NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-05-2020, 06:32 AM

Default Carlton World

http://sportsantiques.com/viennabbbronze.htm
Twenty two years ago I saw one of these Vienna baseball bronzes that you can read about in the feature linked above. I couldn’t afford that one and I had been on the lookout for another ever since. Recently a collector I’ve known a while who only collects University of Pennsylvania items wanted three things from my collection and I traded them for this Vienna. I gave up my Leyendecker U. Penn football poster, a big porcelain U. Penn football lamp (the collector had a matching lamp so now he has a pair), and a 12” plaster figure of a U. Penn football player (which I most hated to give up of the three)…I gave it a lot of thought since it’s so worn. I consulted two collector friends who gave the thumbs up.

On the one hand yes it’s worn and beat up…but on the other hand…you’re 300% sure it’s original from the wear. And speaking of the wear…it would have to be the most mysterious statue I’ve ever dealt with. Reason being…how could it have gotten that worn…And the arm is cracked…hey It’s bronze...I don’t think I’ve ever heard of bronze cracking…and besides that how could it have gotten cracked downward the way it is…Bronze is extremely strong stuff…And then there’s the base…How in the world could the paint have gotten that much wear and yet the red marble base is essentially perfect!....puzzling and a mystery. To me it looks like it has been clanging around in a toy box full of toys for about three generations...Like there parents let them play with it as a toy...Another thing I'll mention is the catchers mask is missing. You'll see the featured one has the mask...They were so finely crafted you could remove them!

But being I already had three other Vienna sports bronzes it fit in perfectly with them…a billiards one…two joined boxers…and a group of three soccer players going for the ball…I found that soccer one at the Hillsborough Antiques show about 20 years ago and had to throw down some very serious money to get it…The lady was an experienced antiques dealer from the east coast and knew what she had!…Out of the zillions of Vienna bronzes produced during the late 19th century to the late 1930’s very few sports ones were made.

In all the years I’ve known of the one I did the feature on…I never stopped to think about the P on the batters cap…And there’s an H on the catchers, (cap worn backwards). I understand that under the bronze base of mine, the words “Harvard and Pennsylvania” is written. I hate to disturb it though so haven’t looked. To add more to the mystery...Because the other one I featured also had the same P on the cap...I would speculate that perhaps some well heeled parent of a Harvard or Penn student had them made special order...

Auction House Description:
Exceedingly scarce antique cast metal baseball player statue titled "Two Strikes" showing a batter and a catcher. Circa 1890s. Much of the original paint remains, including the letter P on the batter and the letter H on the catcher. When metal statue was removed from base the words "Harvard and Pennsylvania" were found written under the metal baseplate, indicating that the players depict a game between University of Pennsylvania Quakers and Harvard Crimson, both Ivy League schools. Good condition with original base plaque and minor damage to the bat. Measures 6 1/2" tall.

Another interesting tid-bit is one day I was thumbing thru a book on Victorian Interiors...and guess what I spotted in a c1905 photo...see at very bottom this post...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 10-30-2020 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:09 AM
Al

Carlton,
As we know we are only care takers of these items and we are all getting older! At this point in life if it makes you happy (and I know it does) you have to go for it! Its a cool piece and it fits right into your collection! Looks like it made you happy and made your friend happy.. SOOOOO a nice win win! Enjoy it and as always great collection!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 10-05-2020, 07:16 AM

WOW!!! Great piece, even though a lot of paint is missing the detail is fantastic. I especially like the "ring bat" the U Penn player is holding.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:28 AM
Jim Murphy

anytime you can trade football for baseball I would do it. Great piece!
Old 10-05-2020, 07:45 AM

Great piece. Love you got in trade also, the very best deal as both sides get something they wanted more.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:40 AM

Beautiful piece, Carlton.
Congrats on finally being able to add it to your great collection!
Old 06-07-2022, 07:53 AM

Default Sat Evening Post Cover

I like the bronze, Carlton. If you like the Univ of Penn poster football image you might find one of these. Nov. 14 1908 Saturday Evening Post.

I immediately recognized your poster image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SEP6.jpg (194.8 KB, 352 views)
Old 06-07-2022, 12:10 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks Hoy...I'm guessing you are referring to the auto racer statue...not actually bronze but spelter...A friend in the Netherlands sent me a bunch of photos of Euro statues with the same pose...see below....

https://www.sportsantiques.com/PurdueNWBBPost.htm
Yeah that Saturday Evening Post cover was one of many that the artist Joseph Leyendecker did monthly for the SEP...including an occasional sports illustration...I had one that had the same kicker...for a high school...I did a story back in 2010 which addresses it...which seems to point to Leyendecker shrewdly getting his monies worth from his work by allowing that image to be used for a high school...link to story above...

Old 06-07-2022, 03:52 PM

Carlton - sorry, new to the forum and late to this thread... I was referring to the "Two Strikes" Vienna bronze you posted a couple of years ago.

Here are two other SEP illustrations, both baseball. The bunting batter looks poised for a broken finger or thumb! But I still love these.

Found a treasure trove of old SEPs magazines at a road side book store in WV last fall. These were the only sports covers (plus an automobile one I don't have displayed).

-Hoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SEP7.jpg (191.2 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg SEP8.jpg (193.8 KB, 314 views)

Last edited by Hoy'sNoDummy; 06-07-2022 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:39 PM

Default Vienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoy'sNoDummy View Post
Carlton - sorry, new to the forum and late to this thread... I was referring to the "Two Strikes" Vienna bronze you posted a couple of years ago.

Here are two other SEP illustrations, both baseball. The bunting batter looks poised for a broken finger or thumb! But I still love these.

Found a treasure trove of old SEPs magazines at a road side book store in WV last fall. These were the only sports covers (plus an automobile one I don't have displayed).

-Hoy

https://sportsantiques.com/viennabbbronze.htm
Great covers...and framed up nice...thanks on the Vienna Two Strikes... above a link to a 2009 feature I did...where it all started...

Old 06-15-2022, 11:42 AM

Default golf

Just to show I'm not only about boats...here's a pickup from earlier this year...this hit the gotta have it level...only example I've ever seen...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 06-15-2022 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:22 AM
Tim Odeen

Very cool. it reminds me of a family picture I have of my gr-gr-grandparents. I only have a copy, so it is not as clear as the original.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 12-09-2022, 12:20 PM

Default thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Very cool. it reminds me of a family picture I have of my gr-gr-grandparents. I only have a copy, so it is not as clear as the original.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Hey thanks Tim...just saw this...now that's a family photo...looks like a pretty powerful bike...thanks for posting...

Jeff Kuhr...thank you sir...sounds great where do I sign...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 12-09-2022 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-31-2022, 08:57 PM

Default New Feature

https://sportsantiques.com/1926_gar_...aperweight.htm
Please see link above to my latest story on a 1926 paperweight featuring a figural of Gar Wood’s Miss America V powerboat. The Miss America V won the Harmsworth trophy in 1926.

The feature covers many aspects of the paperweight including:
1. The life and times of the famous industrialist Gar Wood.
2. A timeline of the fateful 1926 Harmsworth race won by Miss America V.
3. A summary of Detroit industrial culture c1911
4. A summarized history of the Harmsworth race
5. Speculation scenarios of why there are only eight known examples of the paperweight.
6. A look at the 1926 cost to produce Miss America V, with an inflation conversion to what it would cost today.
7. The paperweights artistic importance and place among powerboat collectibles

As well the story features more than 40 photos.

Please enjoy…
Kindly -Carlton

Old 12-31-2022, 11:03 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Wow wow and wow.

The great and unique items keep a coming

Congrats and keep them coming

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-01-2023, 07:34 AM
Rob

The paper weight and your research are amazing. Congrats on another great find!