NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-14-2005, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Default Slightly O/T - Best 100 Hitters

Posted By: Mark

A new book by a statistician produced a list of the 100 all-time best hitters, with many surprising results. Many 19th Century players made his list, including non-HOFers such as Mike Tiernan. The author's methodolgy is intereting and probably more complex than what's been done in the past:

http://www.pupress.princeton.edu/chapters/s7932.pdf

(player ranking on second to last page)

Old 04-14-2005, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Lists like this are about as accurate as E!'s 'The 100 Most Hottest Blondes'. How can Harry Stovey make the list, Frank Thomas at #16 and Dick Allen in the thirties and can we really compare pre-war with post war with the roid rage era? Geez, I spent way too much time thinking about this as is, I need to go back to the Mastro page and look at all the things I finished like sixth and seventh in the bidding (probably) and won't win now or tommorow.

DJ

Old 04-14-2005, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Obviously you didn't bother to read this. This list is far more accurate than those silly E! or VH1 lists. This list was created from raw data and tried and true statistical analysis was used to derive this list. It isn't some guy's personal list of who he thinks is the 100 greatest hitters.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 04-14-2005, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

I did read it Jay, thanks for asking. I have an opinion (as you ALWAYS do) and thanks for telling me mine is incorrect.

DJ

Old 04-15-2005, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Mark, forgot to mention, seeing Tiernan isn't a surprise. Every time the SABR stats committee talks about 19c and Deadball players that deserve HOF consideration, Teirnan is always at the top of the list.

OJ collector, why would you think Stovey doesn't belong? Even before I joined SABR I knew who Stovey was and that he was considered of the best hitters of his day. He was also the first OJ I bought.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 04-15-2005, 01:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anonymousdave

...and Frank Howard...better hitters than Clemente ??

not on my planet.

Old 04-15-2005, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Im a huge Clemente fan,a Pirates fan since i was old enough to root for a team and altho the list is a bit off i could see how they rank Howard or Powell ahead of Clemente.First off its just based on hitting and both of those guys have higher combined on base % and slugging % than Clemente eventho he hit for a much higher average.They also had a better RBI per AB average than him. All 3 of them struck out alot so based solely on that you could say its not far fetched to rate them as high or slightly higher.

If defense and speed is factored is then you wouldnt even see Powell and Howard on the list and Clemente would be ranked higher but its not so im not going to argue

Old 04-15-2005, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

These writers try to "normalize" each year to an average and then compare a player to that normalized average.

One thing that does is help the players of the 1960's who suffered through the second dead ball era versus the hot shots of the 20's-30's who played during an time when scoring was much higher.

Is it right? Is it wrong? I don't know -- but that as a general principle is how these stat type of books are done

Rich

Old 04-15-2005, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Jack Fournier???? Something is wrong with his methodology.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

These lists are always a source of much opinion and fruitless debate. Although we all recognize this, it is still difficult to not put your two cents in.

I will now fall into the temptation:

While arguement can be made for inclusion of hitters listed 1-5 in a top ten list, there is no apparent justification for grading Mantle above either Cobb or Foxx.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Come on, Elliot. Are you mad it's not "Jacques Fournier" and he's not from Moose Jaw?

Not HOF caliber by any stretch of the imagination, but Fournier was a pretty good player. Besides, would you argue with the "Big Train?"

"I don't believe I ever pitched to a player who took more liberties with my stuff than Jack Fournier...Fournier was the original tough baby for me." - Walter Johnson in Reach Guide (1924)

Old 04-15-2005, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Tylicki

ICHIRO! I'm not a big fan of modern baseball but this guy is amazing.

Old 04-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Old 04-15-2005, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: agnosticdave

You are incorrect. Clemente had a higher lifetime slugging pct. than Powell and had a higher OBP than Howard.

Now take a look at the Park/League adjusted numbers and Clemente blows them both out of the water in AVG. SLG. and OBP. He also had far better post-season stats than either.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Kevin, Since you seem to know so much about Fournier, I'm surprised that you didn't know that his real name was Jean-Francois Fournier (anglicized to John Frank) and he was actually Canadian. He was born in AuSable MI as his parents were visiting from Quebec. AuSable had quite a large Quebecois population, similiar to areas of Louisiana.

Notwithstanding his Canadian link, he certainly was a curious selection to the top 100 batters list, given his run of the mill numbers during a time when most batting statistics were inflated.

Also, I'm surprised by Johnson's comment as Fournier only played 3 real years in the AL, with all of 15 HR's, the last one in 1916, 8 years before Johnson was quoted.

Old 04-16-2005, 05:33 AM
Administrator

Now you've hurt my feelings.

You should know after all these years I generally do my research. There was a reason for my Jacques crack. It's right there on the back of my T207 of him:

Despite what some Reach Guide spin-meister may have done with Walter Johnson's supposed quote, Fournier is ranked in the top 100 lifetime of several batting categories and I do think he was a good player or I wouldn't have a card of him:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/f/fournja01.shtml

Old 04-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Kevin, I didn't know that you collected trimmed cards.

Old 04-16-2005, 05:49 PM
Administrator

With the way prices are going these days, trimmed cards are about all I can afford!

Old 04-17-2005, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

?