NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-11-2020, 06:16 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballcrazy62 View Post
Mark: the 71 All-Star game was the first game I ever attended. These are from the 2001 Upper Deck issue. I try and collect everything I can related to that game. Frank Robinson has a card in this subset and hit a home run that night as well .There were many Orioles in that game as you know and Earl Weaver was the American League manager that night. I believe it still has the record for most HOFers to play in an All-Star game. The tickets pictured were the 3 tickets we used that night. As a 9 year old boy I can’t tell you what an impact that had on me. My Dad and I had been collecting for about 2 years at that time and that night put it in overdrive. Both my parents are gone now but I can tell you that I get a smile and maybe a tear when I look back at what great memories this hobby of ours brought to our family.
Mike,

Thanks so much for sharing. Sounds like you had a great upbringing and parents. I understand; both of my parents have passed away. Also, my wife’s parents have passed as well.

Those are some awesome items!
Old 01-11-2020, 06:49 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriolesHOF View Post
Awesome thread Mark and so many interesting items. Brooks remains one of the great ambassadors for the game and still works for the Orioles as a special advisor. As an athlete, a role model, a fan favorite and an extraordinary human being, Brooks gets it. Growing up in New York during the '60's, one stop away from Willets Point/Shea Stadium on the #7 train, I took great pleasure in the Mets victory over the O's in the '69 World Series even though Brooks was one of my childhood heroes. I too played third and wore the No. 5 except my jersey read E5.

In the cabinet;

Orioles bobbleheads: '60's color base, green base and black player

Ticket Stubs: April 15, 1954 Orioles 1st game at Memorial Stadium, 1958 All Star Game, 1966 Game 4 WS, 1970 Game 5 WS (full ticket) and July 15, 1960 Brooks becomes the first Orioles player to hit for the cycle.

1957 Rookie Card Signed

#5 brass row marker from the demolition of Memorial Stadium

1954 Scorecard from first game at Memorial Stadium

1954 Yearbook

1970's Brooks Decanter

On the A-frame bat rack are game used bats from players in Cooperstown and in the Orioles HOF during their playing days with the O's;

Brooks Robinson
Frank Robinson
Luis Aparicio
Cal Ripken Jr.
Eddie Murray
Roberto Alomar
Harold Baines

The bats on the wall are all gamers from Orioles who are in the Orioles HOF. I'm missing two position players (Hendricks, Buford) and several pitchers. As you all are well aware, game used pitcher's bats are not easy to find.

The photo is from a signing in Ellicott City, Maryland where Brooks usually appears twice a year. When I showed Brooks the bat, without looking at the knob, he was able to recite the model #.
Hal,

I was hoping you would check in with your nice Orioles collection and my favorite colored walls. Thanks for the picture of your bats and the Orioles items in your cabinet.

I lived in Elliott City when I was in MD. That’s where I became a life long Orioles fan.

(We need to talk about the Mets thing...)

Any way you could post a closeup of the Brooksie bat?

Last edited by Mark70Z; 01-11-2020 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Day 11 (January 11, 2020 – 011)

Today a vintage color photo (5”x7”) of Brooks and Luis “Little Louie” Aparicio. As you can see it’s lightened up over time, possibly being exposed to light or maybe just the way the color dissipates on these older photos, but I think it’s cool. Both Brooks and Luis have signed the booklet in blue pen. Luis was another great, multiple gold glove winning, shortstop for the Orioles (wasn’t too bad for the Sox as well).

Attachment 380597

The photo below is a picture of the Orioles infield when Luis was playing for the Orioles. Pictured left to right is Brooks Robinson, Luis Aparicio, Jerry Adair and Leroy “Norm” Siebern.

Attachment 380598
Mark,

Love the photo with the autographs!
Old 01-11-2020, 09:59 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpatlv View Post
Mark,

Love the photo with the autographs!
Thanks Mike... Hopefully I'll keep it interesting the entire year. I'm seeing it'll take a good bit of work to get this thing accomplished.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:03 PM
M@rk Comer

Day 12 (January 12, 2020 – 012)

Brooks’ Annual Working Pass for all the American League parks for the year 1995. I’m sure Brooks didn’t use it much, but a pretty unique item.

Day 12 a.jpg

Since we’re already discussing 1995, I’ll include a couple of Complimentary Admission tickets/cards to the Hall of Fame and Museum for Brooks and his wife. By the way 1995 was the induction year by the Veterans Committee of Richie Ashburn, Leon Day, William Hulbert and Vic Willis. If I’m not mistaken there was one other induction by the Baseball Writers, but his name currently slips my mind 😉

Day 12 b.jpg
Old 01-12-2020, 04:56 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Paul Blair

Posted for Clint (ksfarmboy). The is a 1974 Paul "Motormouth" Blair Orioles home jersey.

I loved how Blair would play so shallow and make it routine to run back to the wall to make a catch. He deserved the eight Gold Gloves for playing center field.

Jersey Paul Blair front.jpg
Jersey Paul Blair back.jpg

Thought I'd include a 1965 photo of Blair.

Photo 1965 Blair.jpg
Old 01-12-2020, 05:56 AM
Hal T.

1956 Luman Harris Game Used Road Jersey
1970 Bobby Grich Team Issue Home Vest (Following post will supply info about the vests)
1968 Andy Etchebarren Game Used Home
1971 Dick Hall Game Used Road
1967 Dave May Game Used Home
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3506.jpg (71.9 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3544.jpg (70.7 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3545.jpg (73.0 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3546.jpg (69.0 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3547.jpg (71.8 KB, 231 views)
Old 01-12-2020, 07:43 AM
Hal T.

Written by Phil Wood, I hope this sheds some light on the O's vest jerseys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3588.jpg (76.7 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4324.jpg (75.5 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3576.jpg (71.6 KB, 225 views)

Last edited by OriolesHOF; 01-12-2020 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:58 AM
Clint

Classic jerseys Hal, thanks for sharing. I don’t have any Orioles flannels but plan on adding a home and road one day.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:08 AM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Here is another one of my items highlighted in Bob Lemke's blog a few years back.

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2015/02...stery-lid.html

I still don't know it's exact origin, but now believe it's probably from the 1980's and has something to do with the Queensgate Mall in York, PA. It is made of thick plastic, not the same material of the English Chicken lids from 1976 & 1983.

Anyone with any info would be much appreciated. I've never seen another.

Queensgate.jpg
Old 01-12-2020, 11:11 AM
Alan Strout

Default Orioles jerseys

Quote:
1970 Bobby Grich Team Issue Home Vest (Following post will supply info about the vests)

Love the jerseys, especially the history behind the vests from 1969.

I have a few jerseys back in Maine, that I'll try and post pics when I get home.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:49 AM
Hal T.

Quote:
Hal,

(We need to talk about the Mets thing...)

Any way you could post a closeup of the Brooksie bat?
We also need to talk about the Nats thing!

As requested Mark, here are some pics of B. Robby's war club. This was my first GU bat and even though Brooks beat the heck out of it it's still my favorite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3144.jpg (79.8 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3599.jpg (73.7 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3600.jpg (69.8 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3601.jpg (69.4 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3602.jpg (73.3 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3604.jpg (65.2 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3606.jpg (71.8 KB, 216 views)
Old 01-12-2020, 11:52 AM
M@rk Comer

Originally Posted by OriolesHOF

Hal,

Classic jerseys. Now the closeups on the bats...

Thanks for more information on the vests. Very interesting read.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:03 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Here is another one of my items highlighted in Bob Lemke's blog a few years back.

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2015/02...stery-lid.html

I still don't know it's exact origin, but now believe it's probably from the 1980's and has something to do with the Queensgate Mall in York, PA. It is made of thick plastic, not the same material of the English Chicken lids from 1976 & 1983.

Anyone with any info would be much appreciated. I've never seen another.

Attachment 381017
Alan,

I’d guess the same as you that it relates to Queensgate Mall. What do you think it was used or going to be used for? Lid to popcorn or biggy drink or possibly something else.

It’s nice to have items we know little to nothing about. The search should be both interesting and fun.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:07 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
We also need to talk about the Nats thing!

As requested Mark, here are some pics of B. Robby's war club. This was my first GU bat and even though Brooks beat the heck out of it it's still my favorite.
Hal,

The Nats are a different animal. I can root for the Nationals in the NL and doesn’t feel wrong. The Mets = Wrong

Thanks so much for posting the Brooks bat; love it.

Last edited by Mark70Z; 01-12-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:18 PM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:
Alan,

I’d guess the same as you that it relates to Queensgate Mall. What do you think it was used or going to be used for? Lid to popcorn or biggy drink or possibly something else.

It’s nice to have items we know little to nothing about. The search should be both interesting and fun.
Mark,

I don't think it is a popcorn or drink lid. It's thick hard plastic, about 1/8" thick and 8" in diameter. Most popcorn lids have a waxy feel and there's no slot for a straw if it's a drink lid. I think it was part of some kind of display, but can't guess how it was used. I would really like to know for sure.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:33 PM
Curt

I just dug up a stack of these 1965 player pages that were pulled from a book, to post on ebay. Robinson was included. Nothing rare or all that special, but they are kind of cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Baseball 64 Robinson.jpg (73.3 KB, 219 views)
Old 01-12-2020, 02:15 PM
Curt

Here is something maybe a little more odd. I got this in a lot of advertisements taken from what was described as Toy industry magazines. This one is called "Playthings". A quick ebay search only found 1 issue. Probably not something you could just buy off the news stand. Perhaps you had to be an industry insider to have access to the magazine?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PLAYTHINGS-...gAAOSwMUpckZez

Avalon Hill did the Superstar Baseball game, which I used to play.

Makes me wonder if any of those 100 signed photos are out there and can they be linked back to the contest in any way?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robinson Toy Ad.jpg (77.6 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by mrmopar; 01-12-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:20 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
I just dug up a stack of these 1965 player pages that were pulled from a book, to post on ebay. Robinson was included. Nothing rare or all that special, but they are kind of cool.
Curt,

I think I have that particular B&W 8x10 picture packed away somewhere. Is this one that’s cut from a magazine large or is it a small cutout?

Hope your Garvey collection is going well.

Oh, and don’t you have a Brooks Robinson signed run that you can post?
Old 01-12-2020, 02:30 PM
Bob Andrews

Three pages from a 1951 exhibition game played in Baltimore by the International League Orioles against the Brooklyn Dodgers as they traveled north to start their season.

Snider, Robinson, Campy, and Hodges all in the starting lineup.

Old 01-12-2020, 02:33 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Here is something maybe a little more odd. I got this in a lot of advertisements taken from what was described as Toy industry magazines. This one is called "Playthings". A quick ebay search only found 1 issue. Probably not something you could just buy off the news stand. Perhaps you had to be an industry insider to have access to the magazine?

Avalon Hill did the Superstar Baseball game, which I used to play.

Makes me wonder if any of those 100 signed photos are out there and can they be linked back to the contest in any way?
I do have something Brooks related to Avalon Hill. I’ll post when I can find it, but I really can’t seem to remember what it is exactly. I know it’s not this ad.

I wonder what picture it is of Brooks that they were providing.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:54 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
Three pages from a 1951 exhibition game played in Baltimore by the International League Orioles against the Brooklyn Dodgers as they traveled north to start their season.

Snider, Robinson, Campy, and Hodges all in the starting lineup.
Any and all of the Baltimore baseball teams of the past have always been intriguing to me like the Black Sox, Elite Giants, Terrapins and Intl Orioles. I considered collecting those teams as well, but really can’t expand any more nor can I afford it. Of course all other Baltimore sports teams of both the past and present have been considered as well.

That’s a nice exhibition program with some big names.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:06 PM
Curt

The Avalon Hill ad is slightly larger than 8x10 size.
I do have an incomplete Robby auto run, but not sure I kept the photo after I took it last time. The cards are tucked back away with the rest now though.
I'll see if I still have it saved to the computer.

Quote:
Curt,

I think I have that particular B&W 8x10 picture packed away somewhere. Is this one that’s cut from a magazine large or is it a small cutout?

Hope your Garvey collection is going well.

Oh, and don’t you have a Brooks Robinson signed run that you can post?
Old 01-12-2020, 04:40 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark,

I don't think it is a popcorn or drink lid. It's thick hard plastic, about 1/8" thick and 8" in diameter. Most popcorn lids have a waxy feel and there's no slot for a straw if it's a drink lid. I think it was part of some kind of display, but can't guess how it was used. I would really like to know for sure.
Alan,

I’d really like to see the Queensland piece in hand. Is it the same thickness all around or is there a lip? Maybe something to advertise the Brooks Robinson Sporting Goods store. I know they used a somewhat similar setup on the patch they produced.

Last edited by Mark70Z; 01-12-2020 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:24 PM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:
Alan,

I’d really like to see the Queensland piece in hand. Is it the same thickness all around or is there a lip? Maybe something to advertise the Brooks Robinson Sporting Goods store. I know they used a somewhat similar setup on the patch they produced.
No lip, same thickness all around. It's thick enough, that you couldn't bend it without it actually breaking and/or snapping in half. I'll have to bring it to Florida with me next time.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:11 PM
John
John Pur.cell

Default Awesome thread!

Glad to see so many Brooks fans out there. Grew up in Baltimore and Brooks was my hero as a kid. I mostly have cards, will get some pics together at some point.

Thanks for starting this one.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:11 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 13 (January 13, 2020 – 013

I started a side project, which I think was at the end of 2017, of a Brooks Robinson autograph run of his regular issue or base cards during his playing days (’57 thru ’78). I’ve never really been an autograph seeker or collector (I do have quite a few of Brooks autos), but was inspired by a couple other collectors, particularly Mike (Baseballcrazy62) and Stephen (Marchillo) when they posted their autograph runs. I wanted to do a Brooks Robinson run a bit different which was to get the cards signed in pen. I knew that would be more difficult, but I like the look of a nice pen autograph on a card. I figured once I have that completed I may go for a sharpie run; who knows. Well, I’m not quite done with the pen autographed run yet so I’ll post one of the latest signed cards I picked up.

1978 Topps #4 signed Record-Breaker.

Day 13 a.jpg

You would think that the ’78 Topps card would be one of the easiest signed cards to pick up, but it has been very difficult to find a nice example. It may be that people were going with sharpie instead of pen, but most of the pen examples the signatures are light on the card. The example I have isn’t the greatest autograph, but it’s the darkest on the card that I’ve seen to date.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:22 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Ellie Hendricks

Posted for Clint (ksfarmboy). This jersey is a game used 1974 Elrod Hendricks home jersey.

Jersey Elrod Hendricks front.jpg
Jersey Elrod Hendricks back.jpg
Old 01-13-2020, 01:23 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
No lip, same thickness all around. It's thick enough, that you couldn't bend it without it actually breaking and/or snapping in half. I'll have to bring it to Florida with me next time.
Thanks for the information. Hopefully someone else will know how this was used.

Yes; please bring the Queensgate the next time around...
Old 01-13-2020, 01:25 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp3rd View Post
Glad to see so many Brooks fans out there. Grew up in Baltimore and Brooks was my hero as a kid. I mostly have cards, will get some pics together at some point.

Thanks for starting this one.
I know I enjoy viewing cards...
Old 01-13-2020, 04:58 AM
Mike Magee

Good morning, I was born in 1981 and Cal Ripken was my hero as I was growing up. When I finally had the opportunity to meet him at a Chantilly show, my grandmother wanted to come along as well. There's a photo of myself, Cal, and my grandmother with my grandmother in the middle. Cal called her a "rose between two thorns". She blushed, did a little hand wave, and said, "Oh, Cal!". So, thanks Mr. Ripken for making my grandmother so happy that day.

These are some of my Ripken proof items:

1982 Fleer Test Card
http://net54baseball.com/attachment....1&d=1578916439

1990 Donruss Aqueous Test

1990 Donruss Blue/White

1992 Topps Round Trippers

1992 Donruss Jumbo Diamond King
Old 01-13-2020, 05:42 AM

Default The Sounds of Brooks

A couple tape recordings of Brooks. I saw a few of the vinyl LP records in the background of the display cases a couple days ago.

Here we have "The Night The Lights Went Out" Brooks talks about all the good memories from Memorial Stadium.

Brooks Robinson-The Infielder,16 golden Gloves -Brooks speaks about fielding.I have never seen another copy of this.

The one in the brown box is pretty cool. It is a reel to reel recording of Frank and Brooks from a Sports Illustrated reporter Keith Morris.

Not sure where it came from but Iam sure I am not suppose to have it. Morris also interview two Track and Field stars.
On a side not Jim Ryun was the first High School Track Athlete to break a 4 minute mile!
The interview to place June 30 1966.

I have never listened to the Reel to Reel and i have a reel to Reel player set up in my basement.
One day I will give it a spin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brooks Recordings..jpg (73.1 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg Brooks Recording2..jpg (69.5 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg Brooks Recording3..jpg (30.9 KB, 206 views)
Old 01-13-2020, 07:19 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1992 Round Trippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfan008 View Post

Mike,

You have some very nice cards. The two 1990 Donruss test cards are on my wish list.

Have you seen the front of the 1992 Ripken Round Tripper and do you know how many Orioles were printed?

I have the Ben McDonald, but haven't seen any others. I think they are neat.

1992 Topps Round Trippers.jpg
Old 01-13-2020, 07:37 AM
Mike Magee

Thank you for the compliment Alan.

I have not seen the front of the Ripken. Mine is one of the back-only proofs.

I also have the Gregg Olson disc (front and back on that proof).

Olson, McDonald, and Cal are the only three Orioles I have seen before.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:52 AM
Brad W.

Quote:
Brad,

Glad you enjoyed so far. Thanks for posting the sketch cards of Brooks; all look really nice in my view. I "think" the last one I like the best; probably because you can see more of the uni. and I like when he had the B. Robinson on the back of his jersey.

Hey, would love to see your favorite Grace card or odd-ball or publication or poster or proof, etc. You get the drift; would like to see a cool Grace item.
Well can I assume you're a Grace collector...
I run the website www.MarkGrace.com. My whole collection is scanned there. You can see a lot of oddball stuff there. I also have a Don Zimmer collection, if you want to see oddball stuff of a Brooks contemporary. You can see that collection at http://www.baseballcardstars.com/zim...lectibles.html
Old 01-13-2020, 02:47 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Ripken

Quote:
Good morning, I was born in 1981 and Cal Ripken was my hero as I was growing up. When I finally had the opportunity to meet him at a Chantilly show, my grandmother wanted to come along as well. There's a photo of myself, Cal, and my grandmother with my grandmother in the middle. Cal called her a "rose between two thorns". She blushed, did a little hand wave, and said, "Oh, Cal!". So, thanks Mr. Ripken for making my grandmother so happy that day.

1982 Fleer Test Card
1990 Donruss Aqueous Test
1990 Donruss Blue/White
1992 Donruss Jumbo Diamond King
Mike,

Those are quite the cards you have there. Some of those I have never seen before. Thanks for sharing the Ripken items...
Old 01-13-2020, 02:53 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
Here we have "The Night The Lights Went Out" Brooks talks about all the good memories from Memorial Stadium.

Brooks Robinson-The Infielder,16 golden Gloves -Brooks speaks about fielding.I have never seen another copy of this.

The one in the brown box is pretty cool. It is a reel to reel recording of Frank and Brooks from a Sports Illustrated reporter Keith Morris.

Not sure where it came from but I am sure I am not suppose to have it. Morris also interview two Track and Field stars.

The interview to place June 30 1966.

I have never listened to the Reel to Reel and i have a reel to Reel player set up in my basement. One day I will give it a spin.
Those are very cool. I have the two common one's, but I've never even seen the other two others you've pictured (the Cue Recordings and Brooks Robinson Talking Infielding). I have a fairly narrow focus, just collecting Brooks, and seeing something I've never seen before is a rarity. Thanks so much for the post.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:55 PM
Hal T.

Quote:
Any and all of the Baltimore baseball teams of the past have always been intriguing to me like the Black Sox, Elite Giants, Terrapins and Intl Orioles.
Mark - I'm not very proactive regarding the pre-war Baltimore cards but I will attempt to pick them up when I see them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3609.jpg (76.1 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3611.jpg (78.7 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3615.jpg (77.9 KB, 191 views)
Old 01-13-2020, 02:58 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracecollector View Post
My whole collection is scanned there. You can see a lot of oddball stuff there. I also have a Don Zimmer collection, if you want to see oddball stuff of a Brooks contemporary.
Brad,

Man, I wish i was half as organized as you (I'd even take a fourth). I guess if I had a website with everything listed I wouldn't need to post something everyday since people can just go to the website and peruse. I viewed a little of both areas today and the sites are well done. I'll be checking out your odd-ball items in particular.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:05 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark - I'm not very proactive regarding the pre-war Baltimore cards but I will attempt to pick them up when I see them.
Hal,

Thanks so much for picturing the pre-war items. It's something I always consider, but never do bite the bullet. If I did get into it I have no idea what items I'd collect, but the Old Judge are just neat items and I see you can't go wrong with Cracker Jack.

Can you elaborate on what all you collect? Looks like the focus is mainly bats; is that correct? If so, do you collect other bats from other teams?

Last edited by Mark70Z; 01-13-2020 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:26 PM
Alan Strout

Default Orioles Photos

I'm really enjoying all the items people are posting so far. It's always fun to see stuff you don't have in your personal collection and hear the stories behind them.

One of my passions is the history of the Orioles franchise from 1954 to present. I know some of you also collect stuff from the minor league Orioles before 1954 which is also very interesting. I guess the main reason, I've avoided collecting minor league Orioles items, is that the roots of the current Orioles team come through the St. Louis Browns franchise. I believe at least a couple of the old Orioles teams can be traced forward to the current Yankees and Detroit Tigers franchises. Maybe someday, I'll get the itch to expand my collection to the Browns.

That passion for history has led me to collect photos of every player to ever appear in an Orioles game, but they must be pictured in an Orioles uniform. There are a couple players I still need to find.

Wally Westlake 1955 (I know a photo of him exists)
John Buzhardt 1967 (Many photos as an Astro or White Sox, but have never seen an Oriole photo)

I thought some of you might enjoy a challenge. Over the next few days, I'll post pics of some Orioles and let you try and identify them. Hint: All of these players have appeared for at least one major league game with the Orioles.

Hint #2: They all have something in common when they played for the Orioles. Some will be easier than others.

I hope you have fun.

Player #1

Evers, Hoot 1.jpg

Player #2

Gentry, Craig 1.JPG

Player #3

Johnson, Kelly 1.jpg

Player #4

Lenhardt, Don 1.jpg

Player #5

DeLock, Ike 1.jpg

Player #6

Montanez, Lou 1.jpg
Old 01-14-2020, 02:04 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

Day 14 (January 14, 2020 – 014)

I really don’t have very many original photos (Type 1) of Brooks. I have a pretty good amount that are from the original negative but are not period and have a bunch of wire photos as well. This particular photograph is an original Brooks photo that was sent to me by Bob (commishbob); how awesome is that (thanks again Bob!). It was taken by one of The Baltimore Sun photographers William LaForce Jr. I really like the picture of Brooks on deck and the Stadium in the background.

Day 14 a.jpg

By the way Bob has a great blog entitled “The Five Tool Collector”; check it out if you haven’t already.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:13 AM
M@rk Comer

Posted for Clint (ksfarmboy). This is a 1971 Davey Johnson jersey. The name and front number restored.

Jersey Dave Johnson front.jpg
Jersey Dave Johnson back.jpg

Man, how many jerseys does Clint have? I just hope more...
Old 01-14-2020, 03:38 AM
Hal T.

T206 Baltimore team set with a Jack Dunn signed check.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3624.jpg (75.3 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3619.jpg (66.6 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3620.jpg (65.6 KB, 183 views)

Last edited by OriolesHOF; 01-14-2020 at 03:39 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:36 AM
Mike Magee

Default 1962 Salada Brooks question

Hi, I have a couple of questions for the fellow O's collectors on here:

1.) I am no expert on the 1962 Salada coins but there seems to be at least a few viewing this thread. A few years ago, I purchased the basic complete set. The seller threw in a couple of additional coins. One is a Brooks Robinson with a white rim. All other Brooks coins I've seen are the standard orange rim. Googling has yielded no other info, so I've always assumed the coin was altered. Does anyone know exactly what this is?

2.) In one of my Orioles-related magazines from 1983 or 1984, there is an ad for All Star Toyota stating that if you come in to test drive a car, you'll receive Orioles baseball cards. Has anyone heard of that promotion before? Were they handing out specially made cards or just 1983 Topps/Fleer/Donruss cards? I searched for the magazine last night to take a photo but couldn't find it. I'll definitely looks again but hope someone has information on it.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1962 Salada Brooks Robinson_white rim.jpg (32.9 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg 1962 Salada Brooks Robinson back_white rim.jpg (22.5 KB, 184 views)
Old 01-14-2020, 04:39 AM
Hal T.

Quote:
Hal,

Thanks so much for picturing the pre-war items. It's something I always consider, but never do bite the bullet. If I did get into it I have no idea what items I'd collect, but the Old Judge are just neat items and I see you can't go wrong with Cracker Jack.

Can you elaborate on what all you collect? Looks like the focus is mainly bats; is that correct? If so, do you collect other bats from other teams?
Mark - As with most of us, I collect what I like. This includes more than just the Orioles. With respect to bats, it started with the Orioles HOF plaques on Eutaw Street near Boogs BBQ. Took one look at all the familiar players on the wall and decided to obtain at least one game used bat from their playing days with the O's. I do have other HOF'er bats, decal bats, mushroom bats, ring bats, etc.

I have a run of yearbooks 1954 - 2000 but the Hartzell covers are my favorites. James Hartzell drew the first Orioles cartoon bird.

I also have a run of team signed balls from 1954 - 1990. Pictured are some key Orioles baseballs with the '54 and '55 (bottom row starting on the left) having two players, Howie Fox and Tom Gastall who died during their playing days. In 1955, Fox was stabbed to death in a bar room incident and in 1956 Gastall crashed a small plane into the Chesapeake.

The metal Orioles Route sign hung outside Memorial Stadium and came from the City of Baltimore. The Mezzanine sign hung inside the stadium.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3573.jpg (74.2 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3556.jpg (75.2 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3501.jpg (66.9 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3625.jpg (74.7 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3626.jpg (73.2 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by OriolesHOF; 01-14-2020 at 05:18 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:01 AM

Default Crown Gas

This one doesn't show up often on Ebay or at card shows. It was used as a coupon (save .70 cents) for a baseball so not many survived.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brooks Crown..jpg (30.8 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg Brooks Crown back..jpg (43.1 KB, 189 views)

Last edited by quitcrab; 01-14-2020 at 05:02 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:32 AM
Mike Magee

Default Joe Posnanski- Brooks Robinson

If anyone subscribes to The Athletic, Joe Posnanski's Top 100 article today is about Brooks:

https://theathletic.com/1516422/2020...ooks-robinson/
Old 01-14-2020, 06:06 AM
Alan Strout

Default Salada Coins

Quote:
Hi, I have a couple of questions for the fellow O's collectors on here:

1.) I am no expert on the 1962 Salada coins but there seems to be at least a few viewing this thread. A few years ago, I purchased the basic complete set. The seller threw in a couple of additional coins. One is a Brooks Robinson with a white rim. All other Brooks coins I've seen are the standard orange rim. Googling has yielded no other info, so I've always assumed the coin was altered. Does anyone know exactly what this is?

Thanks for the help!
All of the Orioles from the Salada and Shirriff coin sets were originally issued in orange. It is fairly easy to swap out the paper inserts with another color if the plastic on the original coin is damaged. It is also easy to swap Salada and Shirriff coins. There is a post earlier that says which coins were issued with each type back.

Hope this helps.

Alan
Old 01-14-2020, 07:54 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Here is a variation on that 1977 Audio Instructional tape shown earlier...This is available if anyone would be interested (DM me):