NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-09-2014, 01:56 AM

Default An Introduction from Canada - Cracker Jack Anyone?

Hi Guys,

Just a quick introduction. My name is Herb from Southern Ontario (a deeply disappointed 2013 Jays fan) and I have been a long time lurker here. I recently decided it was time to officially sign up. Like many new members here, I too was a long time collector with boxes and boxes of cards of players I couldn't have cared less about back in the day when "graded" cards didn't exist. So many years ago before the kids came along, I dumped the majority of them (99% of them) and kept only a few star/HOF cards.

Now that my kids are grown (but still living at home - probably forever...), I have a keen interest to get back into the hobby focusing on HOF cards of players that appeal to me. That all changed recently, however, when I bought my first few 1915 Cracker Jack cards. I find myself quite interested in this set - even the common no-name players.

So my question is this, if anyone here has any 1915 CJ cards for sale, I'd love to hear from you. Please feel free to contact me at:

kane.herb@gmail.com

Thanks to everyone who posts here and contributes to the collecting community. A terrific site indeed...!

Herb.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:54 AM
Bill Gregory

Welcome to the forum, Herb, and best of luck with your Cracker Jack collection.

If you haven't read Tom & Ellen Zappala's book The Cracker Jack Collection: Baseball's Prized Players, I highly recommend it. I got it for Christmas, and I've had a hard time putting it down. I'm in no way affiliated with them, I just have a love for the sets, like you, and wanted to learn more about the cards before starting to collect them. I won't be working on the full sets, but I will be adding cards over time from the players I really like.

http://www.crackerjackplayers.com/

If you're looking to buy them, you'll want to check out our Buy/Sell/Trade forums. As the cards are from 1914 and 1915, you'll find them on the pre-war board:

http://net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Have fun, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Bill

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Welcome to the forum and welcome to "coming out" Herb. Cracker Jacks are very cool cards. If you have never actually held a 1914, you should. They are much thinner than the 1915s. CJs are great set to collect. We have quite a few members that collect them. Me, I collect everything....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe1451crackerjacksmaster3x.jpg (77.2 KB, 197 views)
Old 01-09-2014, 08:30 AM
Barry Arnold

Default newbie

welcome aboard Net54!!
cracker jacks are beautiful cards. I have a 14 camnitz and a 15 Connolly for
my type collection and love seeing them on my office walls daily.
all the best,
barry
Old 01-09-2014, 08:46 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I collect them as well, I made a lot of progress over the last year. Down to needing about 30 more total for all the 1915's. Some people collect a set with a mix of 1914's and 1915's and some people collect just one or the other. I am trying to do all 1915's. The 1915's have more players in the set 176 compared to 144 but other than that they're almost identical. There were a couple different cards in the 14 set but almost all the same.

The 14's are cool to hold as Leon mentioned. I've had some raw ones and they are very thin, kind of see through when held up to light. If you're going for a set you may want to decide which year you'll go for first or if you'll do a mix. All are great ways to collect. However, if only doing 1914's are you want them in decent condition, you'll need deep pockets. Good luck. I may have a double or two but have to check the pile.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:42 PM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

Welcome Herb. I just recently picked up my first CJ too. It's part of my Pittsburgh type collection. I also picked up another type recently and the player has ties to your neck of the woods I think. George Gibson - born in London, Ontario:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1915CJ.jpg (44.4 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg E93gibson.jpg (76.1 KB, 150 views)

***I've had 50+ successful BST transactions as both a buyer and a seller. Please feel free to PM me for references***
Old 01-09-2014, 01:57 PM
Chris Wood

Welcome Herb!

I don't really collect (to keep) cards but am active on the memorabilia side and love to soak up the educational opportunities throughout the board. I mostly wanted to let you know that as another log suffering Jays fan, you are not alone Sir! Chris
Old 01-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Rich Rockwood

Welcome I had the same experience you had with the Cracker Jack set about 10 years ago. If you ever have any questions about the set just PM me, I'd be glad to help if possible.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:02 PM
Steven

Welcome Herb.

Nice choice, I just finished my mixed set of 180 cards a couple months ago and continue to be obsessed with them. I even wrote about it, here's a link if possibly interested:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=179326

Tough call on 1914 vs 1915, just do a master 200-card set! There are some REALLY tough 1914s and its hard to be a stickler on condition of those as some very rarely come up at auction, and that does not include the Pratt or Matty along with Joe make the big 3 in that set. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1914-15 Cracker Jack Poster.jpg (78.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 68.jpg (44.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 99.jpg (42.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 133.jpg (43.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (43.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 36.jpg (47.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 30.jpg (46.5 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by rainier2004; 01-09-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:13 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the warm welcome from everyone who responded and for the photos and stories that were shared. Some great looking cards here, for sure.

I'm still not sure which direction I'm going to go here (whether to just seek out the cards that appeal to me or to complete the 1915 set), but I'll enjoy these as they come along. I'd prefer to stick to cards in nicer condition, so that may factor in when I get around to the hof cards.

Bill, I just picked up that book and it is fantastic - thanks.

Jason, you're quite right. London is only about an hour from where I live and to this day still remains a hotbed for minor league baseball. Both of my boys played rep ball and rarely did we ever drive away from the London area without getting our asses kicked ... Lol.

One more general question (it could probably warrant it's own thread but this is related) ..... Since attending many of the big U.S. shows is not always possible (although I do get to the big Toronto show twice a year which is usually well attended by U.S. collectors who bring up some nice baseball stuff), my question is this; are the CJ cards generally listed on eBay overpriced? Can one expect to pay less - or considerably less at the big U.S. shows (National)? Are there eBay sellers who regularly list CJ cards, I should avoid? Not looking to step on any toes here - perhaps a PM might serve if there is anything I should be aware of.

Thanks again guys,

Herb.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:17 AM
Rich Rockwood

My experience has been that the BIN prices for Cjs on feeBay are usually overpriced. There are some cards on there that I've seen sitting there for years lol. I don't attend shows so can't comment on the prices there.

I'd watch out for that Rainer2004 guy

Last edited by RichR; 01-10-2014 at 04:17 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:28 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
I'd watch out for that Rainer2004 guy
Me too, I think he bights!