NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Banned

Default The National

What tips would you give to a person who will be attending his first national show? What is recommended as far as tickets? Is there anything that a person should make sure to attend, etc.? How about the autograph guests and prices? What is your best bang for the buck on things that will be available not counting the cards that one is collecting?

Last edited by jrog007; 07-09-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:31 PM
JeR@Me

Default National...

If you can make Wednesday, they are giving away free game tix to Angels v Orioles game later that night... ( I like buying the tickets online in advance to shave off a few bucks)
Old 07-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Banned

So, do you buy general admission tickets or do you buy one of the packages?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:22 AM
JeR@Me

Default Tix

For me it GA due to scheduling... I always come in for Wed - Fri (Fly in Wed day, Fly out Fri night). If you are in for the whole week, the pkgs are a good choice. Really depends on your schedule.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Banned

I will be there for the whole show. I am thinking about the SuperVIP package. That seems like the best deal for what I plan to do.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:32 AM

I hear they keep the crabs in the Super VIP room.
Good luck to all at the show,
Bob
Old 07-10-2010, 07:35 PM

Here's a beginner's guide to the National:

My advice to first timers is to wear comfortable shoes, carry a large shoulder bag or a pack for your cash, want lists, top loads, plastic cases, and a small box for graded cards. Leave your coat/jacket/sweater in your car. it will be warm at the show. Bring a pen and a notebook to keep track of your purchases and to make a map of dealer booths so you can remember where you saw particular items. Don't pay the listed price for anything. Many times the dealers will offer you a discount before you ask for one. It doesn't hurt to ask for a larger discount that the one that they offer. If you are looking for specific items in specific grades, make a list of the prices that you are willing to pay. It is easy to overpay at the show. If you look hard enough you will find a few bargains, but it may take some time. Bring a small flashlight,a loupe, and a magnifying glass. Bring some $1 bills and $5 bills. It is surprising how many dealers don't have enough change.

When you see a card in a dealers showcase with no price, and you ask the dealer how much he wants for it, usually if he says, "hold on a minute, I'll look it up", you can count on the dealer asking for much more than it is worth. Generally he will be looking for suckers who are willing to overpay, or he really doesn't know how much it is worth and he is "fishing" to see what you will offer. It seems like some of the dealers don't like to acknowledge that you are looking at their cards, and that you may like to buy something from them. They are too busy eating, reading, or sorting their cards to look up and say "hi". It also seems that the dealers who do acknowledge you, talk to you, and ask you questions are the ones who are willing to be flexible on their prices. Some of the dealers are there to sell their cards and turn over their inventory, and some seem to bring the same overpriced crap to show after show.

Also, do get together with other collectors & dealers. It's a great way to put some faces to the names of the Net54 members. People can be quite different face to face than they are on the forum.

You will have a blast at the show even if you don't buy anything.

Alan
Old 07-10-2010, 11:36 PM
Banned

Alan,
Thanks for taking the time to provide some great information.
Jim
Old 07-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Rich Klein

Default Alan wont be purchasing any cards

At the show; instead he'll be having his beers (or other liquids) with everyone that posts on this board

Nah; in all seriousness, the other piece of advice for a one-day visitor to the National if is you see something you must have and the price is right; pull the trigger immediately -- otherwise you might not

1) Remember where you saw the item

2) The dealer may very well have sold the item/not be at the table

Rich
Old 07-11-2010, 11:55 AM

I've been to 3 Nationals, 2 in Chicago and 1 in Cleveland.

I only had time to spend one day, so as others have said, take a notebook, and jot down the table number where you saw something you might want, or you will have great difficulty finding it again.

Take something to put your cards in like a satchel or camera bag.

If I could I'd try to spend 2 days.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Banned

I actually plan to be there for the entire week (5 Days).

Last edited by jrog007; 07-11-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

In addition to the supplies suggest by Alan, bring a first-aid kit.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
In addition to the supplies suggest by Alan, bring a first-aid kit.
And drawn butter for the crabs.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Penicillin.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Um, not that I would have any personal knowledge on such a topic but I can state with total certainty that penicillin does not help with the crabs.