NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-14-2021, 05:45 AM

Default Best Advice You've Given

'Tis better to give than recieve...What's the best advice you've given, and what were the results if known?

I befriended an eBay seller whom had a nice (almost complete) Mays Topps run in mostly PSA 3. When I ran the #s, he appeared to be leaving some money on the table if only he completed the run and added a 52T. He took the advice and relisted with the full run. In doing so, was able to add more value to the ultimate buyer, and netted a much better ROI.

I was thrilled the advice yielded a mutually beneficial outcome for buyer and seller.

What's the best advice you've given to help out and bless others?
Old 04-14-2021, 06:46 AM
Ben North

I have stopped several people from buying altered cards and pointed out several bad sellers.

It didn't work but I recently PMed a great member and told him responding to the Net54 resident racist homophobic POS was not worth it.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:34 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Topps Mantles and Goudey Ruths and T206s aren't rare. If you have to sell them to pay for something that is actually rare you should. They might have gone up in price in the meantime, but you'll always be able to find them.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:48 AM
Robert J. Miller

This was when I was set up at a card show back in the day when they referred to us as weekend dealers or something like that.
Anyway, A younger boy and his father asked me if this was a good deal. He would get from the other dealer Topps sets from around 1978 to 1982 or maybe 1983 plus a 1963 Fleer set for his 1933 autographed Babe Ruth card. The auto looked good to me but I am in no way an expert. But since this other dealer wanted it I am confident it was real.

I told him no way in the world that was a good deal. I said tat these sets were easy to get and he should have no problem getting them later on. I really tried my best to make sure he understood it was not a good deal. I said if he wanted to trade it he could take everything on my table it would still be a bad trade for him.

I have no idea of the outcome but I sure hope he took my advice.

Bob

Last edited by philliesfan; 04-14-2021 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:56 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

When it comes to this board, instead of quitting over the trolls who sometimes seem to dominate the debate, just use the Ignore List. If someone is a ridiculous card queen, don't waste your time on their hissy fits, and the ignorant, bb-brained loudmouths (and we all know who they are), just block and move on. You will miss nothing except being annoyed because those people rarely have anything credible or intelligent to add to the discussion about card collecting. They are just here to gloss themselves or pick fights.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-14-2021 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:15 AM

As a rule, I don't give unsolicited advice because I've always been fearful that someone would take the advice and get a poor result. Here, I'll make an exception.

Buy cards that you would like to own and look at every day. I think buying for investment purposes is a gamble. I appreciate that values of vintage cards have largely gone through the roof in the last couple years, but that is no assurance of future values.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:28 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Don't spend money on cards as a gamble when you should be socking it away in a starter home, college fund or a 401k. Yes, you can make a killing on cards but the market is unpredictable and volatile. Like most gambles in life, you always hear about the winners and not the losers. No one ever saddles up to you at a party and talks abour how they just lost their ass in Vegas or on bitcoin. If you have set a good financial basis for you and your family's future and can spend money on cards, go for it. But always makes me queasy when I hear 25 year olds putting all their eggs in one basket and rolling the dice.

If the price of your home goes down 25% you still have a roof over your head.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-14-2021 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:00 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
When it comes to this board, instead of quitting over the trolls who sometimes seem to dominate the debate, just use the Ignore List. If someone is a ridiculous card queen, don't waste your time on their hissy fits, and the ignorant, bb-brained loudmouths (and we all know who they are), just block and move on. You will miss nothing except being annoyed because those people rarely have anything credible or intelligent to add to the discussion about card collecting. They are just here to gloss themselves or pick fights.
Amen to that. It took me many years to actually use the ignore function, particularly since the once person I wanted to block is widely believed to be an expert here, but I've definitely been happier since I stopped seeing his posts and feeling compelled to point out that he appears to just be making up his facts most of the time.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:23 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Ha. I will refrain from guessing.

QUOTE=darwinbulldog;2092788]Amen to that. It took me many years to actually use the ignore function, particularly since the once person I wanted to block is widely believed to be an expert here, but I've definitely been happier since I stopped seeing his posts and feeling compelled to point out that he appears to just be making up his facts most of the time.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-14-2021, 09:42 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Ha. I will refrain from guessing.

QUOTE=darwinbulldog;2092788]Amen to that. It took me many years to actually use the ignore function, particularly since the once person I wanted to block is widely believed to be an expert here, but I've definitely been happier since I stopped seeing his posts and feeling compelled to point out that he appears to just be making up his facts most of the time.
[/QUOTE]

LOL, I'm intrigued and have a couple in mind but not really sure who it could be.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:45 AM

Buy what you want when you can afford it.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:48 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

LOL, I'm intrigued and have a couple in mind but not really sure who it could be.[/QUOTE]

I believe his user name is Archive.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:53 AM
Br.ent So.bie

I would suggest taking literally everything said by a number of Net54 daily regulars - including people posting in this thread - with a MASSIVE "grain" of salt.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:34 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I keep finding myself where folks keep asking if T206s, 33 goudeys, raw 50-60's stars, etc are real or fake. The advice I always give is if in doubt, you can always find another one and you'll regret passing on a good card far less than being stuck with a bad one.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 04-14-2021, 02:24 PM
Scott Russell

Little different take on the question, but I am often asked by new and/or aspiring auctioneers (in general not just card guys) for advice and I always say "Having and idea is great, but it's no substitute for having a plan."
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-14-2021, 02:48 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

That’s great advice for any business. Easy to come up with an idea. We all have dozens of supposedly great ideas every day. Coming up with a plan is work.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:57 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

'Don't listen to me - I spend money on cardboard images.'

honorable mention - 'Kevin Maas is going to be great!'

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-15-2021, 08:15 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
honorable mention - 'Kevin Maas is going to be great!'

He WAS great.

Just not for very long
Old 04-16-2021, 08:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
I would suggest taking literally everything said by a number of Net54 daily regulars - including people posting in this thread - with a MASSIVE "grain" of salt.
I would too but with regard to baseball cards, many of our members know way, way more than a TPG....

Also, don't eat yellow snow!
Old 04-16-2021, 09:54 AM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default A Frank Zappa Fan?!?

OT: The late Frank Zappa wrote "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" in 1974. I will never forget the title. I Googled the lyrics just now. They're great. The song hit number 86 on the charts back then. Thanks for bringing back the memory of the late, great Zappa. Weird but wonderful guy. Peace.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:15 AM

Huge Zappa fan here. Was just singing that song yesterday.

I have a couple of great Zappa signed items in my collection: the contract for his classic 1970 performance at the Fillmore East (signed and initialed several times, and also by Bill Graham) and the only vintage signed copy of "We're Only in it for the Money" I've ever encountered.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:38 AM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
Huge Zappa fan here. Was just singing that song yesterday.

I have a couple of great Zappa signed items in my collection: the contract for his classic 1970 performance at the Fillmore East (signed and initialed several times, and also by Bill Graham) and the only vintage signed copy of "We're Only in it for the Money" I've ever encountered.
My first time ever hearing "We're Only In It For the Money" was a revelation. Side splitting laughter too. Fortunate to have seen Zappa live, twice including a Halloween show at the Felt Forum. Of course, I wasn't collecting Baseball cards back then..