-01-2021, 11:06 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Net 54 is Simply Amazing

A member searching for Pie in Chicago ends up with free pizza in Denver.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:33 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_cvc View Post
I’m just getting home from a busy night at the restaurant and just now seeing this post Leon. You humble me with your kind words and the kindness your family showered upon us that evening. It was a special night for me to host you, pick your brain, learn about cardboard and expand my knowledge. Thank you. I look forward to a repeat somewhere down the road.

If anyone on this forum is visiting Denver and wants to talk cards, please contact me. A pizza on me if you come to my restaurant!
I may have to go to Denver now. Some nice edibles as an appetizer, perhaps?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-01-2021, 03:06 PM
Jeff R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I may have to go to Denver now. Some nice edibles as an appetizer, perhaps?
Why do you think the pizza business is so good in Colorado now!
Successful Net54 transactions with: t206fix x2, Shammus, mybuddyinc x3, FrankWakefield, Brian Van Horn, Jrsox, Vintagetoppsguy, powderfinger, Bocabirdman x2, Baseball*Collectibles, bcbgcbrcb, Vintageismygame, usernamealreadytaken, oldjudge x2, Joshchisox08, rocarroll, Voodoochild, Sebie43 and frankbmd and more...
Old 08-02-2021, 02:17 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks87 View Post
It's been almost 30 years since I have been to the National. The last one I went to was also in Chicago, but two experiences that couldn't be any more different.

Regarding the title of the thread, I was looking for a Diamond Stars #99 Pie Traynor to complete my set. I thought that it would be a home run, slam dunk and easy one to close out. Either I was minutes behind someone who was snatching them up, or it is a much harder card to find than I thought it would be. I spoke with 30+ dealers, maybe more, saw some great stuff, but never found it, so that was a bummer.

My observations of the event, overall, I have never seen so many amazing cards in one place. That said, I have never seen so many BIG numbers on cards either. I was horribly underfunded, not that I was going in to tear it up and roll in there like an rockstar, but the state of the industry has totally passed me by. I picked up a couple of small things, but just wasn't in the ballpark on the prices that people were looking to get for cards.

Second thing I noticed is the amount of cash changing hands, not small sums either and there are a lot of younger guys wheeling and dealing, literally everyone seems to have a rolling case of cards or a suitcase full of unopened boxes. The shiny new stuff seems to be king, easy to walk by, but there is a TON of it out there. Brave new world for sure, but again, I couldn't tell you what's good or bad in the new stuff, but there are guys swapping tens of thousands of dollars over cases. Interesting to see, but not the kind of collector that I am.

Overall, it was fun, not sure that I will need to go back any time soon. I stayed at the Hyatt Regency across the street, super convenient, they were not prepared for influx of hungry people, their restaurant had a 45 minute wait to order and about an hour wait to get food according to a couple people that I spoke to as I was walking out, down to their grab and go for the classic Gatorade and popcorn dinner.

One last thing, if you are concerned about Covid, Delta variants etc, you might steer clear of this. There are a ton of people there and a very small amount of masks (the show does provide free masks to those who want them). I wore mine the whole time, but in a crowd that big, I am not sure that it would have helped even though I am fully vaccinated. Going from working at home to jumping into that setting was a little uncomfortable, but I masked up, and tried to be as careful as I could. If I didn't have to be there for a work project, I would have passed.

Hats off to the vendors, organizers, and all the fans, it was one to remember. I'm still looking for a reasonably price, low grade Pie Traynor, the hunt will continue online.
A few of those "new kids" need a course in etiquette. A swap meet broke out on the corner of one of my showcases. It didn't take me long to let them know that would not be happening. Fairly rude bunch of little brats too.