NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 07-15-2012, 06:44 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default Anyone watch Khan v. Garcia?

Hell of a fight. Amir Khan was the favorite and the promoter's focus who HBO has been trying to build into a superstar, Danny Garcia was a tough Philly kid who won a vacant belt against a faded Erik Morales a few months ago and was a fill-in for Lamont Peterson after LP tested positive for steriods. Garcia's father, his trainer, is a ridiculous smack-talker and got to Khan, apparently, who vowed to KO his son. Khan, for his part, looked less than impressive against his steroid-enhanced opponent in the last fight and has always had a suspect defense and chin, though great, great heart.

First and 2nd rounds, Khan comes out ready for business, cracking hard with Garcia, cutting his eye, starting to make hamburger of his face. Then, in the third near the end, the two get into an exchange and Garcia cracks Khan with a wild, wide left hook that knocks the Brit on his butt. Khan takes about a 14-count [seemed to me that the ref got to 8 then gave Khan several more seconds to recover while he was asking Khan if he could go on]. No less a ring eminence than Emanuel Steward said that Khan had not done anything wrong from a technical standpoint, he just got caught with a blind shot.

The fourth starts with Garcia again cracking Khan with massive left hooks and Kahn fighting back but wobbling all over the place. Kahn has no legs left. Garcia, very smart fighter, doesn't punch himself out trying to beat down Khan with repeat flurries. He bides his time and headhunts, throwing massive and damaging but very controlled shots. Two more knockdowns. After the 3rd knockdown and Kahn reeling but saying he's OK, the ref [Kenny Bayless, one of the best] doesn't like what he sees and stops it. Garcia wins another title at 140#, plus the Ring linear welterweight [147#] title. Gotta be a fight of the year candidate as both guys were cracking from the opening bell right to the end.

Poor Freddie Roach, three of his four main guys have lost fights recently and Julios Cesar Chavez Jr. is going up against Sergio Martinez in the fall and will likely lose that one.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-15-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:15 PM

Thank for posting this, I totally forgot about this fight. Your alert got me to the re-broadcast just in time. Good fight, would've loved to see a few more rounds at that pace.

We've got a local kid here who you might want to keep up on, Vanes "The Nightmare" Martirosyan. He's coming along nicely and has a lot of heart and talent.

Here's some decent footage of him sparring with Chavez Jr.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZxz-...eature=related
Old 07-15-2012, 04:16 PM
FredYoung

I keep HBO & Showtime both, mainly for boxing. I watch every fight they show. Last nite was a beauty!
Old 07-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Alan U

Fight was a good one. Too bad they didn't let the fight go a little longer, Kahn still seemed to have a chance when they stopped it, but then again I wasn't the one getting my head battered.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaiko View Post
Thank for posting this, I totally forgot about this fight. Your alert got me to the re-broadcast just in time. Good fight, would've loved to see a few more rounds at that pace.

We've got a local kid here who you might want to keep up on, Vanes "The Nightmare" Martirosyan. He's coming along nicely and has a lot of heart and talent.

Here's some decent footage of him sparring with Chavez Jr.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZxz-...eature=related
Glendale? My office is in Burbank.

Roach was quoted as saying that Garcia's smack talk got Khan off his game plan of using his reach and better speed to pick Garcia apart all night and win on points or a technical stoppage. Based on how Garcia looked after 3+ rounds, I'd venture a guess that if he'd stuck to plans the fight would have been stopped around the 8th or 9th for cuts on Garcia.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-15-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:55 PM

Neighbors huh? Didn't we meet at the Glendale show last year? I was the geek wearing the Net54 shirt.

Yea, Khan definitely has the sharper tools and I was surprised that he got suckered into a brawl, but who's to say if his speed could've kept up for the entire fight. That first knockout caught Khan right at the base of his skull, behind his ear, that looked like it did a number on his central nervous system.

Garcia seems to "find" a way to win his fights somehow, with those wide hooks. I'd like to see a rematch.

Have you ever seen Martirosyan? He used to fight a lot locally, when he was first coming up. In fact, he fought at the same venue where the card show was.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Dave

good fight.. After the cut in the first I thought Kahn would jab until it was stopped.

I would have like to see Kahn continue after he said he was ok, but geez after what four knockdowns his legs were gone.