NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-09-2022, 12:18 PM
Peter Nordquist

Default PayPal friends vs goods

Hey guys,
I’m currently considering a deal for a significant chunk of change. I’ve noticed the pattern of Net54 members using PayPal f&f putting the buyer at total risk. I’ve gotten used to this as I see generally people trust each other in this community and for good reason. The buyer on my potential deal has more posts over the years than I, but I have been much more active lately and like to think I’ve established myself. However he is pretty set on using goods & services and is willing to pay the fees. This used to be the way I did every deal until PayPal was used against me as the seller because the buyer was a weasel and changed his mind and tried to get a partial refund back (not a Net54 member). Should I have any reason for concern selling via PayPal goods and services? Thanks for any feedback.
Thanks
Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2022, 12:30 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

On the seller's side of things, the tax implications is the biggest difference. Friends and family payments don't need to be reported as income, but good and services payments will subject you to a 1099 if the money you made is over a certain threshold. $600 I believe.

On the buyer's end, they are protected by PayPal (and their credit card company) if the package does not arrive, for whatever reason.
Old 04-09-2022, 12:36 PM
Peter Nordquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
On the seller's side of things, the tax implications is the biggest difference. Friends and family payments don't need to be reported as income, but good and services payments will subject you to a 1099 if the money you made is over a certain threshold. $600 I believe.

On the buyer's end, they are protected by PayPal (and their credit card company) if the package does not arrive, for whatever reason.

Ah yes good ole taxes. I do claim my sales but do like to make my own decision to do so versus being sent a schedule K/1099-K or whatever it’s called. Good reminder. Thank you for the quick response.

Old 04-09-2022, 03:34 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjere View Post
Hey guys,
I’m currently considering a deal for a significant chunk of change. I’ve noticed the pattern of Net54 members using PayPal f&f putting the buyer at total risk. I’ve gotten used to this as I see generally people trust each other in this community and for good reason. The buyer on my potential deal has more posts over the years than I, but I have been much more active lately and like to think I’ve established myself. However he is pretty set on using goods & services and is willing to pay the fees. This used to be the way I did every deal until PayPal was used against me as the seller because the buyer was a weasel and changed his mind and tried to get a partial refund back (not a Net54 member). Should I have any reason for concern selling via PayPal goods and services? Thanks for any feedback.
Thanks
Peter

Depends on who the buyer is and if you are getting a fair price after taxes.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:39 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I've been burned in the past by a long time trusted member, (on another forum). Lesson learned, I never use F&F for any transaction anymore.

Packages can get lost or damaged, disputes about condition can happen. If a seller is afraid of buyers who choose to protect themselves, thats not a seller I would trust anyway.
Old 04-10-2022, 04:33 AM
Peter Nordquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
I've been burned in the past by a long time trusted member, (on another forum). Lesson learned, I never use F&F for any transaction anymore.

Packages can get lost or damaged, disputes about condition can happen. If a seller is afraid of buyers who choose to protect themselves, thats not a seller I would trust anyway.

As previously mentioned I thought the same way until operating on this forum. I was surprised at the amount of people who only do friends and family, but it seems to be mostly tax and profit related. I have a good friend who sold a Mike trout auto rookie via PayPal goods. If I remember right, the buyer decided to return it but returned a different card, yet the tracking showed returned and PayPal awarded the return so the seller was out a trout and $12k! How is the seller protected in that scenario?

Old 04-10-2022, 10:20 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
As previously mentioned I thought the same way until operating on this forum. I was surprised at the amount of people who only do friends and family, but it seems to be mostly tax and profit related. I have a good friend who sold a Mike trout auto rookie via PayPal goods. If I remember right, the buyer decided to return it but returned a different card, yet the tracking showed returned and PayPal awarded the return so the seller was out a trout and $12k! How is the seller protected in that scenario?

Theres no way for a seller to be protected in a situation like that. Its one word against another. Unfortunately, those situations do happen.

Should PayPal reimburse your friend $12K on his word that the wrong card was sent back? Thats a scumbag buyer, PayPal didn't do anything wrong.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:16 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Theres no way for a seller to be protected in a situation like that. Its one word against another. Unfortunately, those situations do happen.

Should PayPal reimburse your friend $12K on his word that the wrong card was sent back? Thats a scumbag buyer, PayPal didn't do anything wrong.
Beyond scumbag; that buyer is a criminal committing five-figure fraud (presumably) through the mail.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 04-11-2022, 07:39 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:

This is exactly why I just prefer friends and family. There's fraud risk either way (to the seller one way, to the buyer the other way), so the net gain is 0. I don't deal with people I don't know by at least reputation for any sizable amounts.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:55 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
This is exactly why I just prefer friends and family. There's fraud risk either way (to the seller one way, to the buyer the other way), so the net gain is 0. I don't deal with people I don't know by at least reputation for any sizable amounts.
Couldn't agree more. Plus I have had one of those only pay with G&S screw me twice. I rarely sell on here but in my listing I put if paying with G&S buyer was to pay fees. Buyer agreed and then never paid the fees. I over looked it and then the same buyer done it a second time. I was pissed but over looked it again. Unfortunately they have never bought another item from me so I could refund their payment and tell then what a cheap POS they are.