NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-29-2015, 04:36 PM
John E.

Default Need help identifying player who wore this: mid-80's Modesto A's

Got this for Christmas, it's the green one at center. Number on back is 22.

I know it's a Modesto A's game worn. And I know they wore this style from 1983 thru 1987.

But does anyone know one or more of the players who wore #22? Unfortunately my research on this is stuck because I'm lacking game programs from those years. Anyone have any idea?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0171.jpg (65.7 KB, 140 views)
Old 12-30-2015, 08:11 AM
J Stone

Don't know if this will help but Rick Langford wore #22 for the Oakland A's during that period. Those jerseys were also used for Spring Training and it's more than likely that Langdon wore that same #22 you have at some point in time.

Langford also pitched two games for Modesto, one in 1983 and one in 1985, probably conditioning starts after an injury layoff since Modesto is only a couple of hours from Oakland, so it wouldn't be a stretch that he wore #22 for those starts if the Modesto roster did not have a player wearing that number.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:58 AM
John E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
Don't know if this will help but Rick Langford wore #22 for the Oakland A's during that period. Those jerseys were also used for Spring Training and it's more than likely that Langdon wore that same #22 you have at some point in time.

Langford also pitched two games for Modesto, one in 1983 and one in 1985, probably conditioning starts after an injury layoff since Modesto is only a couple of hours from Oakland, so it wouldn't be a stretch that he wore #22 for those starts if the Modesto roster did not have a player wearing that number.
Thanks...I'm a little hesitant to say these were used in the Spring for the A's at that point...note the break in the cross of the A...that was exclusively a minor league thing for the A's at that point. I took a look at some spring training footage from '84 (see attached photo...which was clear in the video but now is blurry...but trust me) and the A connects. It's only in those old stills from the minors where this comes up - specifically the Modesto and Albany-Colonie teams. Given that I'm an hour and a half from Modesto, I figure its theirs.

Really what I need to do is find an old program or two from that era and see what's listed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2015-12-30-07h55m45s317.jpg (17.7 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by JMEnglish27; 12-30-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:04 AM
John E.

Umm...I just found this. The card # is 5. But look at the # to the right of the name.

I think I may have done well here...for an A's fan this is amazing if it's actually the case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canseco.jpg (17.0 KB, 105 views)
Old 12-30-2015, 10:44 AM
John E.

Mystery solved...and wowee.

So, 1983, they were still wearing hand me downs from the Finley years. Lighter green, etc.

1984 they wore this style, and Jose Canseco was #22
1985 they wore this style, and Bob Loscalzo was #22

1986 they switched to a different green jersey.

I'm over the moon, this is great. Not solid enough to say yes, this was definitely worn by Jose Canseco, but enough to make my wife's $50 purchase even more of a great buy.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:40 AM
And.rew Whi.te

There is a HUGE Canseco collector on another board that I have let know about this thread. He is such a huge collector that he has been at Canseco's house and regularly trades tweets with him.

If you are selling he might have interest but at the very least, he enjoys a good sports mystery such as this and will enjoy the read.

Great story!
Old 12-30-2015, 11:43 AM
John E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
There is a HUGE Canseco collector on another board that I have let know about this thread. He is such a huge collector that he has been at Canseco's house and regularly trades tweets with him.

If you are selling he might have interest but at the very least, he enjoys a good sports mystery such as this and will enjoy the read.

Great story!
I'd love to hear his thoughts...I'm hoping to track this down to 100% certainty. The '86 year it looks like this style is still floating around a bit too...and there's a sleeve anomaly going on every year too...one guy has two stripes, next guy has three. Typical minor league stuff, I know.

The jersey's a size 44. Doesn't seem unreasonable that young Jose was in that then.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:25 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post

Great story!
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Mouschi. He's on this board, too.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...hlight=canseco
Old 12-30-2015, 02:29 PM
Rob

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...hlight=mouschi
Old 12-30-2015, 02:59 PM

I'm the guy he was talking about - great jersey no matter what! It does look like it might be a 1986 jersey though . The Modesto A's cards I've seen in 84 and 85 have 3 stripes on the sleeves, whereas the 86 Modesto A's cards have 2 stripes. Nice pickup either way though
Old 12-30-2015, 03:18 PM
John E.

Yup, that's the stripe anomaly I was referring to. Any idea who it would have been for '86?

I've come across a photo or two from pre-86 with two stripes, and an '86 photo with three stripes, so...There's some oddity with '86 too where some guys have a slightly different A's logo across front too.

I'm as happy as can be with it though.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj7489 View Post
Yup, that's the stripe anomaly I was referring to. Any idea who it would have been for '86?

I've come across a photo or two from pre-86 with two stripes, and an '86 photo with three stripes, so...There's some oddity with '86 too where some guys have a slightly different A's logo across front too.

I'm as happy as can be with it though.
I couldn't find any numbers for guys on the 86 team, sorry!
Old 12-30-2015, 03:29 PM
John E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
I couldn't find any numbers for guys on the 86 team, sorry!
Yeah. I'm fully intrigued now and I'm gonna brave the cold tonight to dig through some crates in the garage. I could swear I have either an '86 program or maybe a Fresno one vs. Modesto...its just buried somewhere. I'll post updates if I find any.