NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-11-2016, 10:49 AM

I think you are. I never expect to find anything I want at a card show. I mostly go because it's a weekend, I'm looking for something out of the ordinary, and maybe, just maybe this time I find something I like at a reasonable price. I never walk into a White Plains show for example with a few K in my pocket ready to spend. If you're at the National or some huge collector showcase show I think the pocket money number goes up, but not for a local show you're just casually passing through.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:51 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Double Post

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 04-11-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:53 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think you are.
Nope, I'm obviously not. Read the post above my last one.

@Peter. That's great if you know the dealers and they trust you. I just prefer cash. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel I can negotiate a better deal with cash.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:57 AM
Al Richter

Default Payment

Cash, along with checks, credit cards and PayPal give you the most flexibility and leverage, especially at a big show like the National. But, carrying large amounts of cash has it's risks. To each their own. There would seem to be no one right answer for everyone.

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 04-11-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:59 AM

I mean, I could see your pocket money number going up at a large collector showcase show like a National, but your local show doesn't seem like the place to just assume you might need a few thousand dollars. And although that poster might think dealers shouldn't bend over backwards for a buyer, I disagree. The dealer is the one with something to sell. If I leave with my money it's not a bad day for me. But if you leave with your inventory it is one for you.

Last edited by packs; 04-11-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:10 AM

At the National, for some collectors $6,000 is really just pocket change.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:19 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Seller's want cash so they can avoid any tax issues.

Yes, call me Mr. Obvious.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-11-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:40 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

++
Old 04-11-2016, 02:47 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

If I'm at a show, any you have some nice PSA 9's from the 70's, and they are priced reasonably, and you take plastic, we will do a lot of business.

If you only take cash, then your s*** out of luck, and IMHO, are probably not someone I would do business with anyways.

I wouldn't know how to take that kind of cash out of my account anyway. And walking around Atlantic City with +$10,000 in cash doesn't sound like a good idea to me. But that's just me.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:04 PM
Tony Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

Great point. Not so obvious in that no one else mentioned it. No one pays taxes on a cash transaction.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:06 PM
Chris Moore

I started collecting again last summer, and I've been to maybe 5-6 shows over that span. I noticed the exact same thing as the OP. I just take cash with me, then when I run out, I make another trip to the ATM. This last show I actually made 2 trips to the ATM, even though it was about a 10 minute drive from the hotel.

I do find it frustrating that dealers haven't evolved with the technology that makes life so much easier as consumers, but it is what it is. I understand the points that others have brought up here, but it's still a strange business model... I readily admit I don't spend as much at shows as I would if plastic were accepted. You'd think that limitation would be enough for most dealers to upgrade (as it has worked in just about every other industry/market that exists).

All that being said, I try to use cash whenever I can when buying my cards, especially at my LCS. I understand the fees associated with plastic are a burden that the seller bears, so I like using cash to help out where I can.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:39 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

The big time dealers should at least get square: squareup.com