NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Net54baseball 9th Annual National Dinner- Friday August 5th

To all concerned,

The 9th Annual Net54baseball Dinner will be held on Friday, August 5th, the week of the National. I will have an RSVP thread within 3-5 weeks of the dinner. It's too early now. It will be at the Embassy Suites Ohare. (across the street from the National). If ya'll remember the stir fry stations and multiple bartenders, that is what we are doing again. All members of Net54baseball are invited. regards
Old 03-08-2011, 10:48 AM
K1rk K3ith

Default National

Thank you Leon...missed this last year.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Todd Schultz

Default Cool

This is very good news. Thanks for getting this back on track Leon.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:23 AM

Happy to hear the tradition is returning. Thanks Leon.
JimB
Old 03-08-2011, 11:34 AM

Great news! Look forward to renewing acquaintances there
Old 03-08-2011, 01:25 PM

FANTASTIC NEWS !!!! Thank you for bringing it back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Jewish-collector; 03-08-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:27 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Thanks leon! Looking forward to it.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:21 PM
J@son M1ller

Thanks for putting this together. It will be great to finally put a face with an avatar.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Andy Garden

Default 54 Dinner

Thank you, Leon. I look forward to meeting all the fellow cardboard junkies!

Best,

Andy
Old 03-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Phil Garry

Sounds good, Leon, I'll be there. Thanks again!

Phil
Old 03-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Michael S

Super duper. I will be attending. Look mucho forward to it.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:18 PM

Leon,

You da man! I'm in, Bud.

Cheers, Mike
Old 03-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Jeff

Leon,
Thanks. The return of an old friend, the Net54 Dinner!

Jeff

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 03-09-2011, 05:23 AM
Rich Klein

Default Thanks to the sponsors!

I'm looking forward to this -- as this is the closest thing to an hospitality room this hobby has. If you have been around long enough, that was a beloved part of the hobby past

Rich
Old 03-09-2011, 06:04 AM
Ke.n K0hen

That's great Leon. It's at those dinners where I first met several of the folks that have contributed to this thread. Thanks so much for reviving a wonderful tradition.

Ken
Old 03-09-2011, 06:13 AM
Jimi

Default Been 4 years?

I haven't been to the National since 2007, but my heart is where it needs to be these days....can't wait to meet up with all of you again! It's been too long! Thanks so much, Leon!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:39 AM
Tony Quinn

Default I'm In!

I am excited to attend. My wife even said I should go but she just had surgery and was medicated Does anyone know if Bruce (or one of his representatives) will be in attendance or is he banned from this event also
Sorry, don't mean to start anything, just joking!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
I am excited to attend. My wife even said I should go but she just had surgery and was medicated Does anyone know if Bruce (or one of his representatives) will be in attendance or is he banned from this event also
Sorry, don't mean to start anything, just joking!
Actually, that is not a bad question. There is a handful of folks that have been banned from this board. I said all "members" are invited. When you look below a USER ID of someone that has been banned it doesn't say "member" it says "banned"....therefore they are not a member, in my mind. That being said I will make a case by case decision on those few individuals. If Bruce (or his brother Archive) want to come to the Dinner, and he won't spread little pieces of paper around the room saying how terrible I am, then he can come to. I imagine he will be back on the board at some point in the future too.

The way the Dinner got going again is by having one sponsor being the "Gold" sponsor and that sponsor is going to be Heritage Auctions. Make no mistake, it is still a Net54baseball dinner just as it always has been. Hopefully there will be other sponsors too but for right now it is being done due to Heritage and our other banner advertisers who pay money every month for their ads to be on the board. Without those banners and Heritage's sponsorship I am not sure we would have been able to get it done as six hours of open bar and food isn't too cheap for 175-200 folks. For anyone that has been to one of these you know it's a blast. I am looking forward to it. best regards
Old 03-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Rich Klein

Default I really

Want to meet archive!

He/She has soo much hobby knowledge

Rich
Old 03-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

wow, thanks Heritage! Anyone know if they are having a Live auction again on Thursday?

Last edited by Bicem; 03-09-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
wow, thanks Heritage! Anyone know if they are having a Live auction again on Thursday?
Yes they are having a live auction on Thursday. I hope folks will consider them, and their generosity, when making decisions on who to support in the hobby. They and the rest of our advertisers are making the party a possibility.....regards
Old 03-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Jonathan Scheier

Thanks for the kind words, Leon, and you are correct--we are having our "Platinum Night" auction on Thursday. The basic parameters will be the same--one hundred lot limit with individual lot value in excess of $10,000, a mixture of high-end single cards, sets and memorabilia. We're currently accepting consignments for that auction, but space is limited.

We'll break some news here on Net54--this is honestly the first time we've publicized it. A recent consignment to this Platinum Night auction is a portion of the Lou Gehrig estate which includes his full (jersey, pants, cap, stirrups) uniform worn for the 1934 Tour of Japan. Nobody in the hobby even knew this existed until now, so we're very excited about it. We expect a TON of publicity for this auction, and, of course, everything will be displayed at our corporate booth at the National, so it really will be the most attractive consignment opportunity of 2011. I'll step down off my soapbox now, but, again, thanks for the support.
Heritage Auctions (www.HA.com)
JonathanS@HA.com
1-800-872-6467 X1314

Consign to auction at http://sports.ha.com/consign

Connect with Heritage at http://sports.HA.com/Connect
Old 03-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Actually, that is not a bad question. There is a handful of folks that have been banned from this board. I said all "members" are invited. When you look below a USER ID of someone that has been banned it doesn't say "member" it says "banned"....therefore they are not a member, in my mind. That being said I will make a case by case decision on those few individuals. If Bruce (or his brother Archive) want to come to the Dinner, and he won't spread little pieces of paper around the room saying how terrible I am, then he can come to. I imagine he will be back on the board at some point in the future too.

The way the Dinner got going again is by having one sponsor being the "Gold" sponsor and that sponsor is going to be Heritage Auctions. Make no mistake, it is still a Net54baseball dinner just as it always has been. Hopefully there will be other sponsors too but for right now it is being done due to Heritage and our other banner advertisers who pay money every month for their ads to be on the board. Without those banners and Heritage's sponsorship I am not sure we would have been able to get it done as six hours of open bar and food isn't too cheap for 175-200 folks. For anyone that has been to one of these you know it's a blast. I am looking forward to it. best regards

Whether it's intentional or accidental, Bruce, et al., are no longer "Banned." They are back to being a "Member."

http://www.net54baseball.com/member.php?u=276
Old 03-09-2011, 01:13 PM
GaryPassamonte

Leon,
Is Legendary having their auction Friday, 8/5?
Old 03-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Whether it's intentional or accidental, Bruce, et al., are no longer "Banned." They are back to being a "Member."

http://www.net54baseball.com/member.php?u=276
What happened is that the banishment was for a short period and was entered into the system as such. Then Brucii started sending private emails concerning me and the banishment was supposed to be made to be indefinite. It has been corrected. He would have been back on the board long ago had he just not sent those immature emails to a group of fellow hobbyists. I had never done anything to him and even stuck up for him when others wanted him gone long ago. As I said, if there are no more immature emails sent I would think he will be permitted back, if he wants to come back, in the not too distant future.

Gary- Yes, Legendary is still having their live auction on Friday. Any board member going to it, that RSVP's for our dinner, is more than welcome to come over to the Net54 party afterwards. I am even making special arrangements so the party will end later than 12am...so those folks can come over if they want to and still have time to hoot and holler. Doug is a board member, as well as some of his company staff, and they are welcome to come over too, if they would like to and RSVP.

The dinner had to be Thursday or Friday if we were going to have one. So, the choice was made to have it on Friday. best regards
Old 03-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
What happened is that the banishment was for a short period and was entered into the system as such. Then Brucii started sending private emails concerning me and the banishment was supposed to be made to be indefinite. It has been corrected. He would have been back on the board long ago had he just not sent those immature emails to a group of fellow hobbyists. I had never done anything to him and even stuck up for him when others wanted him gone long ago. As I said, if there are no more immature emails sent I would think he will be permitted back, if he wants to come back, in the not too distant future.

That's what I figured. Despite my long running problems with Bruce, I voted that he not be banned, or even suspended. Of course, that was before he went all "lawsuit threatening" on you.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default honestly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
That's what I figured. Despite my long running problems with Bruce, I voted that he not be banned, or even suspended. Of course, that was before he went all "lawsuit threatening" on you.
Honestly, and the other 3 moderators can confirm it, I never really wanted him banned or suspended. After his last tirade, and the fact he was STILL on probation for the same thing, I had to do what I had to do. It's sort of a kin to continue warning your child they will be disciplined and then never doing it. It becomes a joke to them. I would like to see Brucii back on the board.....He has a lot to contribute when he wants to. I could do without his "wealth" shpeel but that is his personality.

As for threats of lawsuits, I get them frequently. It comes with the territory. They don't make me have a happy day but they aren't that big of a deal. I have a pretty good feel for my boundaries. They are the same as everyone else's. People that don't know the law always think I am personally responsible for what gets said on the board. I know I am not though. regards
Old 03-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Barry Sloate

I spoke to Bruce yesterday and he seemed to be in good spirits. Maybe he is on the road to return to the board.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Rich Klein

Default Well

If we were going to bring back Bruce; he should have returned last month -- we could have used the extra boost for the February sweeps
Old 03-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default we missed the sweeps but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
If we were going to bring back Bruce; he should have returned last month -- we could have used the extra boost for the February sweeps
We might have missed the sweeps but as anyone logged in can see, yesterday at 12:47pm we had the most users ever on the board at once:

"Most users ever online was 269, Yesterday at 12:47 PM."

Was there some drama or something I missed?