NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-25-2005, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Default All this Stock and portfolio talk

Posted By: joe brennan

My head is spinning with the investors, the speculators, coins, comics, up market, leveling off. Heck, I thought I was collecting cardboard cause I liked the cards. Still cant find any of this in the Wall Street Journal. I come here to get away from all the money talk and my stocks and work, and the last 2 days thats all thats been talked about. Oh well. Maybe we can talk about cards again soon.

Moral Values " What would you do if no one was looking? Only you would know" Instilled in me by James W. Brennan Sr.

Old 08-25-2005, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

I'm still hoping the bottom falls out of the card market so that I can afford all the cards that I always wanted.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

I agree. In the past few days, there have been so many threads analyzing the investment potential for cards. It seems that the threads about specific sets and new purchases just go ignored.

There are a lot of new posters that we haven't seen post previously who enjoy participating in these investment discussions. I guess that is a good thing because this has encouraged many new participants. Still, it would be nice to see some card discussion in addition to the money talk.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: R. Cook

Jefferson Burdick must be rolling in his grave

Old 08-25-2005, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

At last, a thread I can appreciate! Yes, lets hope the bottom falls out of the vintage card market! I would like nothing better than to pick up my favorite cards - CHEAPER!!!!

It's hard to compare coins and comics to baseball cards because we know that Ty Cobb was one of the greatest batsman around but what did Batman do for us?We know that Babe Ruth could pitch and hit but could George Washington throw a silver dollar across the Potomac river for a strike?

People collect different things for different reasons. I collect baseball cards because I love baseball history not because I think the cards are going to be worth more than I paid for them years later.

Old 08-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I've had my fill and then some of worrying about money when it comes to cards. At times like this I am tempted to sell them off...but then I look at them and I'm hooked again.

Old 08-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

I agree with Adam.

ANYONE who is still holding on to ANY vintage card that they bought 2 or more years ago....

is ONLY holding the card because they love the card!!

Otherwise, there is no "logical" justification for not selling now and cashing in on the "investment gains."

Old 08-25-2005, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Amen to the too much inventment talk. Yes, everyone realizes there is a inventment component of our collection, but most of us here love our cards. We buy cards because we love them and want to further some goal other than expanding our bank account.

Just like the "Show me your..." threads got overused, so to are the threads talking about investment.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 08-25-2005, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

The reason I'm interested in value is not for the GROWTH of my bank account, but rather for the DECLINE of my bank account. It will cost me money to purchase what I want. So I am interested in value and possible future value so I can decide if I should buy now or wait. If I think prices are way too high, and they will come down, I will relax my aggressiveness and buy later. If I think prices are stable and aren't coming down, then I will remain aggressive and go after what I want now. That's why I care about values and money - to "further some goal" - and that goal is my collection, not the expansion of my bank account.

Old 08-25-2005, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Old 08-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike W

with that said CMOKING... What are everyone’s thoughts on the continued uprising of the Pre War card market? Do people honestly think it will "bottom out" or decline? Will people move on from the "caramel hype" to something else? ... Or should we get everything we can now before nothing is affordable? Are more and more people going to be willing to shell out thousands of dollars to seek out their want lists?

I too started collecting and still continue primarily for the love of baseball history. Will there be a time when I won't be able to afford these little pieces of it?

Old 08-25-2005, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I probably have less money to go out and buy cards than anyone other than Zach on this board. I don't worry a whole lot as to whether or not values go up or down because I am a collector, first and foremost. If they go up in value, great, but my world will not come spinning off its axis if values collapse. I care about the cards, not the money. Sounds like you need to refocus your priorities.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tobacco-r-us

AT LAST!