NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-17-2022, 02:27 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Default Early 20th Century Ticket Stub Question

Regular season (non-WS) tickets were usually printed with just the number of the home game, no date or opponent. As doubleheaders were frequent and not day/night, a ticket to a doubleheader got the bearer admission to both games. So if there were for example 77 home games but 14 of them were contained in doubleheaders, thus rendering the season with only 63 home dates, is it fair to assume that tickets only had the numbers 1-63 printed on them? Which would reflect the 63 home dates which encompassed 77 home games? Or would the tickets be numbered 1-77 and skip the doubleheader game?

For example: game 1 is a single game, home games 2-3 were a doubleheader, home game 4 of the season a single game, home games 5-6 are a doubleheader, home game 7 was a single game. Would the tickets be numbered:

Or:

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-17-2022, 06:00 PM
Hank Thomas

And what about rainouts and makeup games? Surely they woudn't have printed the entire season in advance, so what effect did those have on the numbering? A few years back, I picked up a Washington home ticket originating from a kid's scrapbook wherein he had noted the year for all of his items, and the ticket was in his "1907" section, with a photo of the scrapbook page as proof. It was numbered "44," and I got excited at the idea that this would have put the game in range to have been Walter Johnson's debut in a doubleheader on August 2 that year. But when I tried to pin it down further, I got fouled up by the unknowns regarding the very questions you and I are asking, and nobody seemed to have the answers, so I gave up and sold it for $50. I still wonder about that ticket. Good luck, Jeff.
Old 04-17-2022, 09:26 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Surely they wouldn't have printed the entire season in advance
Why not?
Old 04-18-2022, 03:38 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Why not?
Expense, for one thing. Especially back then, when money was so tight, are you going to print tickets for the entire stadium for every game, then throw away most of them, as attendance was so much smaller then, or are you going to wait until a few days beforehand and try to predict what the demand might be, print those, and have some kind of generic or proof tickets to use for any excess demand that might materialize in the interim? Also, any numbering system would be rendered obsolete by the first rainout. I'm not saying I know how they did do it, but I can't imagine them sucking up the enormous cost of the first scenario when that could be avoided by a more timely system.