NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-06-2022, 06:15 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Ticket Stub Flipper Gets Crushed

I'm guessing no one is stepping up and admitting it was them, but whoever this was sure took a bath.

Ty Cobb Last Game Ticket Stub

Lelands Feb/March 2022 - $16,600:

https://auction.lelands.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=108529

Last night at Goldin exact same stub/PSA # sells for $5100 - high bid was 4250 (most likely the consignors take)

https://goldin.co/item/sep-11-1928-b...cket-stub47ser

Plus if they paid Goldin any selling fees.....approx a 12-13K bath OUCH!!!!!

I also saw a known Ebay seller bought during the madness of 2021 & early 2022 a Ruth Called Shot Ticket (& program), and he tried flipping on Ebay and also lost BIG recently. He was a Type 1 photo seller prior to Covid and tried his hand at Tickets and hopefully learned to stay in his lane.

I also saw a Ticket Flipper take a beating at Heritage in July & Aug with their consignments.

A lesson for all you youngsters out there, don't buy when things are peaking. Not everything rises. If you bought Tickets during 2021 to early 2022 hopefully you are a collector and not a flipper because flippers who didn't know what they were doing are learning the hard way now.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 11-06-2022 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:24 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
I'm guessing no one is stepping up and admitting it was them, but whoever this was sure took a bath.

Last night at Goldin exact same stub/PSA # sells for $5100 - high bid was 4250 (most likely the consignors take)

Plus if they paid Goldin any fees.....approx a 13K bath OUCH!!!!!
wow that is real ugly. Hope financially that person is ok with the loss.

Sadly we all have that risk if we have high dollar cards, stubs, etc and put in an Auction or it can soar and we make a killing

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-06-2022, 07:06 AM
James M.

I despise flippers, but I hope his financial loss was not crippling, and he didn't put all of eggs in one basket.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.

Last edited by Seven; 11-06-2022 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:43 AM
K Farrell

Could seller have a hidden reserve at Golden in which the Cobb ticket didn't actually sell?
Old 11-06-2022, 09:22 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Feel like we are entering an era where there will be some mild rejoicing and good humor value in watching people got their ass handed to them on a silver platter. I will avoid the temptation, however tempting, to rejoice in this stuff. Who knows who is a flipper. Maybe it's a dude whose marriage just fell apart or a family member who just got sick and all of a sudden a recent purchase doesn't look so smart. Most likely a super rich person who isn't feeling any pain at all, but who knows.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 11-06-2022 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:11 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfireschulte View Post
Could seller have a hidden reserve at Golden in which the Cobb ticket didn't actually sell?
I don't think so, I was in on the bidding in Overtime and led at one point, never saw any message of there being a Reserve.
Old 11-06-2022, 11:23 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I despise flippers, but I hope his financial loss was not crippling, and he didn't put all of eggs in one basket.
Isn't 86% of the hobby flippers just flipping/selling PSA cards to each other till they find a collector that will pay the new outrageous price?
Old 11-06-2022, 12:10 PM

Paul - that is a harsh post.

I love it. I agree with it 10000000%.

I hope that things turn back to the true collectors and flippers stay in their lane. I appreciate the thread and hope you can provide some other examples as well. The flippers need to panic, sell and get out of Dodge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post

Plus if they paid Goldin any selling fees.....approx a 12-13K bath OUCH!!!!!

I also saw a known Ebay seller bought during the madness of 2021 & early 2022 a Ruth Called Shot Ticket (& program), and he tried flipping on Ebay and also lost BIG recently. He was a Type 1 photo seller prior to Covid and tried his hand at Tickets and hopefully learned to stay in his lane.

I also saw a Ticket Flipper take a beating at Heritage in July & Aug with their consignments.

A lesson for all you youngsters out there, don't buy when things are peaking. Not everything rises. If you bought Tickets during 2021 to early 2022 hopefully you are a collector and not a flipper because flippers who didn't know what they were doing are learning the hard way now.
Old 11-06-2022, 12:19 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Feel like we are entering an era where there will be some mild rejoicing and good humor value in watching people got their ass handed to them on a silver platter. I will avoid the temptation, however tempting, to rejoice in this stuff. Who knows who is a flipper. Maybe it's a dude whose marriage just fell apart or a family member who just got sick and all of a sudden a recent purchase doesn't look so smart. Most likely a super rich person who isn't feeling any pain at all, but who knows.
What were those idiotic "moments" people were buying for thousands, now their isnt even anyone on the site?

Just the start of it, and I will be buying when we see substantial drops!

Judging from a recent auction, almost all the cards I researched had been bought on ebay less than a year prior. Pretty silly move, but prices only go up right?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-06-2022, 01:40 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Flippers are in for a rough ride in coming months, I'm afraid.

Not shedding any tears for them, haha.
Old 11-06-2022, 02:00 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Isn't 86% of the hobby flippers just flipping/selling PSA cards to each other till they find a collector that will pay the new outrageous price?

Greater Fool theory in action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2022, 02:16 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfireschulte View Post
Just got a message from the winner of the ticket so it did indeed sell at that price last night.
Old 11-06-2022, 02:39 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Default Wilt 100 point stub

Last night a wilt 100 point stub psa 2 sold for 24k with juice. In August same Auction house sold a PSA auth. For over 85k.. and more than one 100 point stub changed hands over 60k last year A mighty big drop for a Monumental stub. A few Jordan All star / Slam dunk stubs have also taken a substantial downturn. So the ticket market seems to have lost momentum.
Old 11-13-2022, 05:47 PM
Hank Thomas

Cray-cray in all kinds of arenas hasn't been faring too well lately. Gives me hope for the future.

Last edited by Hankphenom; 11-13-2022 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2022, 04:55 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-15-2022, 06:05 AM
Bill Roberts

I dabble a bit in ticket stubs, specifically no-hitter stubs. I was under the impression that ones from Bob Lemon's no-hitter in 1948 was a toughie. One sold on eBay last night for a little less than $300, much less than I thought it would. Interested in hearing the thoughts of you who are smarter than me when it comes to tickets. Did I just have the Lemon ticket stub overvalued? I thought the buyer got a good deal, but maybe not?
Old 11-15-2022, 07:14 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I emphasize but it is hard to totally feel for the flippers.
It is their choice like any investment to buy and sell and part of that is hit it big and other times striking out. On the flip side some also make getting cards impossible because of the prices they drive up or because they set prices so high(their choice and right) on places like eBay that collectors cannot get them and they sit on them forever hoping someone will buy or the market will catch up to their prices

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-15-2022, 07:23 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Good take... I 'll never understand the anger toward collectors who approach the hobby ethically but different from vintage collectors. Odd to see anyone "enjoy" watching flippers lose money, or new hobbyists get discouraged because of a big decline in value of the ne, shiny stuff.

I'll bet most us started with our own "new, shiny stuff" when we first started collecting - eventually, we discovered how cool and interesting vintage can be.

Maybe we can ease up a little...