NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 11-04-2022, 10:13 AM

Default 1991 Topps Desert Shield Production Figures

Ever since the original posts about the set, a lot has happened. Mile High (2018) sold the #1 rated PSA set for $106K with recent pack sales at REA (2022) going for over $1K a pack. However, until recently the actual production figures were never known. Post War Cards has a good blog (www.postwarcards.com):::>

http://postwarcards.com

detailing the actual production figures and congratulating the employees. Topps appeared to have rushed to get the set produced prior to Christmas break. In the letter, Topps execs detailed that 500 cases were produced or 6,818 of each card (500 cases X 20 boxes per case X 36 packs per box X 15 cards per pack = 5,400,000 total cards / 792 players in set or 6,818 cards of each player. The letter was dated Dec. 21, 1990.

This confirms much of what we speculated about the set, but could not confirm until now. The series of posts about the set were interesting. Great job John!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Topps Production Letter.JPG (47.5 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 11-04-2022 at 12:29 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-04-2022, 11:37 AM
Al Richter

Zach—is it known if any of the Desert Shield packs had any of the older insert cards or instant winner cards Topps placed in their 40 year anniversary packs ?

Also—have all of the known DS packs been the 15 card type ?

Do we know how the DS cards were sent overseas and through what means ? And how many of those made were actually sent overseas ? And were DS cards sent or created only in pack form or were there factory DS sets ?

And I assume if someone bought what were purported to be DS packs that had not been authenticated as described in the article, the only way to confirm their authenticity is to open them

I have had two DS sets that I bought in the mid 90s. I sold one. When buying one of them the seller included a pack he claimed was a DS pack. It was a throw in for no charge. I did not realize I was getting the pack until the set arrived. I will never know if it is legit. Fortunately both sets were legit

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 11-04-2022 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-04-2022, 12:24 PM
Ben North

Great info, thanks so much for posting it.

Weirdly I can swear I have seen way more than that many DS Chipper rookies.

and a picture of my favorite DS card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSerror.jpg (124.9 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by bnorth; 11-04-2022 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-04-2022, 06:26 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure they produced 6,818 millions of the Desert Storm series 1 cards.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Zach—is it known if any of the Desert Shield packs had any of the older insert cards or instant winner cards Topps placed in their 40 year anniversary packs ?

Also—have all of the known DS packs been the 15 card type ?

Do we know how the DS cards were sent overseas and through what means ? And how many of those made were actually sent overseas ? And were DS cards sent or created only in pack form or were there factory DS sets ?

And I assume if someone bought what were purported to be DS packs that had not been authenticated as described in the article, the only way to confirm their authenticity is to open them

I have had two DS sets that I bought in the mid 90s. I sold one. When buying one of them the seller included a pack he claimed was a DS pack. It was a throw in for no charge. I did not realize I was getting the pack until the set arrived. I will never know if it is legit. Fortunately both sets were legit
Al,

The set appears to be a last minute product that they quickly produced and distributed. I believe they were airlifted overseas out of Myrtle Beach.
The Chicago Tribune ran an article in Feb 1991 stating that troops could pull one of the 300,00 vintage card or redemption certificates out of the packs:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...or-certificate

One article noted Topps spokesperson Ken Liss as stating only 5MM were initially shipped. It is unclear what happened to the remainder. Apparently most cases sat in an air force warehouse since Desert Shield ended Jan 17, 1991. Approx. 1.5MM cards were returned to the air force base in Myrtle Beach (Oct. 1992 per the Star News).

I do not think DS will be found in anything other than 15 card packs, but can't be certain. We know it is likely Topps retained some cards for whatever reason and it is possible they made some employee factory sets. My original contact for information on DS which came from the estate of a Topps exec, who said he had been responsible for the creation of this set said they also made various employee cards and other items as a year end employee bonus. That is where I got my 11 Topps DS sheets from as you are aware. If a factory set were produced, I would think it would have surfaced by now.

I have had buyers of the DS packs found on eBay tell me most of the packs they bought were previously opened and resealed. They go for about $300. I have 32 packs remaining, half of which BBCE authenticated and wrapped in a hard protective pack; the others are unauthenticated but I believe are not previously opened or searched. I have the original box they came in. When I inspected the creases at the bottom of the box (which looks exactly like a 1991 Topps box), the creases had particles of sand fall out. The packs I previously opened or gave away were legit. Could be a deceptive seller from 20+ years ago, but won't know until I open the remainder.

Steve Hart told me at that time the only way they could authenticate packs is by opening an unopened box, randomly selecting 4-8 packs and the authenticating the remainder. They no longer authenticate packs. As previously noted in the blog posts above by Keith, when BBCE authenticates a box, of which he noted there were thought to be 9+/- remaining, BBCE would randomly open a similar # of packs, and then replace the opened packs with known, verified DS packs and reseal the box as "Authentic". All BBCE authenticated boxes are therefore "Frankenboxes".

Note - you can sometimes see the backs of the card through the wax paper once a blacklight illuminates the pack. Most (but not all) DS cards are glowbacks as we know. Check to see if you can make out the glowbacks.

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 11-05-2022 at 08:57 AM. Reason: typos, clarification
Old 11-05-2022, 08:52 AM

Some of the references mentioned above
Old 11-05-2022, 09:22 AM
Al Richter

Thanks Zach. Being a late production maybe none of the prior year cards were inserted in DS pack
Old 11-05-2022, 10:41 AM
Greg C

Any reference to additional print runs aside from the 500 cases in the letter?
Old 11-05-2022, 03:20 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

This is my favorite and only one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Desert 001.jpg (155.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Desert 002.jpg (64.9 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg Desert 003.jpg (168.7 KB, 96 views)
Old 11-06-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpopper View Post
Any reference to additional print runs aside from the 500 cases in the letter?
No, it is thought there was only 1 print run. The odd thing is the checklists on the DS sheets I have are uncorrected (factual errors are uncorrected) and there are no known variations (other than print variations). However, quite a few "corrected" cards were printed after the DS set. Seems odd
Old 11-06-2022, 07:21 PM
Greg C

don't think for a second a rogue employee couldn't have run the stamping machine afterwards