NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-02-2011, 10:40 PM

Default Sculptor of the Spalding Trophies I.D.’d

Photobucket

A month or so ago on eBay I got a very interesting 18 ˝” wide x 10” tall photo of a formal banquet of the Dieges and Clust company. Many of you are probably familiar with the figural Spalding trophies, which were made by Dieges and Clust.

Photobucket
Photo courtesy Robert Edward Auctions

The photo is inscribed

“Dieges and Clust Long Service Testimonial and Bowling League Banquet Narr. Hotel Providence R.I. May 5, 1951”

Photobucket

At first I wasn’t too impressed since Dieges and Clust did their best work prior 1951. Nevertheless, I bought it with the offered BIN of around $20.00 as I recall. I immediately shot off an email with close in shots of my photo to Michael Wingert who is the great grandson of Col. Dieges, the founder of D&C…

….Michael showed it to his mom who I.D.’d a number of people in the photo…including….drum roll please…a Mr. Constanzo Luini who Michael indicates sculpted the Spalding trophies….I’m waiting for an email from Michael to show me exactly who he is in the photo…As I told Michael….I feel a story coming on… so stand by for more…and a look at the person responsible for how great the Spaldings are...All Michael told me so far is 'He is the WHITE HAIRED GENTLEMAN in the picture”….right Michael LOL!...Until I Michael gives the exact, I can only speculate Luini may be the one circled in red below...

Photobucket

email excerpts below

3/30/11
Carlton, Jackpot...you have pics of my step Uncle Robert Dieges (Grampa's first son & President in 1951) & his wife Mildred, Mrs. Rose Gorden who ran the factory, August Packer (major D&C stock holder) & his three sons (August started out as a salesman), Uncle Robert (mom's brother as a salesman) & Constanzo Luini (THE SCULPTOR) & his son John (also a sculptor). I will figure out how to point out who is who another time. I am visiting my Mom in the hospital (after hip surgery yesterday). Talk to you soon.
Michael
__________________________________________________ _

3/30/11
Michael,
Condolences for your mom's surgery...I certainly hope she is feeling better and out of the hospital soon....Please convey my best wishes.

Re: your info...WOW...that is great!!...my first big question: Did Constanzo Luini sculpt the Spalding Trophies???

I definetly feel a story coming on for my website....am anxious to get
names to faces...WOW this is great thanks so much
-Carlton
__________________________________________________ _

3/31/11
Constanzo Luini was the only one with enough talent to sculpt the Spalding Trophies...so yes he is our man. He is the WHITE HAIRED GENTLEMAN in the picture.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Dan Bretta

That is very cool Carlton.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:12 AM

Great detective work Carlton-congrats!!
Old 04-09-2022, 09:40 PM

Default Thank you...

Thanks Scott and Dan...Sorry it took 13 years to reply lol....

Old 04-10-2022, 04:07 PM

Default Sculptor of Spalding Trophies

Well done C! right up your alley!! How many figural Spalding trophies do you have?
Old 04-10-2022, 06:28 PM

Default thanks

thanks John...just one...the baseman...gave the rest to the goodwill...

Old 04-10-2022, 06:35 PM

Default The Three

That I own, I recently picked up the First baseman that Ben made me aware that it looks strikingly similar to Lou Gehrig.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C5E07057-E06B-4057-B14E-328792FB412E.jpg (195.9 KB, 96 views)
Old 04-11-2022, 01:38 PM
Jimmy

So cool Carlton!