NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-04-2020, 05:01 PM
Rich Klein

Default SI article on cards

Yes, I'm quoted in it. Yes, the primary focus is about modern "case breaking" which has as much relevance to this board as the possibility of me even meeting Gail Gadot. But, for those of us who do pay attention to new cards there are some lessons which can be drawn to our board including the surprising reasons why cards are selling even better during these tough times than we expected.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/05/04/br...6g3DS1XZPM_q-s

Regards
Rich
Old 05-04-2020, 06:06 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I'm surprised there was no mention of "base doesn't ship" or Upper Deck ePack/Panini blockchain. Those are definitely part of the resurgence/new platforms along with the sneakerheads and celebrity investment pumpers.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:11 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Case breaks? Uh, I'll take Gail Gadot. In a big way.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:21 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I'm surprised there was no mention of "base doesn't ship" or Upper Deck ePack/Panini blockchain. Those are definitely part of the resurgence/new platforms along with the sneakerheads and celebrity investment pumpers.
John:

FYI -- the reason this article even came about with the AT&T Stadium Case Break event mentioned was because Emma was going to be at Globe Life Park the next day for the new ballpark media sneak preview. Worked out well for her and SI to have two events on successive days within five minutes of each other.

I'm OK with the no blockchain information because the article was primarily Topps centric because of the major break of Topps series 1. I think Mike Sommer, a noted hobby blogger and podcaster, estimated the break may have been 2 percent or even slightly less of the total run. Because of how the event went she had easy access to each and every breaker. Heck, so did I but I was just there, well to be there -- LOL. I was lucky I knew some of the Topps people and had a hobby related column to qualify.

And yes the base don't ship for said break was an issue for those deep within the hobby and perhaps a follow up (Comments and discussions about this part of the break is/was important) but that was not the point of this specific article. If we don't have baseball soon, there might be time for a card collecting follow up article or two which touches on some of the issues we discuss regularly. But as a start and a net positive for the hobby, I'll take it as good news tonight.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 05-04-2020 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:29 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Some people cant miss a chance for a negative comment.

Plenty of other hobbies lieu.

Glad to see some news

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-04-2020, 06:38 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Some people cant miss a chance for a negative comment.

Plenty of other hobbies lieu.

Glad to see some news
John is a good guy who is a bit frustrated with many aspects of the hobby. We talk when we can and I know he loves many things about collecting and that's why I responded directly to him so to speak. I have NO issues with him at all.

Rich
Old 05-04-2020, 07:02 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
John is a good guy who is a bit frustrated with many aspects of the hobby. We talk when we can and I know he loves many things about collecting and that's why I responded directly to him so to speak. I have NO issues with him at all.

Rich
Thanks Rich. When I retire I can't wit to entertain the wanderings of a message board cop, and have them make excuses for me. I couldnt care less about your issues, some.of us have more then SI.

Adding another to the ignore list

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-04-2020, 07:35 PM

ok, I’ll change the subject. I believe that it’s Gal Gadot, not Gail. Unless there’s somebody named Gail who’s also pretty attractive.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:33 AM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Interesting article, Rich. Thanks for sharing. I'm so out of what is happening in the hobby today. Interesting to see how it is in large part being approached by many.

Btw, I started collecting more or less at the same time you did. It was 1968, in the spring, and it was either just as the 3rd series was ending or the 4th series was beginning. I had just become a baseball fan and a Yankees fan at that. And I remember I was having a hard time getting a Mickey Mantle who was in the 3rd series. It was probably too late to get him at the candy stores. So a friend of mine gave me one at swim team practice. I put the brand new card in with my wet gear and by the time I left the YMCA the card was completely frayed and and dog-eared. Kept it for many years, but unfortunately I made a bad move and gave away most of my collection a while back, not realizing how important my cards would become to me later. I did keep a lot of really great ones though, thankfully. Anyway, I'm collecting again and having a ball.

Last edited by jgannon; 05-05-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:18 AM
octavio ranzola

thx rich
Old 05-05-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgannon View Post
Interesting article, Rich. thanks for sharing. I'm so out of what is happening in the hobby today.
I’m so out of what is happening in modern day pop culture that I had to google Gal Gadot.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:32 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

I posted about a break here recently in my BST listing for a Koufax Topps Transcendent auto. That product would not exist imo if breakers had not gained traction in the last decade. $20K on a single box has inherent marketing qualities and makes sense when you can break it down by the number of hits.

Upper Deck's early 2000s Ultimate Collection and the like set the stage for this and within 10 years of those products Youtube was established as a internet juggernaut and was heavily trafficked by children. Breaker videos are below the threshold of any parental filters so any kid could just search for the product they were interested in and watch it get opened. They're only one begging session away from mom and dad putting down a few bucks on a random pack from Layton's or the like; way cheaper than $100 or more that a Gypsy Queen hobby box would cost. There's a whole boatload of people across that spectrum to people like me who would consider $600 (think that's changed in 20!) for one pack of 86 Fleer basketball.

There's going to be a natural progression to vintage cards for newcomers. Anyone and everyone is looking for an escape right now. With top dollar seemingly focused on the Jordan rookie right now-which is directly tied to the Last Dance-vintage across the board should be getting new eyeballs.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:34 PM
Jim B.

I thought I was the only one who didn't know who she was.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:40 PM
Al Richter

Thanks for posting Rich
Old 05-05-2020, 12:44 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRuth View Post
I’m still confused by “the base don’t ship” and “blockchain” stuff. Let alone who “Gal” is.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 05-05-2020, 12:44 PM
Mac Wubben

Quote:
I knew you guys were old, but I didn't realize you were dead
Old 05-05-2020, 01:31 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Topps

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
I’m still confused by “the base don’t ship” and “blockchain” stuff. Let alone who “Gal” is.
Several of the breakers from that Topps event did not ship out base cards.

They advertised as such and it is quite common for breakers to just ship "the hits" to the customer. Its a much followed practice and always stated up front.

If the customer wanted to pay the extra shipping and a small fee, I'm sure some Breakers will send the base cards.

Somehere in America there are ALOT of base cards piling up!

The Blockchain refers to Panini:

This is from the Panini website: To carry forward the legacy of Panini Collectibles into the digital era, Panini is leveraging the innovative technology of Blockchain & providing users with

- Highest degree of legitimacy for the digital collectible they own and

- Proof of ownership

PT Barnum would be a good reminder here!

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 05-05-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:10 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
I’m so out of what is happening in modern day pop culture that I had to google Gal Gadot.
And...who is she? Lol
Old 05-05-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgannon View Post
And...who is she? Lol
Unattainable.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:44 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Gadot was in a couple of Fast and the Furious movies and then got her big break as Wonder Woman in the DC movies.

As said, the "base doesn't ship" refers to breakers only sending the insert and autographed cards, not the base cards that people used to make complete sets with. Just goes to the whole gambling aspect of case breaking, and I've been active in both vintage and modern breaking by buying spots.

Upper Deck ePack takes that even further letting you open up cases, boxes, or packs of cards online. The majority of the cards you're buying are digital pictures, but you get the inserts and autographed/memorabilia cards if you pay to have them shipped to you. Or you can trade them online or send them to COMC to sell without much of a cost.

The Panini Blockchain thing is even a bridge farther than that, where Panini is selling high end cards directly through their site (without being packed out) and giving the buyer a digital and physical copy of the card. The buyer can then sell the digital copy and keep the real one, or vice versa. The confusing part is that most buyers of the digital card probably think they're getting the real one as well. The site is not very clear that you're only buying pixels, and we all know that many eBay/online purchasers don't read the descriptions of what they're purchasing.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:41 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Personally breaking is just another form of gambling and if you don't know the breakers rep you can seriously get screwed. Many stories of breakers swapping out cards - yes live on video no less...non shippers and "lost packages."

On the positive side they bring new eyes to the hobby and keep the manufacturers producing new product..

On the negative side they do end up grabbing allocations away from LCS's and other buyers down the line. Thus making buying newer more desirable products more expensive for everyone...

The real winners are the manufacturers...

And for those who don't know who Gal Gadot is - shame! lol
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:25 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcmac View Post
I knew you guys were old, but I didn't realize you were dead
I think her sub par acting (the Fast and Furious movies are horrible) keeps her from being especially well known.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:33 AM
Jim B.

I think sub par is being very generous.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:13 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
I think her sub par acting (the Fast and Furious movies are horrible) keeps her from being especially well known.
Who cares? I'm an old guy and she is hot hot hot.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:44 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
Who cares? I'm an old guy and she is hot hot hot.
Just people with taste... and "hot hot hot"??? I think you need to get out more Frank.

Last edited by Huysmans; 05-06-2020 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:59 AM
Brian K

Default Enjoying the responses as much as the article.

Quote:
Gents, if you are looking to Fast and Furious and Wonder Woman for "good acting/performances" you might want to re-assess you selections in movies when going to blockbuster video for the weekend cassettes.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:17 AM
Al Richter

When you look at the box office results for the F&F franchise and Wonder Woman you can not help being amazed at how little regard people apparently have for good acting
Old 05-06-2020, 10:22 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks87 View Post
Gents, if you are looking to Fast and Furious and Wonder Woman for "good acting/performances" you might want to re-assess you selections in movies when going to blockbuster video for the weekend cassettes.
You're right... this is 2020, what was I thinking? The masses seek and require very little to no quality in entertainment these days. Expecting even decent acting in huge Hollywood films... how ridiculous of me.

"When you look at the box office results for the F&F franchise and Wonder Woman you can not help being amazed at how little regard people apparently have for good acting"

Exactly Al... it is baffling.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:37 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
So yesterday you didn't know who she was and today you are a critic? What, were you up all night watching Fast and Furious movies?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2020, 10:59 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
So yesterday you didn't know who she was and today you are a critic? What, were you up all night watching Fast and Furious movies?

You must be her agent. And NO ONE can stay up "all night" watching Fast and Furious movies without previously having a lobotomy... no one!
Old 05-06-2020, 11:05 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
ok, I’ll change the subject. I believe that it’s Gal Gadot, not Gail. Unless there’s somebody named Gail who’s also pretty attractive.
More negativity

Old 05-07-2020, 08:24 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
You must be her agent. And NO ONE can stay up "all night" watching Fast and Furious movies without previously having a lobotomy... no one!
Haha, I haven't been able to sit through enough Fast and Furious to critique her acting abilities, so I do appreciate that you've suffered through that for us to offer your analysis.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:25 PM
Tim Odeen

I love the F&F series, as well as many of my friends. The series isn't about acting. It's about cars, rscing, action, explosions, exotic locations. It was never meant to win an academy award for its script. It was meant to appeal to 12 - 30 year olds. Over 20 years it has brought in pop culture icons like rappers, wrestlers, and actors from other cultures. It has worldwide appeal. As for Gal Gadot, she has international leverage due to her association with the F&F series and was a great choice for Wonder Woman. Plus, she is a better actor than Vin Diesl will ever be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 05-07-2020, 09:12 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I love the F&F series, as well as many of my friends. The series isn't about acting. It's about cars, rscing, action, explosions, exotic locations. It was never meant to win an academy award for its script. It was meant to appeal to 12 - 30 year olds. Over 20 years it has brought in pop culture icons like rappers, wrestlers, and actors from other cultures. It has worldwide appeal. As for Gal Gadot, she has international leverage due to her association with the F&F series and was a great choice for Wonder Woman. Plus, she is a better actor than Vin Diesl will ever be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
What? Pshaw. Nobody could have played Riddick better than Diesel.

Stay with me Jack.