NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-15-2020, 11:55 AM
DR
David R@tliff

Default Mail day! Mail day! 1965 topps set complete!

I alluded to this one the other day, and here it is.

Got this guy in the mail yesterday, really happy to get this knocked off my list.

This is a really tough card to find centered, and prices can fluctuate all over the place. Looking at VCP, it's been anywhere from $2,750 to $5,100 since August, with prices mostly depending upon the centering. This one is a touch to the right obviously, but I didn't feel like it was so off that it was really distracting to the eye. Ultimately, this was the final card to complete a fully graded set of all 8s of 1965 Topps - a total of 598 cards!

Takes up every BIT of four shoeboxes!

A few more pics of some of the stars...

Also, thought I'd include this one as it's an interesting piece of this set. Yes, this is THAT Dave DeBuschere, the New York Knicks player who is part of the NBA 50 best players. There's not a lot of people who have cards in multiple sports, and this is one that frequently gets overlooked.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:57 AM
Al Richter

Very ice, congrats
Old 10-15-2020, 12:10 PM
DR
David R@tliff

A little more background on this set. I acquired the majority of it in a trade a couple or more years back. I don't remember if the partial set was posted, or if someone posted looking for a 1956 set and I responded, but I'm pretty confident I actually did this deal here on the board. If you were my partner in this trade and see it, please remind me. I checked my PMs to no avail.

At that time, the previous owner had the majority of 1965 set built in 8, 8.5 and 9s. It was missing I think 5 cards at the time, including the Mantle. I did a fair bit of price research on the missing cards, as well as the "trade down" value of all of the 8.5s and 9s that were included at that time - roughly about 25 cards if I recall. I figured out that if I was willing to downgrade those to 8s, I could pick up enough "profits" on that trade down to actually pay for the Mantle to complete the set.

The trade was my 1956 Topps Baseball set in all PSA 7s for the 1965 partial set and some cash. I was in the process of building a 1956 set of all PSA 8s at that time (which I finished not long ago and posted about here
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=287455 ),
and felt like for my long term collecting it was better to diversify. Part of that decision was also related to the length of time and effort it takes to build multi-hundred card all graded sets. I'm a patient collector, but the thought of trying to put together 598 cards from scratch did not appeal to me considering the other set building projects I had going on at that time, but trading out of 25 cards and picking my Mantle definitely was appealing. Even now, that trade was I think a literal win win for both of us, I know back then we were both pretty happy with the deal.

Looking at the VCPs today, the PSA 7 set of 1956s I gave up is probably worth about 5-10% more than the VCP of this PSA 8 set of 1965s. However, now I've got PSA 8 sets of both, and these are definitely my favorite sets of each decade. I love the pennant design on these, and with some strong rookies and all the Hall of Famers, I think this will continue to be a very popular set with collectors going forward.

It's been a nice couple of months of collecting for me, as I've completed 1956, 1954 and now 1965. All these projects have been in progress for years, and it's really satisfying to complete them. Continues to remind of me of why I collect and how much I enjoy the chase, but even more the art of these cards.

Anyway, wanted to share, hope you enjoy and for all the set collectors out there - HANG IN THERE!

Last edited by bounce; 10-15-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:35 PM
J@mes In.gram

Congratulations, it's a good looking Topps issue and yours is a beautiful set. I myself do not prefer graded cards, but for investment or business purposes I clearly understand the reasons for wanting them so.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:25 PM
St@n Go.len

Holy moly great job. I'm 10 cards away from a G/VG set myself. Such a nice set with great color.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2020, 03:13 PM
Tom S

Beautiful set. I started collecting the set back in 1978. Nowhere near complete.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:42 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Congratulations, that is a very nice set. I finished the '65 set raw (VG/EX) last summer and was just amazed with the color, crispness of photos and the photo selection. Topps did a great job in '65.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 10-16-2020, 06:57 PM

Congrats on a great high grade set! Awesome.I love this set,too. The color and the pennants make it for me. I have a raw set that is mostly NM and really like it.