NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 10-15-2022, 02:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default 2014 RCs and the HOF

Betts seems on track. DeGrom, the big maybe, and the test case for a new generation of pitchers with fewer IP and wins. Other than that, don't see anyone.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-15-2022, 02:34 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Betts is on track

Degrom is a HOF talent but he’s got less innings than some relievers and has only hit 162 to even qualify for league leads 4 times. He’s 34 year olds. I think he is unlikely, and while career length standards will lessen to reflect the new era, his totals are extremely low even in this context. I hope he stays healthy and aged well, I root for him. But I think it’s unlikely.

The other one that comes to mind as a possibility is Xander Bogaerts. 29, premium positions, consistently good stat line, 34.8 WAR so far. His similarity scores are hall of famers or guys who were on track before poor second half careers. The kind of guy who gets in if he ages well. Not a peak value dominator like Betts.

I’m probably forgetting someone, I don’t stay up on rookie cards much. Probably somebody we don’t guess also has a strong second half career, hits counting milestones, and makes it in as well.
Old 10-15-2022, 02:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Yeah I guess Xander is still in the running, fair point.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-15-2022, 02:43 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Isn’t Jose Abreu a 2014 rookie? He started way too late, he’s 35, but he’s been a great hitter and has a 134 OPS+. As a 1B, he’s just not going to hit the counting milestones since he started at 27. Seems like he should be mentioned though, as he’s a HOF talent, and would be on track if he hadn’t defected so late. His rookie year was one of the all time great rookie seasons, he clearly was major league quality before he actually got here.
Old 10-15-2022, 02:43 PM
James M.

I believe Jose Ramirez was technically considered a rookie even though he debuted, the year before. I think he's on his way to the Hall, barring a major career downturn. He's already accumulated 40 WAR. Still stealing bases at a decent clip as well.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 10-15-2022, 02:50 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I think Jose Ramirez was a 2013 rookie card class, but looking at his numbers he’s better than I thought. He’s very much in that same category as Boegarts. 129OPS+
Old 10-15-2022, 03:09 PM
D@vid L@dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I think Jose Ramirez was a 2013 rookie card class, but looking at his numbers he’s better than I thought. He’s very much in that same category as Boegarts. 129OPS+
JRam was 2014 as well...he absolutely has an HOF shot

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2022, 03:14 PM

Hi Peter, Jim here. I'm thinking a great prospect is Rafael Devers. He played his first minor league game in 2014, and his Bowman prospect is 2014. The RC logo card wasn't issued of course until 2018. With that said, Devers is quite the talent and in the next couple of years we will see his career projections much better. For now, I think he has a lot of potential. Your thoughts?
Old 10-15-2022, 03:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Hi Peter, Jim here. I'm thinking a great prospect is Rafael Devers. He played his first minor league game in 2014, and his Bowman prospect is 2014. The RC logo card wasn't issued of course until 2018. With that said, Devers is quite the talent and in the next couple of years we will see his career projections much better. For now, I think he has a lot of potential. Your thoughts?
Yeah he kind of crashed second half this year but definitely potential.

Old 10-15-2022, 03:25 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldoEsq View Post
JRam was 2014 as well...he absolutely has an HOF shot

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Thank you for correcting, I could have sworn he was in my 2013 set.
Old 10-15-2022, 04:04 PM
Ian H@ll

I realize it's a different sport, and in a lot of ways an unfair comparison to baseball, but I'm amazed by Aaron Donald. It's unusual in any sport for someone to be lock HOF after so few years. He's played 8 seasons and would be a HOF if he never played another snap.

8-time Pro Bowl
7-time All-Pro
Super Bowl Champ
2014 Defensive Rookie of the Year
3-time Defensive Player of the Year (with 4 other top-5 finishes)
He's over 100 sacks, which is an insane feat, considering he isn't a DE or OLB

Since we're talking cards, what are the go-to RC options for deGrom, Mookie and Jo-Ram?

Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906
Old 10-15-2022, 04:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

A generational defensive player IMO.

Old 10-15-2022, 04:58 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I believe Jose Ramirez was technically considered a rookie even though he debuted, the year before. I think he's on his way to the Hall, barring a major career downturn. He's already accumulated 40 WAR. Still stealing bases at a decent clip as well.
+1 on Jose! Has all the tools for a 5' 9" guy.

He got called up on 9/1/13 when they expanded the ML rosters, and only had 14 plate appearances in the 15 games he appeared in that season. So, I believe you are absolutely correct, and he isn't considered a rookie till 2014. In 2013 he clearly was on the ML active roster for less than 45 days, and had nowhere near 130 at bats.

A 4-time All-Star, 3-time Silver Slugger recipient, and has received MVP votes in 5 seasons, including two 3rds and one 2nd place in the MVP voting, so far. And those figures don't include SS or MVP results for 2022 yet. He's had 5 seasons so far where he's been in the Top Ten for WAR, and he's got the 26th highest total WAR of all active players, despite only just turning 30 last month. And he even led all of MLB with intentional walks this season.

Still, the HOF might be a reach without a lot more great years from him. Most every position player ahead of him on the active WAR list have more years played than Jose, except maybe for Betts and Arenando, who are both comparable in age and seasons played to Ramirez. Yet both are double digits ahead of Ramirez in total WAR. A great player, nonetheless.