NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Default SGC large size holders

Posted By: leon

Ok...so a few folks have asked about the larger sized SGC holders. Here is a card I got back today. The holder is 10.5" x 7.5" approx. As I have said I have about 50% of my collection slabbed but about 98% of the value, or more. I like to have a 3rd party opinion, that I respect, take a look at the more valuable ones. I can catch most alterations but not all of them. It has saved me a lot of money in doing so too. To each their own and I know slabbing isn't for a lot of folks. I think this looks pretty nice though. I resized it so the scan wouldn't be huge. I was pulling for a 30 but who cares (the back is nice).....best regards

Old 01-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Leon- I'm with you guy. At first I was a little taken aback by the huge SGC holder for 1911 Zeenuts but now I think they look great.
tbob

Old 01-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Hornish

That is one helluva nice card......wow!

Old 01-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

Wow is right! Nice holder and card Leon! That's one of the most attractive cards that I've ever laid eyes on.

Ricky

Old 01-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

Nice looking holder. The card too(goes without saying). What's the cost?

Old 01-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Not sure on the lesser valued cards but this one was $100, in the $7500 and over category. I know they have 3-4 tiers and this is the highest. best regards

Old 01-12-2007, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad

Personally I think the Lg SGC holders are ugly and for some reason they seem unbalanced (I guess the grading tag is just too small).

Boston Garter cards are huge. I had no idea they were so big!

Old 01-12-2007, 01:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RC McKenzie

The Rucker card is awesome. The slab seems kind of obtuse and the grade assigned appears low. Who graded that card? What's the guy's name? In fine art you get a coa with a person's name and opinion attached. If I could send my cards off to get graded with a coa from Tim Newcomb and Dan McKee I might do that, but otherwise I'd rather own it in a toploader. Regards

Old 01-12-2007, 04:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Kravitz

Anyone know what size oversized PSA holders are compared to the SGC? I tend to remember PSA being smaller and probably easier to handle and store.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

Well the thing SGC could do is cut down on all that extra plastic surrounding the card. PSA's holder has no borders and SGC does. I dont think thats a problem with normal sized cards, but for oversized cards i think they could do without the big black borders.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

I think the sgc slabs look great - I dont know how they compare to psa size wise, but you have to compare apples to apples. The rucker has a lot of black because the card, while larger than normal, is still smaller than a T3 - psa's oversize slabs are only for t3s (I believe) while sgc's is a little bigger, but able to be customized for almost any oversize card. If you put a t3 in one of sgc's slabs, there is far less black border than seen with Leon's card.

From SGC's website (looks pretty nice to me):

Old 01-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I just wonder how the heck I can store them?

Old 01-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Burke

speaking of large size holders, where can you get sleeves for the larger holders? Probably not exactly a hot commodity but certainly the 4 1/4 by 7 1/4 must be??

Old 01-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

1st of all, great card Leon. I would like to see smaller borders on the sides for that size of card. Too much black on the outside. I think the T3's look great because they are larger cards.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 01-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

One thing to consider, when you are trying to decide between PSA and SGC large holders, is whether or not you plan to keep several of them in a safety deposit box. I have PSA, and you can fit two stacks almost perfectly in a standard 5 by 10 box. It works really well. However, since SGC is somewhat larger, I'm guessing they would not fit in the same area. Also, if you went to a larger 10 by 10 box and tried to stand them all up, the PSA would fit and the SGC would not - if they truly are 10.5 inches tall. I was all set to send several T3 cards to SGC before I finally realized this. now I have changed my plans and will go exclusively with PSA on large holders. Just something to think about.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

There are clear sheets that you can find at Office Depot designed to hold multiple sheets of paper. Maybe those would work as sleeves for these holders?

Old 03-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: S Gross

Break-out Update:

Having cracked t9's out of both PSA and GAI holders, I was ready for a challenge to break out a SGC oversize ..........

............ BUT, to my surprize, one simple screw driver tap on the side seam, and the whole case split perfectly in two (I didn't even need to get out my oyster knife) !!!!!!!!!!

(Somewhere Frank W. is smiling )