NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Frank Wakefield

Default Any idea which trade in baseball history involved the most HOFers???

I don't know which trade involved the most Hall of Fame members...

I do know that this one had quite a few.

December 8, 1899.

Tom Messitt, Fred Clarke, Mike Kelley, Rube Waddell, Honus Wagner, Chief Zimmer, Deacon Phillippe, Claude Ritchey, Tommy Leach, Tacks Latimer, Bert Cunningham, and Jack Wadsworth, all to the Pirates for Jack Chesbro, George Fox, Art Madison, John O'Brien, and $25,000. That was a lot of money in the day.

5 members of the Hall, Chesbro, Clarke, Kelley, Waddell, and Wagner.

Here are a few cards, depicting a few of those guys. I like the T210 red border Old Mill card of Tom Messitt, who played 3 games in the majors, all in 1899 for Louisville of the National League.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:57 PM

Default Not the King

Mike (King) Kelly the HOFer died in 1894. This was Michael J. Kelley, a one-year major leaguer who wound up running the Minneapolis Millers in the 20s-30s and appears on some cards as such.
Actually, this wasn't a trade by modern standards. It was roster maneuvering as part of the consolidation of the Louisville and Pittsburg franchises for the 1900 season.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:22 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Hi Frank

Interesting stuff. And perhaps, the Kelley you cited is HOFer Joseph James Kelley ?
Who played for Pittsburgh briefly during the 1890's.

Best regards,

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 07-29-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:54 AM
Frank Wakefield

Spec, I agree with the first part and am corrected.

I disagree with the 'roster consolidation' euphemism. I well understand that Louisville was in the process of departing the National League, and what was going on. But you have 2 different franchises, players' contracts being reassigned, money moving... that's a trade. Baseball Reference . Com uses the term trade.

And yes, Ted, I see that he's the fellow that managed at St. Paul and at Minneapolis. He managed in the minors for 30 years.

So 4 Hall of Famers:: Wagner, Clarke, Waddell, and Chesbro
Old 07-29-2011, 02:28 PM

Default Clarification

Chesbro was shuffled back to the Pittsburg roster before the 1900 season began and Louisville owner Barney Dreyfuss, another HOFer, wound up owning the Pirates franchise largely as a result of this deal. Decide for yourself whether this meets your definition of "trade."
Old 07-29-2011, 02:53 PM

-

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 08-21-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:56 PM
John Manning

Default Autographs

In 1925, surviving members of the '00 - '01 Pirates gathered for a reunion. I have a signed ball from that event. Signatures include Kitty Bransfield (who signed himself "Lefty," though he neither batted nor threw left handed), Lee Tannehill, Claude Ritchey, Chief Zimmer, Tommy Leach, Charlie ("Deacon") Phillipe, Jimmie Burke, Ginger Beaumont, J. Honus Wagner, Fred Clarke, Jack Chesbro and Barney Dreyfus.

My favorite, next to the HOFers, is Chief Zimmer. We don't hear enough about him. If you're interested, see

http://www.thedeadballera.com/Obits/...hief.Obit.html
Old 07-29-2011, 09:04 PM
Frank Wakefield

Zimmer, Beaumont, and Phillipe were really good ballplayers. Tannehill and Bransfield were good. Prof, have you a scan of that ball?

'spec', I will concede that it wasn't a normal trade... I'd think the League office expected to see trade forms, and the other owners thought it like two corporations swapping stock.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:16 PM
John Manning

Default Ball

I'll see if I can take a few pictures.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Dave

The most I could find stumbling through Baseball Reference was when 3 HOF'ers Mathewson, McKechnie and Ed Rousch were traded from the Giants to the Reds for a couple non-HOF'ers.

Came across a bunch with 2 HOF'ers.

Hoyt Wilhelm for Luis Aparicio

Manush for Goslin

Grimes for Stengel

Frankie Frisch for Hornsby (probably the most significant)

It just doesn't seem to happen very often when future HOF'ers trade teams.

Lots of Blockbuster trades with eye-candy prospects who never really panned out or didn't reach the HOF level.