NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-25-2021, 05:26 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
1960's Topps Total - 5602/6000 = 93%
1961, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969 - 1990 Topps Complete
1967 Topps 567/609
1964 Topps 495/598
1963 Fleer Complete
1963 Topps 450/576
1962 Topps 473/598
1960 Topps 570/572
I love your '60s collection. If you combine it with my '50s, we have....well still not as much great stuff as Al Richter (damn him), but still something awful good
Old 01-25-2021, 06:54 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
Now on to the '65 baseball set
Not sure what your condition requirements are, but I've got at least 100 '65s in G-VG condition that you can have for the cost of shipping. Also, in an earlier post you said you were thinking about starting 1963 Fleer. I just finished my signed 1963 Fleer set (no Clemente, because who are we kidding here), so I have some mid grade and higher commons from that set.

My set progress:

1956, 1970-1979 - complete
1955 - 185/206 (89%)
1960 - 515/572 (90%)
1965 - 518/598 (87%)
1968 - 596/598 (99.7%)

Last edited by carlsonjok; 01-25-2021 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 01-26-2021, 09:56 AM
Jay Shelton

Working on the following sets:

1974 Topps baseball 570/660 (this is my second time around for this set)
1968 Topps football 205/219 (unfortunately one of the 14 I'm still missing is the elusive first series checklist card...I refuse to pay over $15 for a checklist, and they are going for $50 and up)
1951 Bowman football 91/144 (slowly but surely on this one, and I have the major star cards so far...)
Old 01-26-2021, 02:47 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
I love your '60s collection. If you combine it with my '50s, we have....well still not as much great stuff as Al Richter (damn him), but still something awful good
Thanks John, that would be super cool to see...it would be cool if we could all gather with all our stuff and just check it all out...and yeah, Al is on another plain...life goals!

Can't wait to hold the 6000th card! My last 70's card was 1971 Don Baylor RC...never will forget that.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 01-27-2021, 12:55 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
I finished my 61's last summer...what a journey. Buying HOFers basically 3 times and dealing with the high numbers, you will feel super accomplished when your done. Getting any Mantle is a good day...

BTW...I took my time on the highs, knew what I wanted to pay and after multiple snipes I eventually put them all together in really nice shape at the price I wanted to pay. Where I probably over paid was some of the AS cards at the end...Ford, Brooks, Kaline...I just bought BINs that were a stretch...should have had more patience. I always get ancy at the end...
I have always liked that set a lot. I've never tried to build it because I don't think I could do much better than probably vg or maybe vgex ish. So, I haven't tackled it, but I always think of it. Kudos to you for doing it!
Old 01-28-2021, 12:52 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Thanks John, that would be super cool to see...it would be cool if we could all gather with all our stuff and just check it all out...and yeah, Al is on another plain...life goals!

Can't wait to hold the 6000th card! My last 70's card was 1971 Don Baylor RC...never will forget that.
My final one for the '50s the other day was a '57 Juan Pizarro. Seemed to be a slight hoarding thing going on w/ it recently on ebay for low/mid grade ones, but I caught a set break by someone in a fb group.

I'm nowhere near in the '60s and '70s. Have a '67, '71, '73, '75, '78. Loooong way to go. Plus those are most of my favorites from the era, so not nearly as much motivation
Old 01-28-2021, 05:33 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
My final one for the '50s the other day was a '57 Juan Pizarro. Seemed to be a slight hoarding thing going on w/ it recently on ebay for low/mid grade ones, but I caught a set break by someone in a fb group.

I'm nowhere near in the '60s and '70s. Have a '67, '71, '73, '75, '78. Loooong way to go. Plus those are most of my favorites from the era, so not nearly as much motivation
Wow, Juan Pizarro for all your 50s...that's awesome and would have never guessed. My last card for my initial just 57 set was Koufax, then I sold set. Shouldn't have done that...lol.

You certainly have a great start...67 is the big boy and 71 is ROUGH. I'd recommend you do the 66 set...I believe the highs are still not at the value they should be, and I think that set is completely underated. Love that set, and would compliment your 67!

Old 01-30-2021, 12:27 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Finished my 1960 Topps set...finally! Got sniped 5 times on the 561 Al Kaline AS and finally scored a nice one. Focus now is on the 1964 Topps...one step closer to the 60's being complete. I feel like I am competing with twice as many set collectors than last year...haha. Good for the hobby, tough on us!

Old 01-30-2021, 03:02 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

I am down to only needing 2 for my 1954 tops set and 6 for my 1954 Red Heart set.
1964 is off to a good start as well with about 150 so far
Old 02-02-2021, 04:05 PM
Jeff H

Quote:
Finished my 1960 Topps set...finally! Got sniped 5 times on the 561 Al Kaline AS and finally scored a nice one. Focus now is on the 1964 Topps...one step closer to the 60's being complete. I feel like I am competing with twice as many set collectors than last year...haha. Good for the hobby, tough on us!

Nice set John. It's kind of odd to me that the last card that you needed was that Kaline. I have 3 of them setting on my desk. I was a big Kaline fan when I was younger.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:36 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiw98 View Post
Nice set John. It's kind of odd to me that the last card that you needed was that Kaline. I have 3 of them setting on my desk. I was a big Kaline fan when I was younger.
That would have been nice to know Jeff, I would have made an offer...

I am a huge Kaline fan as well. I have an employee in Detroit who literally grew up with Al as his idol. When he passed, I shipped my only autographed card to him (psa 73 Topps) as I knew he would need it more than me. That was a great moment. He held a zoom meeting with around 25 guys and we toasted Mr. Kaline and the card...the boys from Detroit area were very emotional. Cool moment and showed what he meant to a lot of people.

So that card was on a BIN for $32. My goal was to beat the BIN for my last card. 5 TIMES with cards equal but no better exceeded the $32 mark, a couple close to $50. I finally said screw it, bought the BIN! Not sure how that became the last card, always funny how the last card happens. I usually buy the big cards first...

Old 02-10-2021, 03:10 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Wow, Juan Pizarro for all your 50s...that's awesome and would have never guessed. My last card for my initial just 57 set was Koufax, then I sold set. Shouldn't have done that...lol.

You certainly have a great start...67 is the big boy and 71 is ROUGH. I'd recommend you do the 66 set...I believe the highs are still not at the value they should be, and I think that set is completely underated. Love that set, and would compliment your 67!
Thanks! I have more pride in my '67 and '71 than most others. And since I'm not a Rose fan (foresee only wanting to spend '63 kind of $ on one that's been run over by a dump truck), I could quit the hobby with that '67 being my only '60s one and be content.

Was just able to find exactly the deal on the kind of '70 set that I hoped to (which is not easy, as it's fairly popular and can be tough to find at a price that's fair vs. the underlying breakup value).

So now halfway through the '70s, and it's the five that I prefer the most. Motivation to get the rest will be lacking
Old 02-10-2021, 05:38 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Thanks! I have more pride in my '67 and '71 than most others. And since I'm not a Rose fan (foresee only wanting to spend '63 kind of $ on one that's been run over by a dump truck), I could quit the hobby with that '67 being my only '60s one and be content.

Was just able to find exactly the deal on the kind of '70 set that I hoped to (which is not easy, as it's fairly popular and can be tough to find at a price that's fair vs. the underlying breakup value).

So now halfway through the '70s, and it's the five that I prefer the most. Motivation to get the rest will be lacking
I can't tell you how much it helped me reading this post. Here's my deal: I have a complete '53 Topps set. Then I am working on '54 Topps (have the big boys), '55 Topps (7 shy of complete), '52 Bowman (4 shy of complete), and '55 Bowman (25% complete but have Mantle, Mays, and Aaron). '50 Bowman is probably going to happen, as I have Jackie and Yogi. I also have a few '56 Topps stars and commons and would like that.

However, prices aren't exactly going down these days, and I am trying to not freak out. I am coming to the realization that I probably won't be able to round out the 50s, let alone collect the 60s sets I like. I am even considering dropping down to VG (or even G in places) to give myself a fighting chance of going a little further. Even at that, I am realizing I'm not going to be able to do it all and am learning to accept that and be content with what I am able to collect.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2021, 01:55 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
I can't tell you how much it helped me reading this post. Here's my deal: I have a complete '53 Topps set. Then I am working on '54 Topps (have the big boys), '55 Topps (7 shy of complete), '52 Bowman (4 shy of complete), and '55 Bowman (25% complete but have Mantle, Mays, and Aaron). '50 Bowman is probably going to happen, as I have Jackie and Yogi. I also have a few '56 Topps stars and commons and would like that.

However, prices aren't exactly going down these days, and I am trying to not freak out. I am coming to the realization that I probably won't be able to round out the 50s, let alone collect the 60s sets I like. I am even considering dropping down to VG (or even G in places) to give myself a fighting chance of going a little further. Even at that, I am realizing I'm not going to be able to do it all and am learning to accept that and be content with what I am able to collect.

What makes it even easier to be content is that we've been fortunate enough to have a lot of our big boys already. Most set work is still really downhill from there, even in this market.

It's one thing to pay $250 for a '77 set that would've cost $150 before covid. But paying 5 grand for Mays or Jackie cards that were $1000 a year ago? That's an incredibly tough pill to swallow. I know I couldn't do it.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:28 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
What makes it even easier to be content is that we've been fortunate enough to have a lot of our big boys already. Most set work is still really downhill from there, even in this market.

It's one thing to pay $250 for a '77 set that would've cost $150 before covid. But paying 5 grand for Mays or Jackie cards that were $1000 a year ago? That's an incredibly tough pill to swallow. I know I couldn't do it.
Agreed. I do have pretty much all of the big cards to the sets I am working on. Of course, there are some HOF cards left to buy but nothing crippling. Whenever I start to build a set, I have always tried to get the big ones first because if it took me two or three years to build a set, those key cards would have risen even more during that time. Even in this market mid and lower grade commons and semi stars are still affordable.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:08 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default Set Collectors - Report in your progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Whenever I start to build a set, I have always tried to get the big ones first ...
Robert provides a good lead-in here.

Hi guys. I haven't ever posted much in set builder threads, because historically - since about age 11 or 12 anyway when I first got into old cards - I have been mostly about the stars and HOF'ers - basically a singles collector.

However as time has gone by, I've realized as I get older (I'm about to turn 44...) that it would really be a shame not to put together at least one vintage set that I like. That's what led me to choose 1972 last year - the set is older than I am, but by far my favorite of the 1970's. I just love how the psychedelic design seems to represent the era so well. And, as Robert pointed out - I'm kind of taking the tactic of getting the big cards first so as to give myself a downhill run in terms of difficulty. I already had the Nolan Ryan and a few other cards in '72, so here and there have been buying common lots. I'm not far enough in to be organized enough to have an exact count yet, but I'm guessing I'm somewhere at 150/787 on this, the original postwar "monster".

'72 really should be enough for someone who is notoriously bad at organizing things, but if you will checkout my avatar - you will see my latest prized possession. You know where that thought leads: "If you have the '67 Seaver, why wouldn't you go after the rest of the set?" This may be insane, but a few weeks ago I decided I was going to chase '67 as well. In some self-destructive way, I like the idea that the set is more difficult because of those high numbers. Anyway, with '67 I'm just getting started, but in addition to the Seaver I have maybe 25 VG range commons, and some of the bigger names on the way.

Condition - I'm not going to be any kind of snob with '67, since the high numbers themselves there can act as expensive star cards if you go for everything in EX-MT or anything like that. So on the whole there I think I want a VG range set, with the stars EX or better if I can swing that. '72 I started nicer - my stars on average are probably EX-MT or better, so I'm going to try to do the commons average in EX - assuming this market bubble we are living through right now does not extend it's insanity to 1970's cards.

Thoughts? Honestly I'm here mainly for encouragement. I can't tell you how many times over the past 25 years or so even as an adult collector - I've started and then quickly abandoned the idea of doing a vintage set. I really just feel like the time is right - and if I don't get moving on this idea now, it will probably never happen.

Thanks!

As Leon would say, every thread needs some pictures:

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-11-2021 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:33 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
You know where that thought leads: "If you have the '67 Seaver, why wouldn't you go after the rest of the set?" This may be insane, but a few weeks ago I decided I was going to chase '67 as well. In some self-destructive way, I like the idea that the set is more difficult because of those high numbers. Anyway, with '67 I'm just getting started, but in addition to the Seaver I have maybe 25 VG range commons, and some of the bigger names on the way.

Condition - I'm not going to be any kind of snob with '67, since the high numbers themselves there can act as expensive star cards if you go for everything in EX-MT or anything like that. So on the whole there I think I want a VG range set, with the stars EX or better if I can swing that.

Thoughts? Honestly I'm here mainly for encouragement. I can't tell you how many times over the past 25 years or so even as an adult collector - I've started and then quickly abandoned the idea of doing a vintage set. I really just feel like the time is right - and if I don't get moving on this idea now, it will probably never happen.

Thanks!
Bad news out of the way first:

The '67 is a valuable set that's an expensive build. Without Seaver, it should cost around $3500-$4000 to get the rest in a raw VG-EX. Maybe 60% of that is in the remaining high numbers, even without Tom and with just 75 to get, because about half of them command $20 -$40 each even for mid-grade commons. You'll likely be hen-picking here and there and losing hair to get to the finish line.

Good news:

Along with the other advantages of having a '67, it's a great candidate for what you want (conditionwise). It's not much more expensive to get the highs in ex-ex/mt as it is in VG. And really you could say that about the whole set. You could build something really nice to go with that Seaver w/o spending a bunch more than my 3500-4000 estimate.

And of course, you're getting what many feel (myself included) to be clearly the best set of the '60s. Rookie cards of two of the very best players of the time, the best high numbers of the decade, and every superstar imaginable (as long as you're ok with a small sliver of Koufax!)

Bottom line: the advantages definitely outweigh the disadvantages, especially for your spot.

I'd go for it
Old 02-11-2021, 12:52 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
It's not much more expensive to get the highs in ex-ex/mt as it is in VG. And really you could say that about the whole set. You could build something really nice to go with that Seaver w/o spending a bunch more than my 3500-4000 estimate.

And of course, you're getting what many feel (myself included) to be clearly the best set of the '60s.
Thanks. It's at least the second time recently I've heard mentioned that the high numbers are not that much more expensive in EX over and above VG...

I would agree '67 probably takes most top honors for the nicest set of the 60's in terms of the photography and simple design - although I do love those '65 team flags as well.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:23 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Thanks for the write ups guys...being in the middle of the 67 battle I can relate...and it's the second time i've built this set, gluton for punishment! I can tell you I totally agree, the highs are like stars. If you know anything about this set you'll know how excited I was to recently snipe a Demeter and an Alomar...haha...I know each of these by heart as I know you guys do to!

I got 40 left, and its a hell of a hill. I usually do start with the big cards but this time I had lots of commons to start and went from there. Last time I had a BEAUTIFUL raw Seaver that I can't believe I sold...so I am on that hunt...now...

Old 02-12-2021, 06:42 AM
D@v3 W@u9h

I'm working on 67 too, and just passed 500. My most recent additions are Alomar and Grant. Still a big job ahead as I'm missing Seaver, Carew, Mantle, B Robby (looking for these guys graded) and about half the highs, and nothing's getting cheaper.

I find it interesting how infrequently 67s are offered here on the BST despite the popularity of the set and the number of us who are working on it.

Best of luck to you guys who are also in the hunt!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alomar.jpg (37.1 KB, 225 views)
1971T NM+ 498/752 (66%)
1954B EXMT+ 82/225 (36%)
1968T NM 173/598 (29%)
1975T NMMT 186/660 (28%)
1969T NM 125/664 (19%)
1971OPC NM 108/752 (14%)
Old 02-12-2021, 06:56 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthegum View Post
Still a big job ahead as I'm missing Seaver, Carew, Mantle, B Robby (looking for these guys graded) and about half the highs, and nothing's getting cheaper.
The Carew RC is ridiculous anymore. I don't historically think of that as being quite on par w/ the Seaver, but a guy on eBay this week was wanting close to $700 for a PSA 4.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-12-2021 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:28 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
The Carew RC is ridiculous anymore. I don't historically think of that as being quite on par w/ the Seaver, but a guy on eBay this week was wanting close to $700 for a PSA 4.
Looks like a couple of PSA 4s sold for just 320ish two days ago though. Wouldn't have minded even upgrading mine for that, since it has the typical wacky Carew centering
Old 02-12-2021, 09:38 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Looks like a couple of PSA 4s sold for just 320ish two days ago though. Wouldn't have minded even upgrading mine for that, since it has the typical wacky Carew centering
Carews in BIN format are above my price point anymore. I may have to wait out an auction. I will agree the centering on all '67's is tough, due to the fact that the borders are so narrow to begin with. Add the ever-present tilt problem in, and it becomes even more difficult. For my set, I'm going for print clarity and color before centering. I don't like badly OC or miscut cards, but 70/30 one way is not going to bother me.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-12-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:07 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

I am down to 100 even for my 54 topps set

Down to 3 on the 1954 Red Heart set

Down to 9 on my 1953 topps set
(really 8 as I have just about given up on ever having the Mays)
Old 02-12-2021, 07:18 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
I am down to 100 even for my 54 topps set

Down to 3 on the 1954 Red Heart set

Down to 9 on my 1953 topps set
(really 8 as I have just about given up on ever having the Mays)

How are you doing on your 64 set?

Old 02-12-2021, 08:00 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

I need 100 to complete including some stars but I have all the big boys. Also have a decent amount of the highs.
You? I already got rid of my dupes.

Quote:
How are you doing on your 64 set?
Old 02-12-2021, 08:08 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Cool, dang, your ripping that one out! Are you doing 54s too or did you mean 64s? I am down to 36, but DO need some big boys...Mantle, Rose...I usually get the Mantle first! Co-doing 67s at the same time is NOT helping...lol.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:14 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

I won't even try 67!
I sold my Clemente rookie (56 is my fave anyways and so I had some cash on hand and a friend who is a dealer was happy to take it off my hands haha. I finished 54 and made the big dent in 64 and 53!

Quote:
Cool, dang, your ripping that one out! Are you doing 54s too or did you mean 64s? I am down to 36, but DO need some big boys...Mantle, Rose...I usually get the Mantle first! Co-doing 67s at the same time is NOT helping...lol.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:26 PM
J0hn H@rper

Current build here (probably one not mentioned much):

'48 Bowman

Always had Yogi. Eventually got Musial. Then someone sold me a lot of about half the set recently.

You know what will happen at that point. But always had in the back of my mind to get the whole set anyway. More than happy getting the little brother of everyone's favorite set of children's drawings from that year (yep not a fan of the '48 Leaf)

Will make due with Stan, Yogi, and Spahn rookies!

Schoendienst is the biggest card I have left now, and it's surprisingly tough.

34/48
Old 02-13-2021, 07:01 AM
Dan Paradis

Default 1970's sets

I've never been a set collector, always looking for individual cards of HOF'ers. This post inspired me so a few months ago I decided to go after 1970 Topps sets. After all, with COVID restrictions there was nothing better to do.

I have all of them finished except about 100 cards for the 1970 and 1971 sets and a few cards for the 1972 set. There's a local show next Saturday so hopefully, I can get most of what I need.

Thanks to an N54 board member it looks like I'm starting the 1965 set next. Also, I have over 100 PSA graded 1969's so it looks like that set will follow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5567.jpg (21.0 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5569.jpg (12.4 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5570.jpg (12.8 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5571.jpg (12.0 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5572.jpg (12.2 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5573.jpg (11.9 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-02-13_8-43-59.jpg (77.7 KB, 202 views)
Old 02-13-2021, 12:44 PM
Ste.ve J0hn.son

All ex-mt and above:

I'm down to 3 high numbers to complete 1972. It's only taken 49 years.

I need 28 to complete 1971, mostly mid-highs. But a 1971 Bob Garibaldi in raw 6 or 7 should not be $10. So we'll hold on that.

I need about 80 to complete 1966, about 25 highs. Plus Mays and Aaron. May never happen.

That would give me complete from 64-65-66, skip 67, then 1968 to 2012 when I abandoned the new stuff. I have a few upgrades in those years to go, but again, that's a hold for now.

I have a nice 1964 partial that I might use to underwrite it and a nice 1961 complete set that I'll also move. I thought about upgrading the 61 set, but it'd be mostly moving from some ex-range stars to ex-mt. Especially in the high numbers, it doesn't make sense. Plus I don't like the 61s.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:14 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Nice work Dan! I love those binders and that's the first I've seen graded cards in binders? Great work on the 1970 set...I love mine. My birth year so when I built that one I was super picky...EXMT only and had as much upgrading as I did building. Great set, first post Mantle, but a killer Ryan. For a Seattle guy like me the Pilot cards are special too...

nwfsteve...great update, thats a hell of a run. Don't give up on those 66's...just chip away here and there...patience on the big sets!

Old 02-13-2021, 09:15 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Current build here (probably one not mentioned much):

'48 Bowman

Always had Yogi. Eventually got Musial. Then someone sold me a lot of about half the set recently.

You know what will happen at that point. But always had in the back of my mind to get the whole set anyway. More than happy getting the little brother of everyone's favorite set of children's drawings from that year (yep not a fan of the '48 Leaf)

Will make due with Stan, Yogi, and Spahn rookies!

Schoendienst is the biggest card I have left now, and it's surprisingly tough.

34/48

John...how do your store your 48's? That set has always intrigued me...

Old 02-14-2021, 07:34 AM
Bob F.

I'm currently trying to piece together T206 (easy backs) and 1967 O-Pee-Chee sets. You'd think I'd be further along with the OPC's, but alas, you'd be unbelievable wrong (C'MON!).

T206 - 40.2%
1967 O-Pee-Chee - 6.9%
Old 02-14-2021, 01:56 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
John...how do your store your 48's? That set has always intrigued me...
I just use card savers for any of the early undersized raw Bowman cards.

Probably not the best idea, but especially as someone who doesn't like binders (my '51s even came in one w/ the custom sheets for that size, yet I quickly plucked them out like they were on fire), I haven't looked into a better solution yet
Old 02-14-2021, 02:29 PM
Robert

Working about three sets right now with one in wait. I am extremely close to being complete on the 1966 Topps set just waiting on the mail to get the last few cards. I just love this set and the design of the cards. The backs are a bit tough to read sometimes but still its my joy. The 67 Set is getting closer. I listed a 77 card lot on the BST boards in hopes to try and find some trades and made a few nice trades so far but here I have 461/609 so far. The Seaver, Carew and a few highs will hurt but I have some trade bait HOF rookies im holding on too to help with cost of that when the time arrives. The 1964 Set is also one of my favorites I am working on and so far I am 387/587. Its quite fun building sets. I hope to get close to completion on the 67 set this year with the 64 coming in behind that. Anyone looking to trade hit me up I have lot of 65 topps and quite a few other years if I can help anyone out.
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 02-14-2021, 03:30 PM
Al Stein

Yep, I have a bunch of commons available for sale or trade too. 1964-1970. Mostly mid grades, but some lower grades too. And have some NM and better from 1964, 1965 and 1970.

Let me know if you need anything. The 64s are especially nice, I plan to put some scans up on BST.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2021, 03:59 PM
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Yep, I have a bunch of commons available for sale or trade too. 1964-1970. Mostly mid grades, but some lower grades too. And have some NM and better from 1964, 1965 and 1970.

Let me know if you need anything. The 64s are especially nice, I plan to put some scans up on BST.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Working on my updated 64 and 67 Checklists now...……...will send to you. Can you PM your email to me. I am mainly looking for strong VGEX to EXMT but will see what ya got. NM may be too good for the sets I am doing.
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 02-18-2021, 01:10 PM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
Nice work Dan! I love those binders and that's the first I've seen graded cards in binders? Great work on the 1970 set...I love mine. My birth year so when I built that one I was super picky...EXMT only and had as much upgrading as I did building. Great set, first post Mantle, but a killer Ryan. For a Seattle guy like me the Pilot cards are special too...

nwfsteve...great update, thats a hell of a run. Don't give up on those 66's...just chip away here and there...patience on the big sets!
Thanks! Yes, those are graded cards in binders. I'm trying to get 8 - 12 PSA graded HOF'ers for each set. I'm not doing those graded card holders any more (don't think). They are way too expensive.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:29 PM
Brian K

Default progress?!

1934-36 Diamond Stars - 6 cards away, 36 cards in for grading
1910 Mecca T210's - 6 cards away, 30 for the master set
1952 Berk Ross - I have bought 1 card, but I have good intentions
T206 - 206/520 advancing slowly, glaciers move faster

1948/49 Leaf Baseball - Complete
1954 Red Heart - Complete
1963 Bazooka All Time Greats - Complete
1940 Superman- Complete
1966 Batman (Black Bat) - Complete

The hunt is on, especially with prices going up, and my spending money is not matching the pace.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:08 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks87 View Post
1934-36 Diamond Stars - 6 cards away, 36 cards in for grading
1910 Mecca T210's - 6 cards away, 30 for the master set
1952 Berk Ross - I have bought 1 card, but I have good intentions
T206 - 206/520 advancing slowly, glaciers move faster

1948/49 Leaf Baseball - Complete
1954 Red Heart - Complete
1963 Bazooka All Time Greats - Complete
1940 Superman- Complete
1966 Batman (Black Bat) - Complete

The hunt is on, especially with prices going up, and my spending money is not matching the pace.
Completing the Leaf set is quite an accomplishment. I have completed the non-short prints and have a little less than half the short prints, but I doubt I will ever be able to afford a Paige to actually complete the set.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:00 PM
J0hn H@rper

45/48 now on the '48 Bowman. Just three commons left.

Seems strange having a set that fits in your hip pocket
Old 02-19-2021, 06:23 AM
Brian K

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Completing the Leaf set is quite an accomplishment. I have completed the non-short prints and have a little less than half the short prints, but I doubt I will ever be able to afford a Paige to actually complete the set.
While I was working on it I kept posting on here that I was looking for the corner of a Paige to complete the set. Ironically enough, mired in the back pages of a Sunday Heritage sale, I was able to buy a borderless Paige, technically, everything EXCEPT the corners. My pockets are not deep, and I was able to pick it up for less than $900, but still had to sleep in the garage for a couple of weeks.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:44 AM
Bob F.

Quote:
...but still had to sleep in the garage for a couple of weeks.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:42 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
While I was working on it I kept posting on here that I was looking for the corner of a Paige to complete the set. Ironically enough, mired in the back pages of a Sunday Heritage sale, I was able to buy a borderless Paige, technically, everything EXCEPT the corners. My pockets are not deep, and I was able to pick it up for less than $900, but still had to sleep in the garage for a couple of weeks.
Maybe I can find the missing borders some day and buy them so I at least have part of a Paige.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:14 AM
Brian K

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Maybe I can find the missing borders some day and buy them so I at least have part of a Paige.
The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a slab containing just the borders graded AUTHENTIC out there somewhere!
Old 03-03-2021, 06:15 AM
Gary

Progress is a flexible term, right? I finished the 60T and actively working through 55T now (but the Clemente might have to wait a few years). My run of Kelloggs is coming along nicely.

1930 W554 44%
1955T 69%
1955B 26%
1960T 100% Complete
1961T 41%
1962 Salada Coins 30%
1964T Giants 73%
1970T 60% + Booklets 67% + Scratch Offs 13%
1973T 73%
1975T Mini 49%

1977 Hostess Panels 73%

Kelloggs: 1970 47%, 1972 87%, 1972 ATG 100%, 1973 100%, 1974 16%, 1979-83 100%
Old 03-03-2021, 07:26 AM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

1953 topps (need only 1: Willie Mays and I pick it up on the 20th from a dealer friend who hooked me up with an unbelievable price. He is even taking a loss. Man it is great to have awesome friends!)

1954 Red Heart (need only 1: Roy McMillan)

1964 topps (need 50: hoping to put a major dent at that card show in 2 1/2 weeks

Last edited by campyfan39; 03-03-2021 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:34 PM
J0hn H@rper

'48 Bowman set is complete.

Was glad to get the Musial finally in hand....one of those slabbed 2s (SGC) that's the typical "what is wrong with this". When you know they saw something, but I have tilted at every angle and can't see anything wrong with the surface, and otherwise it's a 3.5 or 4

At least it has that eye appeal regardless *shrug*
Old 03-03-2021, 06:31 PM

I am about 25 cards shy of completing my 67 set.
I need 3 more 66s... Craig, Tebbetts and G Perry
Need 5 more 64 stand ups to complete set
Need 1 more 69 super. Rich Allan
Need 5 more 54 red hearts
Need a 2 68 upgrades... all star Brooks and Roberto
Need 1 65 bazooka panel- Koufax

Last edited by quitcrab; 03-03-2021 at 07:55 PM.