NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-05-2015, 02:29 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Getting that feeling...

I have to blame several of you for my starting this thread . As a card collector, I have always, always, always been a '50s guy and considered Post-war cards to be the only cards I would ever care about. I also have recently developed an interest in vintage photography, with a particular focus on Ted Williams. I have always been aware of tobacco cards, and I have seen many, many Net54 threads about them as well, like the Monster Number thread. The enthusiasm of you guys (too many of you to list, but you know who you are) has caused me to take a closer look. I caught myself looking at tobacco cards at the National. There is just something about them. The colors, the backs, I am not sure really. Since getting back from Chicago, I have been looking at threads about purchases some of you made...hard to find backs, fronts, etc. and I am interested....but overwhelmed.

Where would I start? I have the book The Golden Era of Baseball Cards (the exact title escapes me) that has them all pictured. I have noticed the t205s and the t206s and others. Like many other collectors, I find myself drawn to the t206s. Should I just "try on" a few relatively inexpensive ones to see what I think about them in hand? I know that t206 collecting is a vast enterprise. I am crazy to plunge in?

I would appreciate feedback from you long time t206 and other tobacco card collectors.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Mike

Aw...Hell! Try one....I can quit any time I want....
Old 08-05-2015, 02:49 PM
Tony Ooten

Hi Robert,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post

Should I just "try on" a few relatively inexpensive ones to see what I think about them in hand?
Yes, if you don't take a liking to them, they are fairly easy to re-sell.

Quote:
I am crazy to plunge in? .
Nope, So many people collect them in so many different ways... Since I started about 6 years ago, I have come to think of monster collectors as a brotherhood of sorts.

Quote:
I would appreciate feedback from you long time t206 and other tobacco card collectors.
I am certainly not a long-time collector, but here is a thread quote from Barry A regarding t206's that I came across several years ago and think it sums up nicely:

"It is an amazingly shrewd adversary,yet a most intriguing friend.
Forgive my anthropomorphism."

Plus, in a few minutes MrVster will be on here recruiting you and he is hard to resist.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:04 PM
Ben North

I bought a some T206's, very few T205's, and some T210's to start. After I got to around 40 T206 cards I realized I did not like them and as others said they are easy to resell. The T205 cards just never appealed to me after getting around 5. Now those beautiful red bordered cards with the B/W photo are a whole different story and I found my tobacco card set to collect. So my suggestion is try on a few different sets and see what fits.

Last edited by bnorth; 08-05-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:49 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Something I meant to mention in my initial post is that I have reservations about starting these type of sets because I won't be getting many of the key cards. For example, if I buy 206s, I do so knowing I will never buy a Wagner. The t210 Jackson can be pricey...might not happen for me. Do you guys have designs on purchasing all the key cards in these sets, or are you happy with just accumulating cards like the t206s and focusing on the front/back variations?
Old 08-05-2015, 03:59 PM
Eric
Eric

Default T206

Bought a Cy Young glove shows PSA 4 and Miller Huggins PSA 4 at the National and I have to say, after nearly completing the T205 set, I am hooked on the T206s. I am going to go for the HOFers less Wagner and Plank in PSA 4 or better holders. This will be a bigtime quest and will not be easily completed, but I am up for a challenge. Something about those cards...
Old 08-05-2015, 04:04 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Something I meant to mention in my initial post is that I have reservations about starting these type of sets because I won't be getting many of the key cards. For example, if I buy 206s, I do so knowing I will never buy a Wagner. The t210 Jackson can be pricey...might not happen for me. Do you guys have designs on purchasing all the key cards in these sets, or are you happy with just accumulating cards like the t206s and focusing on the front/back variations?
I chose the T210 set to collect and it has the Joe Jackson and a few other cards I will never be able to afford and for me personally I don't have a problem with that. I just buy what I can and am very happy with that.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:28 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
With a set the size of t206 I don't have any problem not pursuing those 4 cards that cost ALOT more than I can justify and considering my set complete at 520.

Also there are literally dozens of subsets you can chase within t206. I started with just 150 series subjects.....
Old 08-07-2015, 04:30 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Should I just "try on" a few relatively inexpensive ones to see what I think about them in hand? .
That may be a tall task in itself. Let's see somewhere around February this year I had a total of maybe 50 or so and now a half year later I sit on 199 T206s.

You'll get hooked, you're not immune to the disease

Others are trying to lure you in but when you have a taste of the monster he'll keep yanking you back for more
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%