NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-13-2021, 07:11 PM
Matthew

Default Red Cobb destroyed by FedEx

So here’s a terrible lesson in how to pack your cards. I recently won a very nice PSA 3 Red Cobb off eBay. The seller shipped the card to me via FedEx. I just now received it and I noticed the box had been through some damage. Hoping for the best (I have never had a card get damaged in transit) I took some pictures and proceeded to open the box. The seller had packed the smaller box tight with packing paper but no other protection. The damage propagated to the card itself, cracking the case length wise and severely creasing the Cobb. I am confident I will get my money back but this is a lesson for all. Pack carefully! This wonderful piece of the hobby largely survived intact for more than a century with very little protection. A terrible combination of the slab, a bad packing job, and shippers who could care less have ruined this piece of history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2021, 07:32 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

So sorry that happened Mathew, Fedex ground?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-13-2021, 07:33 PM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
So sorry that happened Mathew, Fedex ground?

Yup.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:37 PM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusJReilly View Post
a bad packing job
The slab was wrapped in packing paper, inside a small box, inside a larger box? Some SERIOUS force had to be applied to get the PSA slab to fold like that, not sure I'd call that a bad packing job. I usually send/receive slabs in just a bubble mailer, and the worst experience was a chipped corner.

Based on the info provided, I put this solely on the shipping company (FedEx). Sorry to hear what happened, hope you get your money back, good luck!
Old 08-13-2021, 07:42 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Yup.

Just FYI to the board, Fedex ground are all contract 1099 drivers and have little to no oversite on their behavior. If shipping something like Mathews card FedEx Express is the bare minimum. I wish you the best getting compensated.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-13-2021, 08:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That's heartbreaking...
Old 08-13-2021, 08:05 PM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
That's heartbreaking...

Exactly how I feel. Beautiful piece of history delivered in a damn tobacco package survives a century to go down like this. Awful!

Also, I was a little unclear about the packaging. The card was only in one smaller box. Inside the box the card was wrapped in tissue paper, so much tissue paper that it was packed tight. No Russian doll configuration, no cardboard sandwich, just tons of tissue paper inside a single box. WTF!!!

Old 08-13-2021, 08:08 PM
Andrew Mc.Gann

Sorry to hear this. I feel your pain. This is what arrived in my mailbox a few years ago. Look at the centering and color on that card. Ughhh. Still bums me out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lopchick.jpg (75.2 KB, 790 views)
Old 08-13-2021, 08:12 PM
Tom Re.bert

Default FedEx Insurance Maximum Liability?

The card will show delivered per the tracking number.

is any refund at the sellers discretion to issue you a refund since the card was delivered in good faith but damaged in transit --or will the seller and eBay have you file a insurance claim --also is it true FedEx maximum liability in fine print is capped at $1,000?

Another reason to have a private insurance carrier in the event of rejection by the transit carrier or eBay declining to issue any refund--

A real shame the card looked to be a strong PSA-3

Last edited by Directly; 08-13-2021 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:27 PM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

That is sad and infuriating!

I Second the private insurance idea!

I live in what most of you would consider “the hills”,and I rarely have good experiences with Fedex ground. Maybe 20% of the time.

Thomas Church
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 08-13-2021, 08:34 PM
Brian Clatfelter

So sad to see that. Such a shame. Best of luck getting your money back. This situation is why I hold my breath until the cards arrive safe and sound. I can’t believe the lack of packaging on something as precious as this.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:47 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

You cannot count on the box for support. When I have to ship a valuable slab I swaddle it in a bunch of layers of bubble wrap, thick so that if I drop it there will be no damage. Then I box it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-13-2021, 09:22 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I would NEVER use FedEx for anything worth more than $1K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post

is any refund at the sellers discretion to issue you a refund since the card was delivered in good faith but damaged in transit --or will the seller and eBay have you file a insurance claim --also is it true FedEx maximum liability in fine print is capped at $1,000?

Another reason to have a private insurance carrier in the event of rejection by the transit carrier or eBay declining to issue any refund--

Yes. FEDEX will only pay out a maximum of $1K regardless of how much of your money they take for a larger insured amount - imo - is flat out theft - which also happened to me with FedEx!

So sorry this happened. While it sounds like it could have been packed a little better - from the look of that card - not sure it could have been packed well enough - did they run it over with a FedEx truck!?

Please follow up on the insurance outcome, I suspect the seller is going to eat any $$ over $1K.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:34 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
...seller had packed the smaller box tight with packing paper...
Packaged with a smaller box inside a larger box, correct?

What material was in the larger box, keeping the smaller one from moving around?

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 08-13-2021, 09:39 PM
Matthew

Default Red Cobb destroyed by FedEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Packaged with a smaller box inside a larger box, correct?

What material was in the larger box, keeping the smaller one from moving around?

No, I didn’t write that clear enough. There was only one box and it was relatively small (think 4x4x7). Inside of this box was the card wrapped in tissue paper. That’s it.

Last edited by IgnatiusJReilly; 08-13-2021 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:49 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
No, I didn’t write that clear enough. There was only one box and it was relatively small (think 4x4x7). Inside of this box was the card wrapped in tissue paper. That’s it.

Thanks for clarifying.

Holy crap, that's a lousy way to package a valuable card for transit. I take more care when sending things worth far less.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 08-13-2021, 09:50 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

The graded cards that I purchase usually have bubble wrap around the slab, and are sandwiched between two hard cardboard pieces. This method has never caused me any issues - either as a buyer or seller.

That damage is extensive. There was significant force. The force may have even damaged a card packaged in the method I described, which I find sufficient. It’s not reasonable for a seller to package an item in such a way that it would survive a forklift driving over it or a pallet falling on it.

I wasn’t there and haven’t seen the packaging so don’t know if the seller should’ve done more. Terrible situation.
Old 08-14-2021, 05:47 AM
Todd
Todd Ev@ns

Sorry to hear about this. If you look at the sellers feedback he already had a negative about the way he ships his cards. Hopefully, this one is an expensive lesson for him.

Old 08-14-2021, 06:45 AM
Tom Re.bert

If the seller is 92 years of age, maybe he thought the packaging was satisfactory, no excuse but reality.
I am not sure if this would be a "not as described return open case". If you were the seller would you ask eBay to step in for a fair resolution. Who bears the most fault, the packaging or the carrier. The worst situation the carrier was FedEx with their limited liability clause. If the seller would offer a 50 percent refund upon receipt of the card is that a fair resolution?

A unfortunate scenario for both the seller and buyer.

Probably best way to ship higher prices items is USPS Registered , at least can insure items up to $50,000. If you don't have a private insurance carrier for your cards at least a $25.000 policy look into it!

Last edited by Directly; 08-14-2021 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:01 AM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Sadness

That great Cobb and then the Sport Kings basketball both made me sad and kind of angry. Both cards are still highly collectible but their monetary values of course and eye appeal are drastically reduced. It is possible that on removal from those destroyed slabs the cards may not look “too” bad when flattened back out .. but a sadness nonetheless. I sold a near mint 1959 Bazooka Mantle in an auction back in 1985 or so… shipped insured in very thick cardboard and the PO crunched one corner despite the bold red PHOTOS DO NOT BEND all over the mailer. The buyer sent the whole shebang back to me and I of course refunded his money ($250 as I recall). I put the card in a screw down to minimize the corner creasing and its still in there today…. Guess it’s time to get it out now LOL but I’m glad I still have it anyhow!
Old 08-14-2021, 07:23 AM
Robert Williams

I wrap slabs in a long sheet of bubble wrap two and three times over. The only time a guy claimed it was damaged was when I suspected he cracked it out of the slab on purpose in order to sell it raw and wanted a refund.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:23 AM
Larry P.

I would use USPS registered insured for anything this valuable, box in box, extra peanuts or bubble wrap.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:31 AM
Eric Perry

Some supply company (such as the one that produces Pelican cases) should make a high-end graded card mailer.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 08-14-2021, 08:00 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Hi

I agree with all the above. Sorry for your loss and the loss of history.
It is a good reminder to all to take extra care with the packaging.
Just not sure how it happened to know if it is was truly preventable

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-14-2021, 09:05 AM
Wayne V

Default Private insurance

Quote:

It is so sad to see 2 beautiful cards destroyed like that. It is just terrible.
I'm not familiar with the private insurance for a mailed item. Could you elaborate ? Thanks.

Last edited by cannonballsun; 08-14-2021 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Addition to message
Old 08-14-2021, 11:20 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:

Most likely, eBay will fully compensate the buyer via refund (for item received damaged). Conversely, the seller will have to duke it out with FedEx.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:36 AM
Tom Re.bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonballsun View Post
It is so sad to see 2 beautiful cards destroyed like that. It is just terrible.
I'm not familiar with the private insurance for a mailed item. Could you elaborate ? Thanks.
I suppose collectable's type insurance policies may vary the policy I have covers my sport cards for loss. I sold a card on eBay USPS Priority insured which was either lost or stolen, in any event the buyer claimed the card was missing. USPS denied my claim.

I filed a claim with all the appropriate paperwork and within 12 days I was reimbursed.--I now only ship higher dollar items USPS registered mail.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:04 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

These kind of things can haunt a collector for ages. If you can, don't let it.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:10 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

The title of this thread should have a graphic content warning. Kills me every time I see what was done to that beautiful Cobb!
Old 08-14-2021, 01:51 PM
Wayne V

Quote:
I suppose collectable's type insurance policies may vary the policy I have covers my sport cards for loss. I sold a card on eBay USPS Priority insured which was either lost or stolen, in any event the buyer claimed the card was missing. USPS denied my claim.

I filed a claim with all the appropriate paperwork and within 12 days I was reimbursed.--I now only ship higher dollar items USPS registered mail.
Thanks for the info
Old 08-14-2021, 02:35 PM
Matthew

I appreciate the commiseration. I’m super sad about it as I’ve hunted for a few months now to find my first Cobb.

The seller has accepted my return and I will get a full refund. I sent him all of the photos I had as well as all of his original packing materials. I removed the Cobb from the cracked slab (after asking him if he wanted me to do so) and put it in a card saver 1 sandwiched between thick pieces of cardboard. It should get back to him safely. I hope he gets some compensation from FedEx but please everyone take this as a lesson in packaging and risk.

Old 08-14-2021, 02:58 PM
Randy

duplicate

Last edited by RL; 08-14-2021 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-14-2021, 03:42 PM
GaryPassamonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
You cannot count on the box for support. When I have to ship a valuable slab I swaddle it in a bunch of layers of bubble wrap, thick so that if I drop it there will be no damage. Then I box it.
Adam has the right idea. The owner is obligated to package an item as if it will be dropped, crushed, etc. Writing things like "Fragile" or "Do Not Bend" is useless. When a package is mailed it is containerized with other packages of all sizes and weights. The container is then dumped/unloaded/turned upside down mechanically for processing. It is not handled gently by human hands like it used to be in days past. I'm actually surprised more packages aren't damaged severely.
Old 08-14-2021, 03:55 PM

When dealing with courier companies, do not use as small a box as OP has described. Per someone who owns a local UPS Store, smaller packages are far more likely to get lost, or "lost", or incur damage. Of note is that the price to ship it using lots of bubble wrap and a larger box will be pretty much the same, as weight is a stronger consideration than package size (within reason).
Old 08-14-2021, 07:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The only time I ever had a problem was a PSA card cracked in the mailer. The buyer sent it back and the original package had tire tracks(!) on it.

Funny thing was, the former PSA 7 now raw card with a single crease sold for more raw than it had in the holder.

The Priority Mail flat rate boxes are a beautiful thing. The medium square one (12 x 12 x 6) is perfect for a well swaddled card. That won't get wrecked unless it is run over.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-14-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:41 PM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

I am very saddened to see this. Oy…painful stuff.
Old 08-14-2021, 09:02 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Some supply company (such as the one that produces Pelican cases) should make a high-end graded card mailer.
The handful of items I sold that were both fragile and expensive went out in handmade crates I built to fit inside a flat rate box.
Strong enough I could stand on them.

When worked in industrial stuff I regularly shipped boxes about the size of a large flat rate that were in the 50lb range. I usually try to pack as if one or more of my old packages will be on top of the one I'm sending out.

I'm more lax on my usual stuff which is mostly well under $50
Old 08-14-2021, 09:39 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Just saw this one on ebay:

The listing says it was damaged by USPS.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40307034717...EAAOSwvwphFxJp

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 08-14-2021, 09:54 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Personally, I've had two instances where cards I bought on ebay have arrived damaged. One was a PSA 4 T206 Southern Leaguer with damage very similar to the Cobb in the OP, except that the slab was broken in half horizontally, putting a crease across the middle of the card. I contacted the seller, and he refunded my money to me, and I returned the card to him.

The other was a 1933 Sport Kings Red Grange PSA 2. With it, we were extremely lucky, as even though the slab was broken apart diagonally in the lower-right, across the card itself, the card somehow suffered no further damage. I submitted it to PSA for regrading, and it got the same grade, and I still have it.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 08-15-2021, 12:13 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Good thing I didn't see this thread after eating a meal!

I'm so sorry this happened to you.
Old 08-15-2021, 06:52 AM

When is Otter Box Authentication going to be a thing?
Old 08-15-2021, 07:21 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
Just saw this one on ebay:

The listing says it was damaged by USPS.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40307034717...EAAOSwvwphFxJp

Steve

Wow. Awful to see. My last USPS baseball shipment came completely destroyed and with no contents. Not sure which is worse.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:33 AM

The Mays is already at an ironic $660 with 8 days to go. How much are two halves of a RC worth?