NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-20-2015, 03:00 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Default Mastro sentenced

If anyone is looking to partner up with him to shill bid their own lots in the next Mastro auction you'll have to wait for 85% of 20 months. Sorry, fellas.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:06 PM

Restitution?
Old 08-20-2015, 03:08 PM
Banned

Let the mock outrage, hand-wringing and pontificating from the best and the brightest begin.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:15 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

No restitution. Bill and his painful urination will start serving his sentence in late November.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:18 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
No restitution. Bill and his painful urination will start serving his sentence in late November.
After Thanksgiving with his loving family?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:21 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
After Thanksgiving with his loving family?
And his priest -- not the one whose name he used to set up a shill bidding account.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:21 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

He'll go in Mint condition and come out authentic.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:23 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
And his priest -- not the one whose name he used to set up a shill bidding account.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lol...painful urination
Old 08-20-2015, 03:27 PM
Banned

If he's not careful he might get altered in his cell
Old 08-20-2015, 03:33 PM
Cha.rles He.nry

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
LOL...good one Chris; just noticed Wagner's new outfit
Old 08-20-2015, 03:40 PM

hopefully he has his soap on a rope....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg soap.jpg (16.4 KB, 882 views)
Old 08-20-2015, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
hopefully he has his soap on a rope....
If they have powdered soap he's screwed...literally
Old 08-20-2015, 03:50 PM
Eric
Eric

Default more puns

Not sure his "grade" will be the same at the beginning and end of his sentence
He may possibly get "altered" by a shank
Possible to get "slabbed" in solitary confinement for bad behavior
Not sure he wants to be sold to the highest bidder while incarcerated
Good behavior hopefully won't "trim" his sentence
Surely someone could "alter" his appearance in prison to make him grade out higher
And many more tacky puns

I still think they should lock him up and make him sort 5000 count boxes of 1988-1990 topps baseball into teams, 10 boxes a day, 7 days a week while listening to hour after hour of Harry Caray singing Take Me Out to the Ballgame. (Nothing against Harry Caray, but can you imagine listening to that hour after hour after hour)

Pretty sure he gives a you know what about what he did at this point.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:15 PM
qualitycards

Jeff, where will he be doing his time? & is it a minimum security place?
Old 08-20-2015, 04:18 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
My guess is that Jeff will answer yes,,, after all, Mastro has to have a place to improve on his tennis game.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-20-2015, 04:28 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I'm sure he'll be going to a camp walk-away style facility. He needs to go to a place where he cries and prays nightly. It shouldn't matter to me either way, but seeing the posts about people writing letters on his behalf makes me lose all respect for those people. Mastro and his minions have done more damage to this hobby then all the thieves at every show, house, or car you've ever had something stolen from. I would like to thank the people on the board that bring attention to the subject. I hope others in the future will possibly think twice before running a scam on collectors, but that is quite a bit to ask for.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:56 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Wow 20 months ehhh. Hopefully he doesn't drop the soap.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 08-20-2015, 05:06 PM
Banned

I heard the judge said he was only allowed a cutting board and exacto knife in his cell...just sayin

Last edited by JoeyFarino; 08-20-2015 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Info
Old 08-20-2015, 05:14 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
His victims almost certainly experienced painful defecation at some point.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:22 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
He'll probably be in a prison camp but it's still prison. And Marshall Fogel was there to support him as was Steve Grad. Jimmy Spence wrote his love letter to Mastro of course.

And Mastro still got off easy in my mind despite the fact that he immediately flipped and cooperated against his friends and co-conspirators.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Slightly less than two months until Allen (and Theotikos). October 14 unless I missed a subsequent docket entry.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-20-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:39 PM
Tom Boblitt

Tossed salad for everyone!
Old 08-20-2015, 06:14 PM
Kenny Cole

Well, I can't say I'm surprised, but I can say that I'm disappointed. Obviously, crime does pay, at least in certain circumstances.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:18 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
Not sure his "grade" will be the same at the beginning and end of his sentence
He may possibly get "altered" by a shank
Possible to get "slabbed" in solitary confinement for bad behavior
Not sure he wants to be sold to the highest bidder while incarcerated
Good behavior hopefully won't "trim" his sentence
Surely someone could "alter" his appearance in prison to make him grade out higher
And many more tacky puns

I still think they should lock him up and make him sort 5000 count boxes of 1988-1990 topps baseball into teams, 10 boxes a day, 7 days a week while listening to hour after hour of Harry Caray singing Take Me Out to the Ballgame. (Nothing against Harry Caray, but can you imagine listening to that hour after hour after hour)

Pretty sure he gives a you know what about what he did at this point.
I suppose he could be mounted and stuffed by the prison taxidermist.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:00 PM
Tom Boblitt

What's the over/under on Doug now, given the Bill news?
Old 08-20-2015, 07:04 PM
Bill T.

Quote:
"What are you in for?"
"Trimming baseball cards"
And they all moved away from him there on the Group W bench.
"And fraud"
and they all moved back.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Shrink, I want to shill.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
What's the over/under on Doug now, given the Bill news?
I think Dougie is looking at about 8 years. Hopefully for Doug, his lawyers will have learned from the mistakes Mastro's lawyers made with his sentencing submission. I mean hopefully for him, not the rest of the law-abiding world.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:30 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Since oj is away for stealing collectables maybe by chance they are cell mates??
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default The Code of Conduct

When it comes to business ethics and integrity, Mastro Auctions has operated ever since its inception under the premise that actions speak louder than words. We thought, perhaps naively, that that was enough. I have talked to a lot of customers over the last few months, both at the National Convention and through my travels, and have come to the conclusion that our customers, in fact, expect more.

As the hobby continues to evolve and new concerns plague our industry, the time to assume a proactive stance has arrived. To that end, Mastro Auctions is taking our unwritten code of professional conduct to the next level by enhancing the code and memorializing it in writing (see below). This act of leadership is not required by law or by the industry, but it represents the high standards of commitment and responsibility that Mastro Auctions has always embodied.

Since we just missed our deadline for the October Classic sale to make this announcement, this code will appear in and be in full effect for our December Premium Catalog sale. As always, we greatly value your support and assistance. By working proactively as a team, we can make a difference in the hobby we all enjoy today — and ensure that it is headed in the right direction for future enthusiasts.

Sincerely yours, Doug Allen
President & COO
Mastro Auctions

Mastro Auctions Code of Professional Conduct

1. Disclosure of Ownership

Mastro Auctions allows employees, authenticators, the Mastro Auctions corporate entity and other third party affiliates to own and consign items in Mastro Auctions’ sales. Mastro Auctions will disclose in its catalogs which items are owned by any of the aforementioned parties. PLEASE NOTE: The definition of ownership extends to spouses and immediate family members associated with the aforementioned groups.

2. Mastro Auctions Employee Bidding Rules

Certain Mastro Auctions employees are also collectors, and, similar to the practices followed by other major auction houses (e.g. Sotheby’s, Christies, etc.) are permitted to bid in Mastro Auctions sales. The following restrictions have been placed on the bidding practices of employee(s) to ensure fairness for all auction participants: · Mastro Auctions employees do not have access to ceiling or “top-all” bids. One designated administrative employee will have access to this information for the sole purpose of responding to bidding questions or for correcting bid errors. That designated individual will not be allowed to bid in the auction. · Mastro Auctions employees, the Mastro Auctions corporate entity, and all third party affiliates (authenticators, service providers, etc.) are considered related parties. These related parties are prohibited from bidding on each other’s consigned items. PLEASE NOTE: The definition of the Mastro Auctions “related parties” extends to family members.

3. Disclosure of Restoration

If Mastro Auctions believes or has knowledge that an item has been altered in any way, this information will be fully disclosed in the auction catalog. Occasionally, we will have items restored in order to improve their presentation quality. In these cases, the extent and nature of any restoration will be fully disclosed. Under no circumstances will we have restoration work done on trading cards.

4. Trading Card Guidelines

Mastro Auctions prohibits its employees from altering trading cards. Our policy on altering trading cards is in strict compliance with standards set by all major grading companies.

5. Use of Third Party Authenticators

Mastro Auctions is a company of experts. In almost all of the collecting genres handled by the company, there is an employee on staff who specializes in that area. As a result, before an item ever reaches a third party authenticator, it must first pass our scrutiny. Once an item that requires third party authentication has been accepted by Mastro Auctions, the following process will be employed: for each auction, the catalog will identify approved third party authenticating sources by category. We will not sell an item unless it has been authenticated by one of the listed third party authenticators.

6. Bidding Records

Effective for auctions held in 2007, all Mastro Auctions bidding records are maintained into perpetuity. These records are considered private and confidential. In order to maintain the privacy of our customers’ information, these records will not be voluntarily shared with any third parties.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:52 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
If anyone is looking to partner up with him to shill bid their own lots in the next Mastro auction you'll have to wait for 85% of 20 months. Sorry, fellas.
20 months? Seems pretty light considering the crimes he's committed, I guess turning on his cohorts did the trick.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:03 PM
Kenny Cole

Re: the Masto Code of Conduct

LOL. Q: so which of those statements are false? A: all of them? Q: Are those statements fraudulent, intended to deceive, full of half-truths at best, and wholly dishonest? A: Yes. That is my take.

Anyone who disagrees, please feel free to point out the part of that BS that you feel the principals of the company actually believed to be the truth when written. I don't see any.

I guess another letter will be in order here in a bit. Hopefully, there will be more who contribute letters this time. Step up or don't bitch.

Kenny

Last edited by Kenny Cole; 08-20-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

It doesn't get much better than the first lines introducing the Code, does it?

When it comes to business ethics and integrity, Mastro Auctions has operated ever since its inception under the premise that actions speak louder than words. We thought, perhaps naively, that that was enough. I have talked to a lot of customers over the last few months, both at the National Convention and through my travels, and have come to the conclusion that our customers, in fact, expect more.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-20-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:08 PM
Jeff Lowe

Crime doesn't pay . Crime costs ! I would love to read the judges ruling .
Old 08-20-2015, 08:08 PM

Here's the sad thing about the whole matter:

What will Mastro do after getting out? His career in any other field is toast and from what I have read, I do not exactly get the feeling he will learn from this experience. That said, my opinion is that when he gets out, he will revert to some similar line of behavior.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrompa View Post
Crime doesn't pay . Crime costs ! I would love to read the judges ruling .
Really? Mastro has millions in the bank that he "earned" by cheating his customers. He will be sent to Club Fed for under two years. He pays no restitution to any of the victims he stole from because there were too many to identify. His crime cost us, but it certainly didn't cost him too much.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:34 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
Really? Mastro has millions in the bank that he "earned" by cheating his customers. He will be sent to Club Fed for under two years. He pays no restitution to any of the victims he stole from because there were too many to identify. His crime cost us, but it certainly didn't cost him too much.
Agreed.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:38 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I'd happily do 17 months in a cushy min. security prison for a couple mil.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:41 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Andy Dufresne: "Get busy living, or get busy trimming."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg andy.jpg (19.0 KB, 539 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 08-20-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:58 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

He and Subway Jared can share a cell

Last edited by campyfan39; 08-20-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:32 PM
Jeff Lowe

If crime pays so well why doesn't everyone jump in that boat .
Old 08-20-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Are we talking about bankers now?
Old 08-20-2015, 09:40 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
He and Subway Jared can share a cell
Who would be the top and who would be the bottom?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-20-2015, 09:54 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Because most people are not smart enough to do it well, or to make enough money to make it worthwhile. Pretty simple.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:17 PM
Al

Jeff,
Im curious how much weight do you think the judge gave on the letters that were written against Mastro? Seems to me not so much. And for this crime what was the maximum sentence the judge could have given him? Like most I fell that this was very light, 17 months and yes millions in the bank most people work their whole lives and never see that kind of money seems like an easy stretch and walk away still rich. And people wonder why the justice system is the way it is. Last question why was there no restitution as it seems ever ordered? Was this his reward for throwing the others under the bus?

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 08-20-2015 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:25 PM
Jeff Lowe

I think the sentence is way too light also . That is why I said I would like to read the judges ruling . Is there a Civil case to follow up the Criminal ? He can be found guilty there also and forced to pay restitution . He has ruined his reputation and name in front of the whole world . How much money will it take to buy that back ? The penalty doesn't fit the crime for sure . What I am saying is should we all be like that for money ?
Old 08-20-2015, 10:47 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
I think the sentence is way too light also . That is why I said I would like to read the judges ruling . Is there a Civil case to follow up the Criminal ? He can be found guilty there also and forced to pay restitution . He has ruined his reputation and name in front of the whole world . How much money will it take to buy that back ? The penalty doesn't fit the crime for sure . What I am saying is should we all be like that for money ?
Maybe a fraud case. That is problematic though. Where I practice, and I think (but don't know) in most other states, fraud has a discovery rule. Here, it is 2 years from the date you knew or should have known that you were being cheated. That can get pretty complicated and ugly when the defendant says that you should have known you were getting screwed years before if you had just read the fine print. I'm gonna try two cases in the next couple of months where that is one of the big issues
Old 08-21-2015, 06:07 AM
Dan Marke1

So what's the status of Doug Allen?

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 08-21-2015, 06:11 AM

Is it possible that Mastro, Allen and Theotikos all end up in the same minimum security prison?

Last edited by Brian Van Horn; 08-21-2015 at 06:16 AM.