NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-29-2013, 12:54 PM

Default What would you do? Grading question

First, I'll say these cards aren't for sale and hopefully won't be for a long time, so factor that into your thinking. I was thinking of getting some cards graded, just some of the better ones and thought about these four cards. They are all upside down Piedmonts, with four backs showing(scan is flipped for better viewing). Three of them should get decent grades(no creases or flaws besides corners), the Davis is a little beat up.

The thing in my mind, is that I like the display factor, putting the backs together so it looks like a partial sheet. With that being said though, I don't just sit there and put them together like that every once in awhile. I usually look at the scan if I want to do that. So unless SGC/PSA comes out with a holder big enough for four cards, and they won't move around, getting them graded ruins that display aspect.

If these cards were yours and you planned out keeping them, what would you do? Grade them and look at the scan if you want to see them together? Don't grade them because it would ruin the display? Or just hold off on grading until it's time to sell? I've thought about all three choices for awhile
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4backies.jpg (38.7 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg 4backs.jpg (59.7 KB, 229 views)
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 03-29-2013, 12:59 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Have you tried contacting SGC to see if they would be willing to make a custom sleeve that would hold all 4? They may be able to use a bigger holder like used for T3s with a custom insert. Then on the slip they can grade each card with the grade next to the name. It would be a very neat display.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:04 PM
Paul

Get 'em graded and make the connection with a scan like you have already done.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 03-29-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Have you tried contacting SGC to see if they would be willing to make a custom sleeve that would hold all 4? They may be able to use a bigger holder like used for T3s with a custom insert. Then on the slip they can grade each card with the grade next to the name. It would be a very neat display.
I asked a friend(Johnny V) to ask next time he went there to grade cards. He always goes and talks to them, brings them oddities, so I figured he could ask. I'm not sure if they would be able to actually align/position the cards so they didn't move at all. It would have to be a pretty tight fit so there is no movement at all. If one cards slips behind another, even a little bit, it basically ruins the whole thing.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 03-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Ad@m Be11

It's a cool effect that would be impossible to replicate once graded. When displaying or sharing your cards with others, do you show them this in person or do you just show them a picture? If it's just a picture then I'd grade, but if you like to play the whole,"Bet you've never seen this before", parlor trick game, I'd just keep them raw.
E106: 4/48
E210-1: Completed December 2013
R319: 43/240
Old 03-29-2013, 01:26 PM
Rob G.

Neat cards!

Personally, I wouldn't grade them.

Also, when it does come time to sell these, the customer likely won't be someone putting together a mid-grade set that needs the cards individually, want them holdered, put them in set-order, never to put the backs together again.

The customer instead will buy them due to the backs fitting together and they will want to put the backs together raw to see how well they match, etc. I don't think the grade will matter to them as much.

just my preference and 0.02, good luck w/your decision!
Rob
Old 03-29-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBST95 View Post
It's a cool effect that would be impossible to replicate once graded. When displaying or sharing your cards with others, do you show them this in person or do you just show them a picture? If it's just a picture then I'd grade, but if you like to play the whole,"Bet you've never seen this before", parlor trick game, I'd just keep them raw.
I don't show off cards too often in person and thinking about it, I've had them 11 years and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who has seen them(in person) put together like that. The people who see my cards are family or close friends and most of them want to see my Babe Ruth cards...which I have zero of. The Dots Miller cards get more attention than any others, so cards like these have close to zero interest for family/friends.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:40 PM

I have often wondered if I could get my Tinker, Evers and Chance T206's in a single graded slab. Right now they're bunched together pretty closely in a screw-down. Still looks pretty cool. Harry Steinfeldt didn't fit.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
Neat cards!

Personally, I wouldn't grade them.

Also, when it does come time to sell these, the customer likely won't be someone putting together a mid-grade set that needs the cards individually, want them holdered, put them in set-order, never to put the backs together again.

The customer instead will buy them due to the backs fitting together and they will want to put the backs together raw to see how well they match, etc. I don't think the grade will matter to them as much.

just my preference and 0.02, good luck w/your decision!
Rob

That is what I was thinking Rob, if I did sell the cards, they might be worth more as a group, but also it might be better to keep them as a group. I meant to mention this above, I have seen only three others like this and there might be one more. Someone told me they knew of another back when I only knew of two, but didn't know who the player was, so the third one I know now might be that one. Anyway, it just means this is something that may never be replicated, so it is best to keep them together.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:03 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectorsince62 View Post
I have often wondered if I could get my Tinker, Evers and Chance T206's in a single graded slab. Right now they're bunched together pretty closely in a screw-down. Still looks pretty cool. Harry Steinfeldt didn't fit.
This is exactly the kind of minor ingenuity I think this situation needs. With a bit of thinking you could figure out a cool DIY display yourself, or ask other resourceful members of the forum -- I've seen their photos. This way, you get the best of both worlds, ie, you obviously love playing with the cards on occasion so why get them graded unless you want to sell?
Old 03-29-2013, 03:49 PM

Default Bvg

If interested, I believe we at BVG could do this (put them all in a single slab with seals in between the cards to prevent movement).
Old 03-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Alex

I wouldn't grade them. I might make high res copies and make a framed display.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:36 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Get 'em graded and make the connection with a scan like you have already done.
+1
Old 03-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by GehrigFan View Post
If interested, I believe we at BVG could do this (put them all in a single slab with seals in between the cards to prevent movement).
^ My vote... If you do get them graded.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:15 PM
Rob G.

Quote:
Just wondering, how would the grade on the slab read if the cards were technically different? Or 3 separate grades?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I'd have to see how it looks/works with something else. I think the seals would break the cards up too much, so it didn't have that partial sheet feel to it. Message me about it.

That might be something more people are interested in as well. I bet someone with all four of the Cobbs would like something like that, or as someone else said, the Cubs infield
Old 03-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
great idea cant hurt to ask, i would think they would jump at the chance to slab something like that. But if not keep them raw
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Steve Birmingham

If you've got a screwdown big enough for all four cutting a gasket like they use in the slabs is pretty easy. And most art stores sell acid free matboard in a few colors. Something close to Piedmont blue might be nice for these.

I think I have some light green and black and maybe one other color around and could put something together after the weekend.

Steve B