NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Anybody else sick of MLB?

I'm a huge Ron Santo fan and read the Santo HOF thread with interest, but never replied. I typed out about five different replies about why Santo belonged in the Hall, but never hit send for whatever reason.

Now Ryan Braun, the MVP, tests positive for drugs BEFORE he won the MVP! I know baseball has had it's eras - bigots like Anson and Cobb, gamblers like Speaker, Cobb, and the Black Sox, drunks in 50s, LSD in the sixties, and steroids now. MLB always works through it, I guess. But it really makes me appreciate a guy like Santo, who dealt with diabetes his entire career and loved the game for what it was. Mark Grace was another guy like that - those are my HOFers. You can have the rest...I'm done with these guys like A-Rod, Bonds, and Co.

Good night, Jose Cardenal, wherever you are...

Take Care,
Geno
Old 12-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Kevin Andrews

As far as I'm concerned it's still 755/61.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-baseball View Post
As far as I'm concerned it's still 755/61.
Agreed
Old 12-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Jeff

Where you find massive amounts of money, there to you will often find bad behavior. Is anyone surprised? Maybe it's a false positive.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-10-2011, 06:41 PM
TT40391

Default Thanks for your input

I agree with this good sir. I appreciate the players that played because they loved it. The first player I ever collected was Hoyt Wilhelm for the same reasons you listed above.

Tony
Old 12-10-2011, 07:03 PM

They are behind as far as testing goes, but in the NFL if you fail a drug test you are ineligible to win any year end awards. Happened because Shawn Meriweather nearly won the Defensive Player of the Year in the season he was suspended for three games.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Steve Peissig

I can't wait until they start testing for HGH. There's a reason why the Players Association in the NFL backed out of that one when they were suppose to start testing this year.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:12 PM

It's safe to say there's a lot of PED use in the NFL. Anyone who says otherwise is full of it.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Alan U

Problem is, my understanding is there isn't a definitive test for HGH.

Steroids have been around for a long time, so whose to say some of the players in the 70's weren't using them too.

The players taking the PED's might have just as much love for the game as anyone else, it has more to do with what you will do to be able to play that game at the highest level.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Steve Skibel

It is really amazing how these players continue to try and find a way to cheat and think they are not going to get caught. So can we call Matt Kemp the 2011 NL MVP?
Old 12-10-2011, 07:14 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I'm perfectly willing to wait and see what happens with the Braun thing, before making judgement...Obviously due to the past 20+ years we're all more that willing to assume the worst, and to an extent, I believe there would some justification in that assumption. He may or may not be in the wrong here, but we've gotta keep level heads and wait for everything to come out.

Having said that, he was probably using..
Old 12-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
I'm perfectly willing to wait and see what happens with the Braun thing, before making judgement...Obviously due to the past 20+ years we're all more that willing to assume the worst, and to an extent, I believe there would some justification in that assumption. He may or may not be in the wrong here, but we've gotta keep level heads and wait for everything to come out.

David,
It would certainly be nice for that to be the case for a change.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Maybe...

He failed the first test, then a subsequent test, according to ESPN. So yep, maybe it's not real...

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post

Old 12-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Brian Macdonald

I visited the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown last month. For me, being an active fan of major league baseball ended with the strike in 1994. At the HOF, I would carefully look at historic displays, then come across a more recent artifact and move right along without giving it any notice. I don't want to be cynical, but they (players and owners) lost me in '94. In it's place, old time baseball, for all its faults and follies, takes the place of todays games. I don't know todays players, even the big stars. This years Cy Young winners or MVP's...not a clue. And that's unfortunate.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

If those chain smoking taters w/gravy eatin party to all hours daily during the season alcoholic greenie poppers would have lifted a weight during their career, maybe those numbers they put up might still stand.

I like all Eras of Baseball, they all have their good and bad sides...

PS Im 45 yrsold 210#, and can still do 20 pullups and 100 straight pushups.... (did it today) But I also shop only at healthfood stores and farmers markets and do heavy yardwork daily...
wonder if DiMaggio Ruth or Williams could do 20 pullups at 25 yrsold let alone 40??? I wouldnt think so looking at their bodies... IM sure Foxx could before he hit the bottle...

Last edited by fkw; 12-10-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Alan U

The real test will be when Braun comes back and if his HR production goes down or if he starts getting injured.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:40 AM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkw View Post
I like all Eras of Baseball, they all have their good and bad sides...
+1

The system is flawed, guys basically juice to a 3-1 testosterone to epitestosterone level. The test doesn't come back positive until its 4-1. Just try to enjoy baseball for what it is...

Last edited by Ease; 12-11-2011 at 07:08 AM.