NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-05-2021, 10:08 AM
Nate

Default Some SGC thoughts and questions (T206)

I'm a fairly newer collector but with the help of this site and eBay i've recently put together a Tigers T206 set (minus the cobbs) over the last year or so. The goal for my display was to have every card graded by SGC, simply because I like the look of their new holders. However, as cards came available either raw, old SGC or PSA graded I would scoop them up to fill holes. I had two submissions to SGC. I was thinking the one I just got back would be the last one but maybe I was wrong.

Submission 1 - Lesson learned. Three of the crossovers I submitted were PSA cards that I asked to have the MIN grade be the same as the PSA grade. If it goes up great, but I didnt want to take a hit if they went down. I received all three cards back with "MIN grade not met" and was charged $90 for all three. That sucked.

Submission 2 - This was basically my last 12 cards to get re-holdered or crossed over for my display. The first thing I did was made sure that every cross over card was marked "ANY numerical grade". As long as they came back in a new SGC holder I was ready to accept my fate.

The first thing that was interesting was that I had a T206 Sam Crawford PSA 2. It was one of the cards that I got charged $30 for on submission one and came back as couldnt meet MIN grade. On this go round with ANY grade checked it came back as a SGC 2. Of course!

The next thing I noticed was 4 nice T206 PSA graded cards ALL came back at either 1 or 1/2 point lower than the PSA grade.

The last thing that frankly ticked me off a little was a T206 in a PSA 5 holder. I submitted it as ANY grade acceptable. It came back as couldnt meet min grade. WTF?

I just hoped this second submission would complete my display. Any thoughts on what the heck happened with this PSA 5 card?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7552.jpg (76.7 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by hatchetman325; 12-05-2021 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:10 AM

I very rarely submit cards (like 1-2x/year), and when I do, its almost always to SGC. I have never tried to cross a PSA to SGC, but i have crossed an SGC to a PSA, and PSA downgraded it. So, based on my limited experience and from what I read/hear from others, here are my thoughts:

1. Grading companies often downgrade a card submitted in a competitor's flip. Perhaps its because SGC's and PSA's standards are different, but I think, especially with PSA, they want to appear more difficult/better than SGC/the competitor

2. With all grading companies, the same card submitted 5 different times could get 5 different grades. This used to be the PSA game -- submit, dont like the grade, crack and submit, rinse and repeat., Eventually you may get that grader who gives you the grade you want.

3. Grading is a bullshit crapshoot. These companies are not always capable of detecting alterations -- in my opinion, PSA downright sucks/fails at it. And, even if the grading companies correctly "authenticate" the card, grading is subjective, and the people grading the cards are so diverse in terms or knowledge (or lack there of and they are all so busy and over-worked, that grades are very inconsistent. Also, a company's standards in 2021 are very different from 2015, which are totally different from 2008 -- so a 6 can look better than some 8's and worse than some 4s.

4. DONT submit. But cards that are already graded. This way you can buy the card you want in the holder you want, and its takes the unknown out of it.

On whole, I strongly prefer to SGC to PSA, especially when it comes to old and/or rare cards. But they all make mistakes and can be quite inconsistent.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 12-05-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:04 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

my 2 cents:
1) your cards were not downgraded because "SGC is a harder grader". nor would it be the case vice versa. grading is tougher today than even just a few years ago. I regularly cross/crack from PSA to SGC and they are downgraded most of the time.
2) grading is a crapshoot.
3) I am not sure I believe that crosses are downgraded due to grader biases. A lot of people think this, but I personally believe it is due to number 1 above- grading became a huge business recently, and it got tougher.

I also went with SGC , mainly because I want my cards displayed in the same holders. I now understand why PSA cards sell for a premium. its just easier to buy slabbed from your grader of choice - and PSA has a lot more cards.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236