NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 12-07-2022, 06:51 AM

Default Judge re-signs with Yankees

9 years - 360 Million.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/stat...whdDRff9nUnGAA
Old 12-07-2022, 07:02 AM
pete ullman

im happy the yanks were able to sign judge...presumably the newest captain. Hopefully AJ can buck the odds and prove to be "worth" the long term money.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:46 AM

Thank God there won't be anymore delusional Giants fans thinking anyone wants to sign with their team.
Old 12-07-2022, 11:23 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
im happy the yanks were able to sign judge...presumably the newest captain. Hopefully AJ can buck the odds and prove to be "worth" the long term money.
+1 on all you say.

To me, it would have been like Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio or Mickey Mantle leaving the Yankees.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 12-07-2022, 12:34 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Now the Giants can pivot and pick up 2-3 guys instead of Judge plus supporting cast.

I'll take Correa, Nimmo, Manaea, & Senga. Then push for Ohtani next year.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 12-07-2022, 12:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Now the Giants can pivot and pick up 2-3 guys instead of Judge plus supporting cast.

I'll take Correa, Nimmo, Manaea, & Senga. Then push for Ohtani next year.
I agree with that, too much money for a guy so big and injury prone. Correa would be a great addition to that team.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-07-2022, 12:47 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Good news for the Giants.

30, injury prone, big man. 9 years @ $40,000,000 per. The odds that the Yankees win on this deal, from an on-field performance perspective, is very, very tiny.
Old 12-07-2022, 01:34 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Good news for the Giants.

30, injury prone, big man. 9 years @ $40,000,000 per. The odds that the Yankees win on this deal, from an on-field performance perspective, is very, very tiny.
They had to get Judge back; he's beloved in The Big Apple, like Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Munson, Mattingly and Jeter. Letting him go would be like letting one of them go. Really. The story on Twitter says Steinbrenner called him personally, not his agent, and that is how the deal got done. Judge left at least $40M more on the table to stay. He will most certainly be "The Captain" next year. So even if he does break down, in the end, he will still be beloved. Beloved means fans and merchandise and basically the key to the city. No other team could offer all that except money. And they're still The Yankees. I would bet they don't stop with Judge. They haven't won since '09. They already brought Tommy Kanhle back. Also beloved. Why do you think Rizzo came back? Steinbrenner finally shows flashes of his father. Cashman is a great GM. To say otherwise is just jealousy. Sign Rodon and Benintendi and they may finally de-throne the Astros, especially since winning this last WS they appear to be in a Marlins-like dismantle mode. Who knows.

Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 12-07-2022, 01:37 PM

I agree. There was just no way the Yankees could let him walk no matter the cost. The number 99 in pinstripes has become an iconic jersey and if Judge had left, who would be "the guy" after him? There isn't one and ever since Ruth there's always been "the Yankee" even during the lean times when it was Bobby Murcer or Ron Guidry.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I agree. There was just no way the Yankees could let him walk no matter the cost. The number 99 in pinstripes has become an iconic jersey and if Judge had left, who would be "the guy" after him? There isn't one and ever since Ruth there's always been "the Yankee" even during the lean times when it was Bobby Murcer or Ron Guidry.
And the minute he stops performing -- like in this year's playoffs -- those adoring fans will be booing him.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:05 PM

Well, can't avoid that in New York. But we'll still have the Judge's chambers.
Old 12-07-2022, 03:21 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
And the minute he stops performing -- like in this year's playoffs -- those adoring fans will be booing him.
Most certainly they will. It's New York. They expect, rightfully, that there should be a certain level of performance for that amount of compensation. Then they will pack the Stadium, standing and cheering, when number 99 is retired. He knows this. Harry Truman said it best, "If you can't stand the heat, get the Hell out of the kitchen." Looks like Judge can handle the heat, or he would have taken the 8 year/$400M deal the Padres swooped in with.

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 12-07-2022, 04:36 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
They had to get Judge back; he's beloved in The Big Apple, like Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Munson, Mattingly and Jeter. Letting him go would be like letting one of them go. Really. The story on Twitter says Steinbrenner called him personally, not his agent, and that is how the deal got done. Judge left at least $40M more on the table to stay. He will most certainly be "The Captain" next year. So even if he does break down, in the end, he will still be beloved. Beloved means fans and merchandise and basically the key to the city. No other team could offer all that except money. And they're still The Yankees. I would bet they don't stop with Judge. They haven't won since '09. They already brought Tommy Kanhle back. Also beloved. Why do you think Rizzo came back? Steinbrenner finally shows flashes of his father. Cashman is a great GM. To say otherwise is just jealousy. Sign Rodon and Benintendi and they may finally de-throne the Astros, especially since winning this last WS they appear to be in a Marlins-like dismantle mode. Who knows.
Hence my careful specification of “on field performance perspective”. After he sets the record, it makes them look bad if he leaves, so they coughed up.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:55 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Very big money and the Yankees will make money off of him. The big question is how Judge will perform in years 7 thru 9.
But looks like this is the Free Agent Market. Look at the Padres they picked up Bogaert and he is older than Judge and signed for 11 years and $280 million Dollars
and the Phillies got Turner for 11 years and $300 million

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 12-08-2022, 07:18 AM

I would hope the contract would pay for itself by that time in at least one championship and an all time Yankee finishing up his career before his number gets retired.

Jeter made 17 million in 2013 and only played 17 games. But I don't think fans were mad about it.
Old 12-09-2022, 06:09 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
I would hope the contract would pay for itself by that time in at least one championship and an all time Yankee finishing up his career before his number gets retired.

Jeter made 17 million in 2013 and only played 17 games. But I don't think fans were mad about it.
Agreed but if it is multiple years like Albert Pujols last 4 years of contract(except last year specifically last few months) were bad and people were complaining about that contract.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 12-09-2022, 07:05 AM
pete ullman

I can't think of 1 long term big money contract that has ever proven to be a "good move" for the yankees...ever. That being said...I can't think of any current player I'd rather see as the long term "face" of the yankees than Judge.

I agree that the yankees were damned if they signed him...damned if they let him go...so here we are.

1 championship will make this worthwhile!!!!
Old 12-09-2022, 07:06 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Agreed but if it is multiple years like Albert Pujols last 4 years of contract(except last year specifically last few months) were bad and people were complaining about that contract.
people will complain no matter what!!!!
Old 12-09-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I can't think of 1 long term big money contract that has ever proven to be a "good move" for the yankees...ever. That being said...I can't think of any current player I'd rather see as the long term "face" of the yankees than Judge.

I agree that the yankees were damned if they signed him...damned if they let him go...so here we are.

1 championship will make this worthwhile!!!!

The only one I can think of is the original mega deal the Yankees signed Arod to. He did win two MVPs as a Yankees and a championship.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:06 AM
Dave

Quote:
The only one I can think of is the original mega deal the Yankees signed Arod to. He did win two MVPs as a Yankees and a championship.
That was originally a Rangers contract. The contract/extension he signed with the Yankees was a complete bust. In hindsight, if the Yankees just let his Rangers contract run out and let him go, it would have been great for them.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 12-09-2022 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:09 AM
Dave

Yankees gave Mariano record setting amounts of money to stay the Yankees closer. You can argue how much short relievers are worth till the cows come home, but you can't argue that the Yankees didn't get what they expected out of him when they signed him.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:11 AM
Dave

If Judge can squeeze just 2 more seasons out of him similar to this last season, Yankees will have gotten their money's worth out of him, just from a marketing standpoint.

The rest is just legacy money.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:28 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
That was originally a Rangers contract. The contract/extension he signed with the Yankees was a complete bust. In hindsight, if the Yankees just let his Rangers contract run out and let him go, it would have been a great for them.
I hardly ever see mention of his other contract signed about the same time as the extension.
Apparently MLB doesn't allow bonuses for career milestones. Or at least didn't. Part of Arods contract was a second contract outside of baseball that gave him a decent sized piece of the pie for merch surrounding certain milestones like 600th and 700th Hr.

I thought that was sort of brilliant.
Old 12-10-2022, 01:57 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
people will complain no matter what!!!!
That is agreed
We know the Yankees with the merchandise, the Judges Chamber and him becoming the Captain will making their money off of him. Hopefully if they use the DH wisely to load management wisely he can still be productive on the later years.
He has a change to really cash in the marketing himself in NY as well as cement his legacy as a life long Yankee.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 12-10-2022, 02:32 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I hardly ever see mention of his other contract signed about the same time as the extension.
Apparently MLB doesn't allow bonuses for career milestones. Or at least didn't. Part of Arods contract was a second contract outside of baseball that gave him a decent sized piece of the pie for merch surrounding certain milestones like 600th and 700th Hr.

I thought that was sort of brilliant.
I think the Yankees fought really hard to throw that part of the contract out after the steroid bubble burst for A-Rod. Don't know if they succeeded or not but they did decide to just release him and eat the last 2+ years of the contract, rather then worry about haggling over the 700 HR + Ruth/Aaron/Bonds milestones.

Merchandising at that point wasn't going to be worth squat anyways.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 12-11-2022 at 12:52 PM.