NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Banned

Default hank aaron trimmed?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_2545wt_1185
Old 01-14-2012, 04:29 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

There's a reason it's in a Pro holder. Usually trim jobs...
Old 01-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Banned

but by looking at it do you see any obvious spots were its been trimmed or altered?
Old 01-14-2012, 04:54 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Judging by the back scan, the top appears to be trimmed.. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by novakjr; 01-14-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Chris Counts

I suspect the '54 Topps Aaron is one of the most trimmed of all cards and I'll bet this one is as well. Why would the upper right corner be so sharp when the bottom two corners show what looks like normal wear? I think because '54 Topps cards have three white borders and one border that bleeds color to the edge of the card, they're easier than most cards to trim. The top border is trimmed and it at first glance, the card looks normal ...

Last edited by Chris Counts; 01-14-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:32 PM
David Ros.enberg

Last edited by DJR; 07-31-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Alan U

It's pre-Vietnam War though

I guess the term "war" refers to, in the words of Archie Bunker... "WWII, the big one"
Old 01-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Jeff

PRO 6 = dull knife

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-15-2012, 09:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR View Post
Joey, why did you post in the pre-War section? I have a feeling Joey is going to wear down the patience of another board w/ questionable posts. I digress...1954 is 9 years post-War II!

I didnt realize i did, my fault and no im not going to wear down anyones patience
Old 01-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Bill Hedin

Default pro

This guy set up and graded at one of my shows in Woburn, Mass!
The line was around the building.
He graded quite a few cards and then did a Virginia show and that's the last I saw of Pro Grading Services....................................
Old 01-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Steve Birmingham

Was he the guy that would also do in-store grading days? The then local shop in Billerica had them in at least once.

Steve B
Quote:
Originally Posted by bh3443 View Post
This guy set up and graded at one of my shows in Woburn, Mass!
The line was around the building.
He graded quite a few cards and then did a Virginia show and that's the last I saw of Pro Grading Services....................................
Old 01-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Bill Hedin

Default yes, Steve!

Hi Steve,
Good memory! Yes, that was the guy. I believe his name was Joe and I remember getting him a pack of cigarettes (Newports!) when I went to the store next to the hotel that morning.
I did sit down with him and listened to his ideas on the business of grading.
He showed me a paper he had 1-10 written down and a brief description on what to look for when assigning a grade. Not a word was printed about trimmed or altered cards.
I do remember 3 distinct things from that day:
A customer had 4 Griffey UD rookies to be graded that were slabbed Gem Mint 10's. The cards had centering issues and scratches on the hologram.

A customer had some cards graded and returned a few hours later because the holder was not sealed right on a few cards and he had them re-done.

A dealer asked the Pro owner about a price on 100+ cards graded. After they agreed on a price, the dealer told the Pro guy he only wanted to see 2 numbers on his cards: a 1 and a zero! I'm not sure if the deal went through or not.

Apparently, many people bought the machine and set up shop without much experience and this is going to continue to cause issues.
:O)
Old 01-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Banned

the seller emailed me and said he compared it to his other 54's and said theyre all the same size and that it hasnt been trimmed. he also thinks because it was graded a 6 by pro that psa would grade it a 6 too. the lowest hed go is 900...some people will never learn
Old 01-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh3443 View Post
Hi Steve,
Good memory! Yes, that was the guy. I believe his name was Joe and I remember getting him a pack of cigarettes (Newports!) when I went to the store next to the hotel that morning.
I did sit down with him and listened to his ideas on the business of grading.
He showed me a paper he had 1-10 written down and a brief description on what to look for when assigning a grade. Not a word was printed about trimmed or altered cards.
I do remember 3 distinct things from that day:
A customer had 4 Griffey UD rookies to be graded that were slabbed Gem Mint 10's. The cards had centering issues and scratches on the hologram.

A customer had some cards graded and returned a few hours later because the holder was not sealed right on a few cards and he had them re-done.

A dealer asked the Pro owner about a price on 100+ cards graded. After they agreed on a price, the dealer told the Pro guy he only wanted to see 2 numbers on his cards: a 1 and a zero! I'm not sure if the deal went through or not.

Apparently, many people bought the machine and set up shop without much experience and this is going to continue to cause issues.
:O)
I remember the ads offering to set up grading companies for something like 15K. I think you got the slab sealer and a starter supply of slabs and maybe a cheap computer to print the tags. I actually asked around to see If I could borrow the money but nobody wanted to do it. Worked out for the best. I don't have the sales skills to make it work, and at the time I didn't have the tact to handle stuff like the guy demanding all 10s. That bit especially wouldn't have gone well.

With really good guidelines I don't think that someone not being into cards would be bad. In some cases it might be better. I'm sure you've seen plenty of inventory with vg commons, vg-ex minor stars and ex-mt stars that all look alike. Starry eyes and wishful thinking. I've had a friend who knows nearly no baseball "Ted Williams played for the redsox right?" He'd heard of Yaz too. Anyway I had him help go through a box of cards his job was to remove only the really nice condition ones. He found 5 out of a couple thousand he thought were really nice.

Steve B

Steve B
Old 01-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyF View Post
I didnt realize i did, my fault and no im not going to wear down anyones patience
Actually you ARE wearing down the patience of a person that has the ability to make it where you don't wear any other Net54baseball board members patience down anymore. Hence the formal infraction given today for your other thread in the wrong place. And is it YOU that said some people never learn? Just trying to understand what is going on here. I am sort of slow, ya' know?