NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Paul

Default Simple Poll: PSA 5 w/ Crease -- Disclose?

What responsibility do sellers have to disclose when a card that achieves a grade that is obviously an over-grade because of a crease or paper loss? Does your answer change if the seller is an auction house, dealer or private collector?

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 06-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Disclose; it's the right thing to do.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:08 PM
edward broeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Disclose; it's the right thing to do.
and the buyer may request a refund if not disclosed i would think

looking for 1952 topps high series commons
Old 06-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Don't disclose so you can get full value for those who collect the slab and not the card. But be prepared to graciously accept returns for those who care.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default disclose

My motto of "no surprises"...always disclose....as I did today in a small transaction with a board member. Now when he gets his card he won't have the "OH SH**" factor Nothing changes with the person, venue or company selling it. Always disclose...
Old 06-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
My motto of "no surprises"...always disclose....as I did today in a small transaction with a board member. Now when he gets his card he won't have the "OH SH**" factor Nothing changes with the person, venue or company selling it. Always disclose...
If someone consigns a group of a dozen or so PSA 5 T206 cards to B&L, how well do you examine them to make sure they're accurately graded?

This is admittedly a tough question. If I ran an auction house, I don't know how much time or energy I would put into this endeavor.

@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 06-27-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:24 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Always disclose. The grading system is inherently flawed, and it's not enough to simply call it a "5", "6", "7" or whatever, with no further description rendered.

I'm amazed at how many sellers do this, and would never re-purchase from one of them after being burned in this manner.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Paul

Default This is a meaningless poll

I just realized that all buyers will want the disclosure, and no sellers will admit to not wanting to disclose. I think the problem is that sellers, by and large will not, but hopefully will offer refunds to annoyed customers.

@SignedT206
Old 06-27-2011, 06:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
If someone consigns a group of a dozen or so PSA 5 T206 cards to B&L, how well do you examine them to make sure they're accurately graded?

This is admittedly a tough question. If I ran an auction house, I don't know how much time or energy I would put into this endeavor.
Of course I am going to say we spend a lot of time...but not because it would sound stupid of me not to, but because we do. Admittedly I am not with Scott on receipt of every single card so can't speak for him but I know he looks at them very well too. Any question is fine...I might not respond to all of them, but any are fine .
Old 06-27-2011, 06:46 PM

I would disclose the crease in the listing.

Although this is a different scenario, it reminds me of the T206 Elberfeld BL460 that REA offered a few years ago:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/.../2008/198.html

Last edited by asoriano; 06-27-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:01 PM
J@son M1ller

Default agree

I always post larger than life photos and disclose any condition issues. As Leon stated, it allows the buyer to know what they are getting and limits the surprise factor. Though I think I have limited my $$ on many transactions, I'm happy to say that no one has returned a card that I've sold them.

The hassle-free transaction is worth the loss of a few bucks.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:18 PM
MikeHealer

Here's one I bought on ebay(auction not BIN) from a seller that informed me he doesn't take return on graded cards. I don't agree with his policy, but I wasn't going to argue so just kept it and don't bid on his auctions anymore. By the way the crease wasn't visible in his less than stellar scan.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default that sucks

That sucks, Mike....That is the "OH SH**" I am referring to....
Old 06-27-2011, 07:26 PM
Justin Cur.ze

What was PSA thinking?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:36 PM
MikeHealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle20 View Post
What was PSA thinking?
They weren't thinking they were drinking.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:

At 19.5% buyer premiums, they better put time and energy.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeCollector View Post
At 19.5% buyer premiums, they better put time and energy.
Absolutely. And we should even do it for fees of 12.5% Buyers Premium- (always) and 0% sellers premium- (always)....which is actually the way we do it. best regards
Old 06-27-2011, 07:56 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

F*ck Yeah, it better be disclosed. You are buying a card that is in EX condition, and NOT one that has just simply been graded EX..
Old 06-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Absolutely. And we should even do it for fees of 12.5% Buyers Premium- (always) and 0% sellers premium- (always)....which is actually the way we do it. best regards
Agreed
Old 06-27-2011, 08:20 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I dislike slabbing, but if that is your standard, should you not also disclose when you feel a card has been overgraded?

"A very weak 6, probably should have been no better than a 4 using any reasonable measure. The corners show too much wear and the centering is off."
Old 06-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I dislike slabbing, but if that is your standard, should you not also disclose when you feel a card has been overgraded?

"A very weak 6, probably should have been no better than a 4 using any reasonable measure. The corners show too much wear and the centering is off."
I think we can differentiate and not critique conditions which are more subjective and also can clearly be seen. Check out Mike's PSA 5 w/heavy front wrinkle, that is what I am referring to, not the fact that one corner might be a 4.5 and the others are 5.0s, or it's a little off center etc... We could have a whole separate thread about auction descriptions. regards
Old 06-27-2011, 09:12 PM
J@son M1ller

Please let's end the talk of "weak 6" OR "strong 5". That is still subjective.

I say things like... "Upper right corner ding, crease running from hand over to the right border. Brown stain on the back", etc.

To me the comments about the grading is putting subjectivity on top of subjectivity. It never sways me one way or the other when people say "way undergraded". I look at the card for myself and determine if it is over or under graded. I'm too cynical to take a seller's opinion of their card seriously. Too many years watching commercials without the benefit of Tivo has left me numb to "seller speak".

Last edited by Jaybird; 06-27-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:13 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Doesn't PSA, and SGC for that matter, have a policy that allows you to re-submit clearly over graded cards.. and if they determine card(s) is over graded, they will pay the difference (or a portion) in value once re-holdered?? I have 2-3 that DEFINITELY meet this criteria, and have always considered contacting PSA/SGC, but haven't gotten around to it. Two are 5's with small creases/wrinkles, not as prominant as the Meyers', but nonetheless both should be no higher than 4s.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Michael..Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehealer View Post
Here's one I bought on ebay(auction not BIN) from a seller that informed me he doesn't take return on graded cards. I don't agree with his policy, but I wasn't going to argue so just kept it and don't bid on his auctions anymore. By the way the crease wasn't visible in his less than stellar scan.

Its not that uncommon for a PSA-slabbed 5 to have a crease. I have never seen a 6 with a meaningful crease unless its on a corner. BUT, when you're buying anything 6 or below, its always good to ask. I bought a mid-grade PSA 5 slabbed '54 Aaron a few years back and it had a minor crease starting on the right edge coming in about 1.5 inches. The seller refunded my money, but after seeing that card, I ALWAYS ask about creases/wrinkles before buying now.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:10 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Obviously he missed the boat here. Years back, I tended to trust the graders flip (a little moreso with SGC). Now I pregrade, before sending them out. I'm certain PSA's authentication engineers are overburdened, looking at billions of shiny cards all day long. I can understand this. The amount of material they must study has to be enormous. Dry waterboarding.

On the hazmat unit, we have this crazy meter. You slide in a sample and it comes out with a breakdown of all the compounds within that test. We'd mixed up some pretty weird concoctions through the thing and can't stump it... So these punchdrunk graders can concentrate on vintage. I envision a device for Shiny's, where you slide the card into a slot (like a Charlie/Metro cards) it gets ejected seconds later, freshly slabbed and accurate to 99%. With todays microengineering, developing the software library would be the toughest part. Reckon I should mention, our meter costs $70K+ and requires tech upgrades, similar to an antivirus prog.

All sellers are not crooked.
We've all sold cards that were worse than we thought, Im guilty. We've also sold far cards that were undergraded, also guilty

A career as a grader?.. Keep the big salary, I'd rather dig cesspools with a teaspoon. S
Old 06-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Slabbed with a crease

A subject that will always be relevant. When I get back cards from the 1960's and forward and they are 5's or less I will generally bust them and sell with the full disclosure. With a 6 or higher I have generally attributed the lower grade to centering (I send everything marked as no qualifiers). I will begin to pay much more attention to this. PSA slabs many cards with a 5 with a surface crease if the rest of the card is essentially nm-mt. When I sell raw cards I normally go overboard with the details so I keep the customers coming back for more.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Ben H*ds@n

Definitely disclose. As Leon stated, that takes the oh sh** factor out of the transaction. Personally, I prefer slab cards when purchasing over the internet, but I study the card closely and then look at the grade on the slab to form my opinion on the matter.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:41 AM

Disclose. I don't think a PSA 5 or SGC 60 should EVER have a crease.

Last edited by tbob; 06-28-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
[We've all sold cards that were worse than we thought, Im guilty. We've also sold far cards that were undergraded, also guilty
Same here. The ironic thing though, NONE of the cards I have sold that looked a grade or two better than the number on the slab have been returned. I did have one guy tie up my money for 6 months though, after I sent a Jordan rookie card back to PSA for their "Grade Guarantee". He didn't like a minute spot on the back. PSA determined that the grade was indeed correct, and I had to pay return shipping back to me (more money down the drain). All for a card I made $10 profit on. After everything was said and done, I sold the card for MORE money on Ebay, and the buyer was pleased as punch!! Go figure....

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 06-28-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Simple Poll: PSA 5 w/ Crease -- Disclose?

Count me among the sellers who at least try to disclose any signifacant discrepancies with a TPG grade. The product we sell is the card, not some third party's opinion of it. There are a good number of auction houses and dealers who like to hide behind TPG mistakes, and shockingly enough, seem to get a pass on it. No one expects a seller to scrutinize every card of a 100 card lot of PSA3 T206 commons, but a dozen PSA5s? I think that would be productive use of one's time.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Mike Ryan

Default PSA 5 with a crease?

No where in PSA's grading standards does it mention a crease on grades 5 or higher. On PSA 4 the standards state; "a light crease may be visible" It should be, IMO, a "slam dunk" for graders once they see a crease that the card can not grade higher than a PSA 4.5 vg-ex+. No matter how nice the rest of the card is.

Mike
Old 06-28-2011, 12:30 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
Disclose. I don't think a PSA 5 or SGC 60 should EVER have a crease.
The previous poster is correct that PSAs own standards don't allow for any type of crease in a "5," but (to my surprise), SGC does allow for a crease in a 60 (5 equivalent):
80/20 or better centering, minor rounding or fuzzing of corners, roughness or chipping along edge (no layering), one VERY slight surface or "spider" crease may exist on one side of the card, gloss may be lost from surface with some scratching that does not detract from the aesthetics of the card.

In fact, SGC would even allow a 70 as it doesn't eliminate the crease condition:
A 60 EX 5 card with higher grade centering or corners.

As a buyer, I would definitely be upset if I received a 60/5 with a crease. As a seller, I accept returns on ANY item for ANY reason:
Old 06-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Barry Sloate

Is it possible that this was a crease that was once spooned out, and over time came back? It seems a little too severe, but it's a thought.

But when a card is this overgraded, full disclosure is a must.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I don't think so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Is it possible that this was a crease that was once spooned out, and over time came back? It seems a little too severe, but it's a thought.

But when a card is this overgraded, full disclosure is a must.
I don't think the crease came back. In my experience (and I have never done it but have seen some instances) when someone has spooned a card, to try to eliminate a crease, it made a shiny place where it was done. I have one or two cards where it was done and it is distinctive. That isn't to say it always happens, as I don't know, but that is my experience.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Barry Sloate

Hi Leon- spooning will cause a shiny spot, but I have heard stories (maybe they aren't true) of creases coming back some time after they were spooned out.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Hi Leon- spooning will cause a shiny spot, but I have heard stories (maybe they aren't true) of creases coming back some time after they were spooned out.
Exactly and that shiny spot would still be there, regardless. That was my point as I didn't see any instance of that from the large scan. I think it just got missed....Graders are human, and while it shouldn't happen, it does and will continue.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Paul

Spooning is to crease removal as scissors are to trimming.

Really good crease removal is done without a spoon and does not leave a shiny spot; same as really good trimming is not done with common household scissors.

Whether a crease can return is anyone's guess, but I don't think so. The more logical explanation is that PSA missed the wrinkle.

@SignedT206
Old 06-28-2011, 02:01 PM

Default disclose....

Hey everyone

absolutely disclose....the cooler we are as collectors to each other, to treat each other with respect, and be honest about our cards(we can't take 'em with us), the better the hobby will become..

I want my son one day(waiting still to have one thats why i am able to buy a few cards LOL) to enjoy my passion like i have since i was a child......this hobby needs to be weeded out of fraud.....i believe reputation is everything!!we all make mistakes, and if some collectors would actually admit when they did something wrong, or just shady behavoir, i'm sure other collectors would accecpt them back...noone is perfect.....some of these collectors who have tarnished their rep should come forward and say, "hey guys, i was a dxck, i screwed up and ect ect, please give me another chance."....admit when they did something stupid, and move on...sure we can forgive and maybe not forget, but everyone imo deserves a second chance...(must be the Libra in me)

IMO- i would not even really touch a card at all, the way it came, is the way it would come/go....

if a card is labeled wrong, or missed graded, or a wrinkle is spotted and not disclosed, and the seller is aware of it, it's just shady to me....

thanks for listening to me spew, this is something i feel pretty strong about..

BTW- i would like to thank all of you fellow collectors who i consider friends for making my hobby as enjoyable as it is to me, for helping with my collecting...and for meeting some great friends and awesome people

Peace

Johnny V
Old 06-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Robert Williams

This is one that I recently won from Heritage auctions. I can't believe I missed it. If you were me, would you be happy with this card????

Old 06-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Barry Sloate

Looks like they took a little too much off the top. Also looks like the Duke is sporting a little facial hair. What's the deal with that one?

Last edited by barrysloate; 06-28-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Robert Williams

LOL...It's not trimmed, and there is no facial hair. I am talking about the Lake Michigan type stain/discoloring that is taking up the left half of the card!!!!! Look at the top border and notice where the stain starts and then follow it all the way down to the bottom border.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 06-28-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Barry Sloate

The top border doesn't look good at all to me, and I see a shadow of facial hair on my scan. I didn't even see what you cited.

Now I see the stain. I don't like that card.

Last edited by barrysloate; 06-28-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Clayton

Default Disclose

Great post Johnny !!

I agree with everyone who agrees with disclosing, it's simply just the right thing to do. I always feel comfortable buying from someone who I know will let me know if there's something you can't really see on a scan.

Mike's Meyers portrait is a perfect example of why a seller should disclose regardless of the grade issued.

Clayton
Old 06-28-2011, 03:15 PM

Default disclose...

Clayton,

Thanks bro....your one of the collectors who make this hobby enjoyable for me......

Robert-

OMG!!!....no offense, that is a return and one UGLY 7!!, i was very happy with my last heritage purchase, but someone needs a set of bi-focals at both fine establishments...maybe they spilled some beer on that one when grading

Good luck!

Peace

Johnny
Old 06-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Paul

The number of f*ckups I see in PSA holders really makes me sick.

I have a pet theory that people often sell the PSA cards because they're way overgraded, and they don't cross over into SGC holders. So the market for PSA cards ends up being greater ironically.

@SignedT206
Old 06-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Stain

Bobby the stained cards are also overlooked by PSA. I had a PSA 5 t206 with a ugly stain as well. Sold it with the stain disclosed by the way !
Old 06-28-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
The number of f*ckups I see in PSA holders really makes me sick.
I couldn't agree more.

After purchasing a PSA graded T205 Drum that SGC deemed re-colored (on all four of the corners), I've given up on their grading standards.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:17 PM
J.O.N

I think that eye appeal trumps card grade always. Therefore disclose.

Anyone ever seen a card with the wrong label from a grade company? They are humans and make errors. So we should always have integrity. How many times we say "it's a 2 but should have been higher"? The same applies in the other direction.

IMHO

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
This is one that I recently won from Heritage auctions. I can't believe I missed it. If you were me, would you be happy with this card????

That is a classic! Wouldn't be happy at all with the grading company or a seller/auction house that did not disclose the obvious stain. Maybe you should have caught it but that does not relieve either of the other parties of their obligation to catch it or to point it out IMO. I can see how it would be easier for the seller to have missed it than the grading company.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 06-28-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:38 PM
J.O.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
That is a classic! Wouldn't be happy at all with the grading company or a seller/auction house that did not disclose the obvious stain. Maybe you should have caught it but that does not relieve either of the other parties of their obligation to catch it or to point it out IMO. I can see how it would be easier for the seller to have missed it than the grading company.
Wow! Sorry for the raw deal on that card. Are the cases water proof? I was wondering if that stain happened after grading.

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.