NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-20-2005, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Default my entire collection was stolen.

Posted By: john/z28jd

Ben i too am real sorry to hear about this and ill keep an eye out for any of the items.Its good you have scans of most to compare them to if they show up.I couldnt imagine this happening to me,id be a wreck.

If anyone has an expensive collection at home they should tape their premises.My dad actually has his house being taped from 2 different locations so even if someone broke in and noticed they were being taped,they would still have to break into a different house on the property and by that time the alarm company wouldve sent someone already.

Of course my dad taped because he lives at the end of a dead end road with a long driveway and people pass the private driveway signs constantly,so he wanted to see who comes down to the house.Has nothing to do with the cards but i feel safer.

Having a rottweiler(and 3 other dogs) helps too,especially since he thinks my room is his room,and he doesnt like visitors.Hopefully you will get everything back and be able to take one of these precautions so this never happens again.Good luck Ben

Old 02-20-2005, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I think donations are in order. Each member who choses (strictly voluntary of course, no peer pressure allowed) can donate an item to Ben. I'm sure Julie has his address, so even if Ben refuses to accept presents that's his tough noogies.

Old 02-20-2005, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Ben -

Saw this thread just now. My jaw dropped when I saw the title sitting at the top of the index page and I was cringing the entire time I was reading through what had happened to you.

You were probably the first friend I made in this community and most of the cards you listed that were stolen were cards I remember you telling me about as you acquired them over the past year and a half or so. I'm so sorry to hear that the collection you worked so hard to put together for so long has been taken from you like this.

Like others have suggested, I would make sure the police get a full report of what happened and dust for finger prints as well. I would also contact anyone in your area, card shops, pawn shops or otherwise who might be a potential "candidate" for this guy to resell the cards to.

Hope you try to remain positive as there's hope still that you'll get your collection back. Many of your cards are quite distinguishable either by rarity or by condition so hopefully they won't be hard to spot should they turn up online.

Ben, again, I'm truly sorry this happened to you and will be first in line to donate cards to you if a collection is taken up. Take care, buddy.

Brian

Old 02-20-2005, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

I agree with David.
I would be happy to donate to Ben's rebuilding when he's ready.
robert a

Old 02-20-2005, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

especially since very recently, some people found there way there who had no business there.

HEY--actually, you should send anything for Ben to me. Otherwise, your cards will get coviscated, or Ben will have to pay the huge tarriff on them.
<br />

This applies to everyone but Canadians; I guess they'd better wait for Bens permission., It might take 3 days; he has a (very welcome!) guest

IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME, ASK BEN!

Old 02-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

I am game for a donation as well, please contact me, Dan.

Old 02-20-2005, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Julie, it would probably be wise for you to delete your address. When things are in order, folks can email you for Ben's address or what other arrangements are made.

Old 02-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Administrator

I have ben Ben's "designated sender" for about half a year.

Old 02-20-2005, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trae R.

Holy cow - I am shocked Ben... but not near as much as you. I can't imagine how you feel right now. Very very sorry to hear of this news.Good luck on this one, man - keep us updated!

Old 02-21-2005, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Major bummer. I've been there. I had most of the what remained of my collection in 1991 stolen. It included a lot fo very unique and distincitve cards. I got a good portion of them back, but still never back such cards as a NM n162 Ason, NM/Mint Colgan Cobb, e105 Lajoie and Young and about 20 other cards I have forgotten about. The Cobb Colgan is very distictive in the it has a print line on the front that does not affect the face but is still the finest condition Colgan, less that line, I've ever seen.

With the internet, if should be much easier to to get you cards back. Having scans of your cards is a good thing. Lee used to think I was crazy for taking photos of my valuable cards, but when this theft happen, I was able to prove what cards were mine.

The thief in my case was my girlfriend's best friend's boyfriend. Apparently he knew that I was going setting up at a show that weekend and also knew that I was taking my GF to dinner Friday night, which is when he broke in. He only took my cards. He left the computers, video games, power tools, etc. We caught him when showed up a card store I told about the robbery trying to sell the Ryan rookie I had signed by both Ryan and Koosman among other cards.

Just make sure to spread the word to local card shops and pawn shops ASAP.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 02-21-2005, 12:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Koyama

Hopefully they can get some finger prints from the box you stored the cards in. I know in California, pawn shops are required to get a thumb print, along with other identification, when people bring things in to pawn.
Violated is a good term to use. That's what my parents felt like after my dad had his antique Japanese sword collection stolen.

Old 02-21-2005, 01:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

No question, inside job.
Alerting all possible connections is a must.
Your list and your card scan site is a very helpful plus to everyone in this community.
It will be easy to compare with anything that pops up anywhere.

To err is human, to make a mistake on the other hand, can be costly.

If the person that err'd is reading this, and if you find the odds becoming unfavorable.
I'm sure that Ben, with no questions asked, will accept the cards that were left by someone else, gracefully and appreciatively.
No one else needs to know.
There are various ways to achieve this.
Time is of the essence.

Ben, the thoughts and best wishes of the community is with you.
Joe P.

Old 02-21-2005, 02:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Ben,

I am sorry to hear of your loss. I don't know what the thief was thinking but many of the cards on your list are readily identifiable and will eventually turn up...leaving a trial that can be traced back to the perpetrator. If the person who stole your collection is reading this (and he just might be), surely he must know that eventually he will be caught and prosecuted.

Old 02-21-2005, 03:48 AM
Administrator

If even a small bunch of you start sending cards directlky to Ben, and filling out customs' forms accurately, Ben will be $1000 in the hole before you can say Jack Robinson.

If even a small bunch of you start sending cards directly to Ben without knowing how to declare the cards fairtly accurately without declaring their value, your cards will either be comviscated by customs or sent back to you.

Ask Quan! Or, PLEASE--ask Ben.

Old 02-21-2005, 04:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike McGrail

Ben,

When I first saw the post with your name beside it, I thought it was a joke or something. Disgusting, terrible and sickening all rolled into one. I really feel for ya friend.

Try to stay calm and determine your course of action. Some good tips from board members above. Try to incorporate as many possible different methods into your action plan. The more folks who can help, the better. And until proven otherwise, anyone who knew about your cards, your address, your plans, etc. is a SUSPECT. Rule no one out.

You gotta do your best to stay calm in this situation. A clear head and thought process is your best ally at the moment.

Drop me an email if there is anyway I can help.

Mike

Old 02-21-2005, 04:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Horrible, Ben, I am so sorry.

Do not expect dealers and shop owners to help you. When it happened to me I rode around flyering every store I could think of and the bastards still bought the stolen cards and tried to resell them. I found cards in a number of shops and had to buy them back (at wholesale) to avoid putting the matter through the system. Reflecting back on it now, I wish I'd put every damned dealer involved into jail for fencing stolen goods, because they all knew the cards were stolen. My advice is to print up that list you posted and get it into the hands of as many dealers, pawn shops, antique dealers and thrift stores as possible, and do not be bashful about it; put right in the flyer that you will be checking their inventories and if you find the cards there you will prosecute.

BTW, it sounds like an inside job. I would look at tradesmen and servants (esp, maids, supers and handymen). When I last lived in an apartment I know for a fact that the super used to come into apartments working on a problem and while there would snoop through personal stuff.

Old 02-21-2005, 04:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Ben,

It really sickens me to hear your story. I bought the E254 Wagner from you this past year and you were great to deal with. You are also always a positve force on this board.

Outside of the financial investment, my cards have so much meaning to me. Many are gifts from my wife, parents, and in some cases my grandparents who are no longer with me. I can identify 95% of my collection that way (by who gave them to me). To lose them would be devastating on so many levels. That is why I decided a few years back to rent a a couple safety deposit boxes. It is hard because the quick access to your cards is not there....but I know they are safer there than in my house.

I have the list that you posted and will watch auctions/dealer pages. It is good that you had them all documented on the web page, that will be helpful for us and the police. Try to remain positive, from the response to this thread it looks as if a lot of people are looking out for you. Take care,

John

Old 02-21-2005, 05:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Ben,

I am so sorry. A collection is not replacable. I am sure that each one you get back will be a treasure. Good luck.

Gil

Old 02-21-2005, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

First off, I want to thank everyone who has posted here or emailed me privately. The support you all have given me is truly overwhelming, and very touching. Whether or not my collection is recovered, I will always remain thankful for what I do have...and all of you are a big part of that.

I filed a police report last night. The policeman dropped by my tiny apartment for approx. 10 minutes, and took down all the details of the case. I was away for about a week, btw. He took the containers where I kept my cards to scan for fingerprings - don't know how much help that will be, but there's some hope there I suppose.

And about the donations idea - I am touched, but really, it's not necessary. If the cards are not recovered, I think that will be the fatal blow to my collecting aspirations. I just don't see how I could start over again after the time and money I've invested in it already. Of course, I will still frequent this board, as I've made lasting friendships here that extend beyond the collecting world.

Now, I have printed out lists of all my cards, along with several distinguishing pictures, and will begin passing them out to pawn/card shops all day today. I have recieved a number of very helpful emails from people who visit this board. Special thanks to Mark Macrae and Brian Wentz whose emails have given me some hope that the cards might be recovered. Once again, thank you all for your support during these hard times.

Old 02-21-2005, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean Coe

This happened to me a few years ago. The thief took several valuable cards and my then fiances engagement ring. I had some plumbing work done and some of the workers had cased my place. If you had anyone in repairing something I'd start there. Also-be clear to the police how valuable your collection is. The ones investigating my case seem to have had little interest until they knew the value of some of the items stolen. Good luck.

Old 02-21-2005, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Griggs

Ben, I'm also very sorry & disturbed about what happened. Just as disturbing to me is your "fatal blow" comment. I'm pretty sure you love this stuff as much as I do, & I couldn't imagine not collecting anymore. I'm fairly new to this board, but I'd donate too. I'll bookmark your website, and keep an eye out for your stuff.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

This story should be a cautionary tale for everyone here--it can happen and if you have no insurance, you are both out your cards and SOL financially. While I would hurt like hell if my collection was stolen, I would also recoup the financial end of the loss from insurance and would have the resources to start again. It is s ahame to see a hobbyist we all appreciate think of dropping out because the loss is too much to bear. There are some insurers in the links--the rates I've received have been very reasonable (under $1 a day)--I'd urge you to check it out.

I'm just glad all the good stuff is in the safe deposit box.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Tylicki

Ben,

I just read your post. I'm so sorry this has happened. After our telephone conversation the other day I know how much these cards meant to you. Feel free to give me a call if you need a friend.

Mark
(303) 359-7191 cell

Old 02-21-2005, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I wouldn't worry too much about Ben's "fatal blow" comment. He's in a tough place right now. Even if he never gets his cards back and does quit the hobby, he'll be back. The addiction is worse than heroin. I though I had left the hobby behind for good, never to return, but 10 years later, here I was, right back in the thick of things. Taking some time off from the hobby would be understandbale, but it will really difficult to just walk away from it forever, especially as young as he is. I was 29 when I got out and was back in at 39.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric Eichelkraut

Hello Ben,

I just learned of this post about ten minutes ago, and I'm shocked and very troubled to hear about this tragic event. I'm sure it's been mentioned here already, but please make sure that you hound the police to investigate every aspect of the crime thoroughly and immediately. Even hire a private detective if needs be. A collection of this magnitute doesn't just dissappear without trace..and hopefully only one small clue will be needed to track it down. I'll email you shortly after this, but please let me know if I can assist in any way.

Truly,

Eric Eichelkraut

Old 02-21-2005, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Thomas Botticelli

Hi Ben,

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I didn't get a chance to get back in touch with you about our trade because of work and school, but I am very sorry for your loss. I stopped collecting for a while last year becasue of school and time constraints, and I felt lossed. I can't imagine not collecting Vintage Baseball Cards, and I know you feel the same. By the way, the generosity of this board is amazing. I would gladly throw in a T206 Chase Lenox to help you get back on your feet. Please let me know, this hobby needs people like you who truly appreciate collecting.

All my best,

Tom Botticelli

Old 02-21-2005, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Ben, I just now saw your post on the Forum 54 board here. It does little good to express my sympathies with your situation but I am very sorry for your loss. having experienced the loss of 20 E98 cards a few months ago (even though insured), I know there is no way to replace the loss. Still, if you do make it to Chicago for the National, I'd like to make a present to you of a card you like because of the kindness you have always shown to me as a collector, even though we've never even met.
As a side note to what Adam wrote, I am today contacting my insurance agent for a binder for collectibles and renting a safe deposit box for the more valuable stuff. Somehow even my safe doesn't seem so secure anymore. What a world we live in.
Also, don't give up on the possibility that fingerprints can be found on the box. Most thieves and burglars do not use gloves and in a case I had a couple of years ago, an expert witness testified in court that pursuant to FBI training he had been able to secure prints off an envelope that was 75 years old.
Good luck buddy and hope to see you in Chicago.
Bob

Old 02-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Ben, I was so sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully, with the combined resources of your fellow collectors now on the lookout, plus law enforcment, you will recover your collection. If it hasn't already been mentioned, you should notify SCD. They would certainly run a blurb on your behalf. The more folks that know about this, the better your chances.

Old 02-21-2005, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren J. Duet

Ben,
I urge you to remain dispassionate when attempting to come up with who might of stolen your cards. Thinking clearly is of upmost importance if you are to find the perpetrator--it sounds like the theif was close to you.

Old 02-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary B.

Ben, for what it's worth, please let me add in my condolences for what happened. Since I'm on sabbatical from collecting, I very infrequently check in on Net54, so it's ironic that i should check in today and find such sad and crushing information. I'll keep checking in for the next period of time to see if there are any new developments. I am hopeful that your collection will be recovered, since you a) have a lot of high profile cards and b) the people on this board would be highly likely to see them if they come across any of the usual channels, and if the thief is even remotely interested in getting any value from them, they'd be hard pressed not to try and sell them through the usual channels. I'm praying for a positive outcome.

Sincerely,
Gary

Old 02-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

If it hasn't been mentioned already, you may want to notify the slabbing companies about the combination of cards you lost, so they may be able to detect a matching group. A holder may be thought of as a partial disguise for your cards, by the thief.

Old 02-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

Ben,

Just terrible news. I'm very sorry. I'll be happy to donate my T206 Chance portrait whenever you come back to the hobby. In addition to all the other helpful comments posted here, I would add the mail carrier and other parcel delivery folks to the list of suspects. And while it is probably only the slightest consolation, it is worth pointing out that the particulars of the robbery suggest that the thief is someone who has at least a reasonably good knowledge of the hobby, so that the cards will be protected and when they do start turning up they are likely to be in much the same condition as when you last saw them. I wish you all the luck in the world hunting down the thief and your collection.

Glenn

Old 02-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: qualitycards

BEN - Thats such horrible news. A collection is the advent of passion & pride and cannot be replaced as easy as a TV or stereo. I hope you recover everything and the bastards responsible do jail time...jay

Old 02-21-2005, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

Ben-
Very sorry to hear of the theft your collection. I have to agree with several previous posters that the person or persons responsible is either close to you or associated with someone you know. I know that the last thing you want to do is suspect a friend, family member etc. But greed unfortunately knows no boundries. Someone had to know you had those in that drawer or had a pretty good idea about the general area you were keeping them in. I sincerely hope that you are able to recover your collection or at the very least some of it. Hang in there and don't let your collecting spirit be broken. We're all here to help in any way we can.

Best,
Adam

Old 02-21-2005, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Ben, so sorry to hear about your loss. I'll be checking ebay so see if any of your cards show up, along with most everyone else I'm sure. I hope you don't quit the hobby - you've given me expert advice on hockey and bb cards!

Old 02-21-2005, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Ben,

I was telling my wife about what happened, and all I got out was something like, "this person I know from the baseball card site has a small apartment in Montreal in Canada. he had a box in a drawer covered by clothes that had his baseball cards in it. someone broke into his apartment, took the cards and didn't take anything else including..." She immediately said, "it had to have been an inside job - someone that knows him". This was with only some of the information - I'm sure you're following up on this angle as it seems apparent to many of us that this is very highly likely the case...

Old 02-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

Who have you done business with recently, who knew you would be gone, and who wouldn't have to fly to get to your apartment?

Old 02-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Ben,
Are there any windows in the room where your cards were stored? Have you had any workers in lately? Cable? Phone? If it wasn't someone who knows you very well and had access to your Apt, than it had to be someone who has a view.
The cards will show up someday, when the thief sells them to some un suspecting dealer. I hope that happens sooner than later.

Very sorry, Brian

Old 02-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

How did they get in the apartment? Was it forced entry? Is anything else missing? I would think a better chance for fingerprints would be on the door knob or window, whichever they broke to get in. If it was forced entry, you should call the police immediately. Dan.

Old 02-21-2005, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Thank you Mike for your helpful thread, and for everyone's kindness. All the emails, advice, and offers to help were really amazing. After posting here last night, you can all imagine that I was very shaken and distraught. First thing I did was naturally to call my parents, who were extremely supportive as they always are. My mom kept telling me that it wasn't the worst thing that could happen, and while I reacted to that statement initially with anger, I realized it was true after cooling down after a while. Actually, the support of my parents proved that this was true - my dad insisted that he take the 3 hour drive to montreal on a snowy highway so that I wouldnt have to deal with this catastrophe alone. He knows how much of me is invested in my collection, or at least he knows now. My family is way more important than cards, and this situation only brought that reality into better focus.

I then called the police, who told me an officer would show up soon, but not HOW soon. So I waited a hellish 2 hours here in my apartment reading the board and watching people respond to my post before the officer showed up. Name was Luc Marticotte, who is basically your francophone version of Ray Romano. I'm no forensic expert, and I'm pretty sure Luc wasn't either, but it didnt take much to realize that this was a very clean entrance and departure, with no signs of forceable entry. The only things out of place were the two boxes I held the cards in. The one that I keep in my dresser was in my bedroom and the tupperwear container where I hold all my childhood stuff was without it's top, on my couch. The only way anyone got into the apartment was by picking the front lock, which is doable, or by entering through the kitchen window, which is my suspicion. I forgot to lock the damn window.

Ray Romano looked around, wrote the basics on his theft report, and left after 10 minutes with the two boxes that my cards were in. He's gonna look for fingerprints, but I'm dubious. I have a feeling that these lackeys aren't gonna do jack for me. In terms of helpful and agressive intervention by the police in matters of theft, I think that the Montreal police force is is far less rigorous than what most of you are used to. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyways, my dad showed up about 45 minutes later, and since I hadnt eaten all day, we went to my pet restraunt closeby, Alto's. Not much to look at, but they're cheap, great service, and they work hard for a living. And they make a great cheeseburger and poutine. After dinner I wanted to keep my mind off the cards, so we went and rented "Raising Arizona" on dvd. I was drained, and couldnt focus on the movie so we both just went to bed, my dad refusing bed to my junk ass couch. It was white when I got it, now it's a creamy brown. When we woke up in the morning, I posted here, and then wrote out a notice in english and french to hand around to all the pawn shops. I included a complete list and a page of colour scans of some of my heartbreakers. n162 kelly top left. So I spent today handing these out around town, and also to my apeish, white ponytailed, "philo-semetic" (dad's words) landloard Orel. He's a christian who loves jews, which means special treatment pour moi, but that's another story. Orel wasn't much help, but he talked his head off to us like he usually does. Sent out an urgent email to Gerry Chartrand, who is one of the only major card dealers in this area...mostly hockey though. This nhl lockout must be screwing him large, btw. He hasn't gotten back to me yet. I suppose I will continue passing out these notices around town, antique shops, junk shops, coin shops, whatever.

I was amazed at the influx of emails I got from everyone last night and today. I havent been able to write back as I've been too sad/busy to write out that many emails but I will be in touch with all of you of course. This is truly an amazing group of collectors, thank you so much.

I know people have said it alot in the past, "it's only cardboard", but I guess I'll have to discover if that's for real. Thanks for reading.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Ben, what a sickening bit of news. Some free advice: the cops will be of marginal help as will the local dealers. Adam is right, they'll buy and sell your stuff just to make a buck and then say "How could I have known it was stolen?" You need to go to each of them (internet dealers as well) and offer a reward for every card they locate. Make sure the reward you give them is close to the amount of money you think they can make on a flip. Post on every single internet site that deals in vintage cards. Scour ebay on a daily basis. I can tell you this for certain: some of your cards (my guess is a decent percentage) will turn up.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:41 AM
Administrator

what if you don't have any dough?

I look for the five cards I'm looking for 3-4 times a day,
and Mark Macrae said you have to look under all possible names, not just the nummerical listing.

Although I agree with many that this was definitely an inside job, I did a Google search for Ben Fisher, to see if I could get his address. No, but I did get his e-mail address. from that group he belongs to where people give eachother cards (OBP?). His want list is listed inder "Ben Fisher's Want List." Can you get someone's address from their e-mail address?

Old 02-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Administrator

you might also want to try expanding beyond the Montreal area in terms of contacting card shops, pawn shops, etc. Obviously driving to all of them would be difficult if not impossible, but maybe even just a phone call could make the difference.

I say this because it was a valuable enough collection that if the thief was smart, they might realize it would be pretty stupid to try and sell the cards too close by, figuring you'd put the word out - just a suggestion...

Peace,
Gary

Old 02-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ErikV

Ben and all,

First of all as a fellow vintage card collector, I grieve with you in the loss of your collection. As most of us will agree, our collections are more and mean more than just a bunch of cardboard. It's both many years of work and a labor of love. To have your hard earned money and work taken away like that pains us all.

In a recent post the statement was made "the cops will be of marginal help." The loss of your collection and this statement reminded me of a true story, of which I was a part of. You may find some hope while reading it.

About 15 years ago I went to my local card shop and saw some very attractive 1953 TOPPS cards for sale. I quickly scooped up the Satchel Paige, Bob Feller and Monte Irvin paying around $300.00 for these cards. Within a week I received a phone call from the Sheriff's Department inquiring about these cards. I was told that they were taken in a residential burglary and I was unknowingly in possession of stolen property (a felony here in the state of California.) I was told to bring them into the police station, to which I did. Later, I went back to the shop where I had bought the cards and spoke with the owner. Apparently the kid who sold the cards to the shop had broken into his neighbors house after learning about the dad's card collection. In the end, the cards were returned to their rightful owner and the kid was prosecuted. Wishing you well and for the same happy ending.

Keep the faith Ben!

Erik V.

Old 02-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DMcD

Ben,
The theft of your cards hits home; we are all diminished by your misfortune. I am 6000 miles to your west but I feel like the same bastard is hanging around my neighbourhood.

My wife, the naive soul, rolls her eyeballs when I tell her we should take down the artwork and hide the valuables when tradesmen and such strangers are in the house. I haven't told her about the Claymore mine rigged to the safe. Can't be too careful with the old cardboard, those wonderful icons of our youth.

The board has nominated everyone except the butler as your perp. Any of the nominees have a drug problem? Drugs and B&E's go hand in hand. My hunch is that the police won't catch the guy. The suggestion of a private investigator was a good one; just make sure he comes well referenced. Ask your lawyer. I employed a PI once via the Yellow Pages. He milked me for a lot of cash for not a lot of results.

Stay strong, brah!

DMcD
Honolulu

Old 02-22-2005, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

Hi Ben:

I'm sorry to here about the theft of your collection. I'll keep my eye out for your cards on EBAY, and at any shows that I might attend in Massachusetts. In addition, when I lived in Maine, the only vintage dealer was "Don's Baseball Cards" in Portland, Maine. If you need contact info for his store, let me know.

Patrick

Old 02-22-2005, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i am so sorry for your loss. i hope it ends on a happy note. my thoughts: seems to me that the thief(thieves)my just be kids.i base this on the fact that which was taken is easily hidden. all other valuables are still there. a person with a vehicle would be inclined to take what ever he could,or is of value.(not just the cards)if you see any kids around,ask them questions,they may want to talk.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: the(next)level

Topic Subject OT: Google Your Phone Number

RU4Scuba

Total Posts: 3166

I normally don't get worked up about this stuff but I Googled my phone number after I read this email and got my name, my wife's name, and a map to our house. Needless to say, I filled out the remove me form.

Google has implemented a new feature wherein you can type someone's telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and then you will be given a map to their house.

Everyone should be aware of this!

Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. Before forwarding this, I tested it by typing my telephone number in
www.google.com. My phone number came up, and when I clicked on the MapQuest link, it actually mapped out where I live. Quite scary.
Please look up your own number. Read below for details.

Think about it--if a child, ANYONE gives out his/her phone number, someone can actually now look it up to find out where he/she lives.

The safety issues are obvious, and alarming. In order to test wheth er your phone number is mapped, go to: http://www.google.com Type your phone number in the search bar (i.e.555-555-1212) and hit enter. If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your private information, simply click on phonebook results link above your phone number and scroll down. I removed my name, but it takes 48-hours.

If you are unlisted in the phone book, you might not be in there, but it is a good idea just to check. If your number does come up if you hit map, it will show you a direct map to your house...

Might want to pass this on to friends and family

Old 02-22-2005, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

edited to delete post - I found it.

Thanks for the responses.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Administrator

There's a whole page of a thread from the board, and my ad in the classified section of Vintage and Classic Baseball Collector, which I've tried in vain to have taken out. There's also a map to our house. Good grief!