NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

View Poll Results: Are MLB's new rules getting a little ridiculous ?
Yes 8 61.54%
No 4 30.77%
No opinion 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2016, 05:58 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Default MLB and the new rules of the past couple years

Am I the only one that really despises the rules that have been created the past few years?

The shocking thing is that most fans (older than 40) love these new rules. They've been a fan of the game for the way it's been played forever. Why the need for instant replay????

It has always been under my assumption that umpires balls and strikes as well as most on the field calls have been swayed by the "marketable team" effect, or the teams that generate the revenue and make the most money will tend to get the most calls in their favor. Well so why wouldn't I like the instant replay? The problem is they're still getting the calls wrong the statistics have proven that. It slows down the game that, nowadays they claim is too slow and want to speed up!

Introduction of the pitch clock for a pitcher, the batter has to have a foot in the batters box! While these don't seem to have any impact on the game whatsoever what's the point?

Instant replay is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. We have our challenges now! Yayyyyyyyyyy. Was it a home run or wasn't it? What happened to the "human element" of the game? We might as well just eliminate umpires and integrate a computer to dictate everything on the jumbo screens in the park. Hey we have K-cam right? Splash it on the screen and get a ball strike counter behind the catcher so the pitcher can see it. We can splash the results of HR calls, fair foul on the big screen as well! That seems to be the route MLB is going.

Trying to go the NFL route are we? Where the catchers have been turned into Quarterbacks now with the protection of the god awful home plate rule. (Catchers still have it more rough on their body than any football player). One bad apple or San Francisco Buster Posey gets hurt so they create the Posey rule! What about Fosse whose career was basically derailed? If it didn't happen then why now? Protection of the player, yes, protection........ They signed the contract, they get paid the millions that Fosse didn't, oh, and that thing about medical conditions and advancements since then.

"Managers will no longer come out of the dugout to initiate a replay challenge. A manager will also keep his challenge after each call that is overturned. Last year, a challenge was retained only after the first overturned call." Keeping a challenge eh? Not coming out the dugout. No more sideshows the Sweet Lou Pinella way? No more Bobby Cox tantrums! No more Ozzie Guillen tantrums? I don't know about you guys but I loved seeing managers defend their players now they just get to sit in the dugout and be "Politically Correct". They all look like my favorite manager of all time Robin Ventura (ROBOT Ventura) and just sit in there like they have no care in the world! So you have to win a challenge to ask for another challenge. But isn't instant replay enforced to get the calls right? Then why if the umpires got the call right in the first place and it was challenged they didn't do you lose the right to challenge a call that could be incorrect? There certainly isn't anything idiotic about that.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%

Last edited by Joshchisox08; 03-14-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:54 AM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Not really sure it should be called the "Buster Posey" rule either. I mean, to call it the "Buster Posey" rule, it should have been passed in the offseason following the 2011 season. MLB didn't discuss it (or even recommend it for discussion) at that time.