NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 09-05-2020, 12:52 PM
Dave

Default "The Arena" Publishing Corp. - c. 1930 Boxing Premiums

I commented on this in my Auction thread, but I decided to post a separate thread here for archival/research purposes, that anybody else who has run across these can possibly add to the checklist of known examples/variations.

Ok, I believe I have figured out a mystery that has been eluding me for about 15 years or so. I'd had a couple packets of Group 1 sets, and several loose singles from a random collection I picked up at least 15 years ago or so.

Looking back in my records, it looks like I sold one of the "Group 1" sets back in 2007.....probably for not very much.

This week I posted what I believe was a complete Group 1 set of premiums on Ebay, and offered them out as singles.

I listed these not really expecting much interest because they seemed to be an un-identified issue, and are a bit primitive looking.

Got more interest then I expected (granted this is boxing, so still nothing like if this was an unknown baseball issue), it piqued my curiosity and got my brain going a bit more on it.

The address on the envelope packet originated out of Philadelphia. This seems to be the type of set that might have been given away as part of a promotion. If they were sold, I doubt it would have been for much, as the quality was more supplement/insert type, and not really of photographic quality.

Then I thought of publications this might have been attached to, that existed during that time period. Ring Magazine, Self-Defense, Boxing Blade, Referee...............none of those locations matched.

Then I thought of "The Arena". An attractive publication of the era, that tended to focus on Boxing and Wrestling, but also threw in a fair share of Baseball, Football, Physical Culture and other various sports.

Opened up the first page of the first issue I was able to dig up, and right there in the table of contents was the exact address listed on the mailing envelope for these premiums. I haven't found the ad these originated from yet, but this is definitely solid evidence this is where they came from.

More to come.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:57 PM
Dave

There must be at least 3 series of these out there, but the only one I can dig up evidence for is this "Group 3" of Barbados Joe Walcott I found in my files.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C1930sBoxingPremium22BarbadosJoeWalcott.jpg (35.1 KB, 50 views)
Old 09-05-2020, 03:26 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Fantastic sleuthing. Saves me some work. They will go into the next edition of the catalog in the "M" section.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-06-2020, 11:39 AM
Dave

Group 1 Checklist

TOMMY LOUGHRAN
FRANKIE GENARO
MAXIE ROSENBLOOM (Note - Known examples do not have a "Group 1" designation on it. Likely a printing oversight)
JACK SHARKEY
JACK KID BERG
BENNY BASS
MICKEY WALKER
PANAMA AL BROWN
TONY CANZONERI
YOUNG CORBETT III
VINCE DUNDEE
PRIMO CARNERA
BATTLING BATTALINO
MIDGET WOLGAST
YOUNG JACK THOMPSON