NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Your thoughts on attending the National
Go, the experience is worth it 91 73.39%
I’m on the fence too... 14 11.29%
Stay home and invest 19 15.32%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Mark Fox

Default Poll and thoughts on attending the National

I have never been to a National so I'm debating making the trip to Baltimore for this year’s edition, it’s a manageable 5 hour drive for me. But I also think about how I could easily take the few hundred dollars I would outlay for the trip and invest that in at-home purchases for my collection. Life is filled with such difficult decisions sometimes.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default at the end of it all......

At the end of it all, life is about experiences. If you are a passionate collector you should try to make the National at least once.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I've never been to the National either and was thinking about going mostly for the experience of it. I'm 5 hours, 6 minutes away according to my Droid GPS lol coming from the Hartford, CT area. I hear its alot of walking and I just got a new health problem to add to the many others I already have. Gout in the feet, so if I can get that under control before the show, I might go but I do understand your thoughts about staying home and spending the saved money on an internet purchase.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:48 AM
qu@n nguy3n

go if u want to meet people, don't if you actually want to buy cards.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
This will be my 11th National. I have bought cards for resale AND for my collection at every one of them. My glass is half full though.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Tony Gordon

There's nothing better than the National in my book. If I could get the time off work, I'd drive in from Chicago.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:16 AM
J@son M1ller

I love card shows. Big, small, bad, good. It's about talking to people, making the occasional deal, finding a rare card. Not everyone lists cards on the interweb.

For me, if I find one card at a show, I'm happy. It was worth the entrance. Also, because I like to talk about cards (that's why we're here, right) and a face to face interaction is nice. It's card-dork central. And if you're a card dork, how can you not go?
Old 05-30-2012, 10:17 AM
nels0n aud.et

i am too far away from the nats so make the travel to go to the nats is too expensive, i prefer stay at home and invest in my collection.

if i was like you, at 5 hours of car from the nats, it is sure at 100000% i will be at the nats !

But i am in canada, so it is toooo many fee to go to the nats for me.

Last edited by g_vezina_c55; 05-30-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

This will be my 9th consecutive and 11th overall National. Well worth the trip just to hang out with the other card-geeks. And if you collect oddball and esoteric issues it can be a very helpful experience. I've picked up some real gems at the National over the years. Got these two last year:

2010:

2008:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-30-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Poll and thoughts on attending the National

Quote:
It is a great place to buy cards. Not every dealer is overpriced.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Input?

I am in NY, so it is not too far. I have never been to a National so I might like to attend. One of the main reasons I would attend would be to participate in the Net54 dinner...what night would that be? I only do sports related ephemera (publications, photos, etc.), not cards, autographs or equipment, would there be enough to see and do for 2 days? I would usually spend about 4 to 6 hours at the East Coast shows in Westchester. Thanks in advance for any advice/input.

Jeff

Last edited by ibuysportsephemera; 05-30-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-30-2012, 10:39 AM
qu@n nguy3n

most deals are scooped up by other dealers before the door is open to the public on thursday. if you have a dealer friend with a pass for wednesday that might help. that's been my experience at 4 nat'l, ymmv.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:42 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Depends on what you collect. I make some great deals on Wednesdays that's for sure, but I've also found tremendous items throughout the rest of the week. The key is to keep circulating and digging. Sunday has been a waste of time, though, so much so that I've taken to going home on Saturday the last few trips.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhans View Post
It is a great place to buy cards. Not every dealer is overpriced.
For me the threat of overpriced cards is not a deterrent for me regardless. It can't be any worse than sitting at home scrolling through all the ridiculously over-priced BINs on Ebay. Least you can try to negotiate face to face at the show.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

The cards are ridiculously overpriced and sometimes you won't see a single interesting card you want to buy. That being said, sometimes you do. It's worth it to go to one and Baltimore is a great venue, much better than Chicago.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:07 AM
pete ullman

I agree with most that has been said...I went last year in chicago...worth the trip just for the net54 dinner...although I didn't buy any cards...I DID get some graded...and Baltimore is worth the trip just to party in fells point or federal hill or any of the seafood markets...great city for a nat'l!!!!

Oops...I almost forgot camden yards, the babe ruth museum...and much more!!!!

Last edited by ullmandds; 05-30-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:38 AM
qualitycards

What I like about card shows is seeing something that I want that's not on my list.
An oddball item or display piece that I did'nt know I "needed"
Just something that catches my fancy while browsing at the tables & something I couldn't find on ebay
since I wouldn't be looking for it.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:46 AM
T0dd M@rcum

We don't get to go to major league games often, so throwing in an Orioles game is a huge bonus. I usually find things to buy, but there are more than your fair share of museums there. I always enjoy meeting new people and I consider this more of my entertainment/travel budget than my baseball card budget. I have been to three nationals which probably isn't a lot given my passion and involvement over the years, but I am looking forward to Baltimore. You can probably find someone else going your way and split gas and possibly hotel...not coming for VA by chance are you?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Ben H*ds@n

Go for the experience! Last year, I went to my first National. I went on the last day, (the only day my schedule allowed me to go) and as was posted earlier, there were not any real bargains. The depth of items at the show was amazing. I ended up purchasing one card for the day, a graded T206 Cobb. That being said, I went through a lot of dealers before I got a decent deal. All in all a fun time, and I will attend another National if the show is near my area again.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:06 PM

i would go, but it seems like they are always held in the midwest or east coast. as much as i enjoy the hobby, i dont have the time and dime to fly cross country for a card show. if it was within reasonable commuting distance, i would attend.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:17 PM
J@son M1ller

O's aren't in town for this national. Have to take the 45 minute train or car to DC to see the Nationals this time.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Brandon Bailey

If you are a serious card collector it is a must to attend a National, just to see everything and the entire experience, which can be almost whatever you want it to be. If you are a card investor you should stay at home and buy what you want. I have been to 5 nationals since 1993 and the Baltimore venue is as good as it gets, you are in close proximity to so many things. Sadly the Orioles are not in town but there are still lots of non-baseball related things, which is good if you want to bring a family.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Mark Fox

I do think I've convinced myself to go. I'm planning on driving down Wednesday to check in and go to the "Sneak Peak" Wednesday evening. Stay overnight, go back to the show again on Thursday for a majority of the day and then drive home Thursday evening. I just cut out a second day of hotel stay which is significant.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
I do think I've convinced myself to go. I'm planning on driving down Wednesday to check in and go to the "Sneak Peak" Wednesday evening. Stay overnight, go back to the show again on Thursday for a majority of the day and then drive home Thursday evening. I just cut out a second day of hotel stay which is significant.
Not sure if it's possible but if you go on Friday and stay that evening you could attend the Net54baseball dinner. It is on Friday night and is free, free free....with 150+ board members in attendance. (or at least it has been that many for several years running). Whatever you do I hope to see you there. I will be set up with my auction partner Scott as well as Jay (Old Judge) and Richard Masson.....
Old 05-30-2012, 01:02 PM

The National is one of the great experiences in this hobby. This will be my 6th consecutive National and 8th overall. You will have a fantastic time, even if you don't buy that much. Baltimore is a wonderful city and there are plenty of activities to do in the evenings after the show each day. Plus, the Net54 dinner is the highlight of the weekend !!!

Last edited by Jewish-collector; 05-30-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Jason Wells

Im going and look forward to knocking off a couple much needed cards in the process.It will be my first so ill be the guy looking around lost.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:11 PM

I would go. I can't think of any cards I 'need' and can afford, but expect to have a wonderful time nevertheless just perusing stuff and shooting the sh*t with other collectors. The Net54 dinner is a must if you can make it.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:33 PM

Default the 2012 national

This will be my 26th national setting up or attending......I cannot emphasize how great an experience it is especially for a true collector....you will see just about everything, in all conditions and prices....what is really important, if you are a card collector, graded or ungraded, is that you can view the cards in person...there is no substitute.....seeing customers and dealer friends (for some just this once a year) is irreplaceable....you can "stay home" the rest of the year and deal through the extremely boring and monotonous Internet, and pay the very high catalog auction surcharges....and as some one said, it is very true that there are quality sellers who just setup and sell at the national and rarely if at all online or elsewhere, and that the best material is saved for this show....I cant wait to get to their tables! It is important to try to enter the show on Wednesday....if you go, have a great time...Bruce Perry
Old 05-30-2012, 01:57 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I have lost count but I have been to 10 or 12 nationals going back to the first one in Chicago a few decades ago. It is an experience that is fun and even shall I say, exciting to go to especially if you have never been to one before. You will see faces that you can put with names and see stuff you will never be able to afford. I know at a few nationals I was able to hold and examine a T206 Wagner which I know I never would have been able to do outside of the show.

The last national I spent only 75 bucks on cards I needed for sets but I still enjoyed looking at all the tables and marveling at the merchandise that was set up. The display that had Dr. J's memorabilia and other such displays allowed access to "stuff" you would never see outside of any major sport's hall of fame. I have always said it is like one giant sports collectors hall of fame under one roof. I no longer come loaded with a huge cash roll to get great deals because, to be honest, you really have to work to get a great deal. But if there is one card you are searching for and cannot find, the national is the place to find it.

You wont regret going!
Old 05-30-2012, 02:10 PM

i wish i lived closer to baltimore but it would be a long trip from pataskala ohio. i will go one of these day so until then i will keep going to vets memorial till i can and i know once i go to nationals i will keep going back to find that hidden gem i've been looking for.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
The cards are ridiculously overpriced and sometimes you won't see a single interesting card you want to buy. That being said, sometimes you do. It's worth it to go to one and Baltimore is a great venue, much better than Chicago.
This will be my 3rd consecutive National. I thought Chicago was better! But, it doesn't matter where it's held; it's all about the cards ... and the Net54 dinner.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:43 AM

The National is a ton of fun! It is where you really can get to know some hobby friends. And I have always had luck finding cool items there. Sure, some dealers are overpriced. Others are not. There is so much there, there has to be something for just about everybody.
JimB
Old 05-31-2012, 05:39 AM
Nick Edson

I've been to many nationals as a tableholder and buyer - especially the early ones in the 1980s and 1990s - and they are a great way to network. Those contacts I made later helped me fill in sets with cards they came across they knew I needed. So the national is much more than a show, it's a way to make contacts that help you for years. Well worth the price... and lots of fun.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:20 PM
Ken McMillan

Been to national 3 times. Loved it every time.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:41 PM
Ed McCollum

Default Been to one

and wouldn't mind going again. Thinking maybe the next time it is in Chicago. Don't know that I would find much of what I collect now, but back in '94 or '95 when I went, I was just impressed at how much stuff there was, who was there (dealers I had only heard of in SCD and VCBN) and even got to hold an encapsulated Honus Wagner that had a price equal to the value of my house at the time.
The Network 54 dinner would make it worth it all, in my opinion. I'd like to meet some of you guys.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:45 PM

I live in Canada and the distance will not deter me from attending my 6th National this summer. I missed the last one in Baltimore due to a family holiday, but barring the unforseen I will be there this time 'round. Have never made the net54dinner before....perhaps this time.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:24 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default National

I agree with Leon. I have had great fortune to buy for my collection and for re-sale. Again, half-full glass here as well.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Shaun Fyffe

You guys have convinced me to make my first trip this year. Is VIP worth it to get in 30 mins early on Wednesday?

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 05-31-2012, 08:36 PM

Default The National

I have been to just about every National since the first one in Los Angeles in 1980. I have had tables for Teletrade and I have gone as a collector. If there is any way you can go, GO! It is not to be missed! You can buy for your collection, buy for resale, and meet everyone you have dealt with over the internet and phone.
P.S. I keep the National Sports Collectors Convention Program each year but I still need a few. Does anyone have any?
Thanks, Andy Sandler alwysyakn@aol.com
Old 05-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Marty K.

Default National

This will be my ninth....the days go by fast wear good shoes.. stay for at least a couple of days.....If you are addicted to this board you gotta go..just go you won't be sorry ...Baltimore is great you can walk to everything as everything is close to the convention center ...to bad the O's aren't at home..No Boog Powell sausage....fly if you can you won't need a car....Connections you make make the trip.....Hotels are close...net54 dinner is a great place to meet folks...Leon does a nice job.... Dealers are there to sell....most will work with you some won't... plenty will.. ask questions....be polite... fanny pack or back pack are helpful