NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 03-04-2021, 02:32 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Murder Among the Mormons - Netflix

Very interesting 3 part show, true story that some may recall taking place in the 80s in Salt Lake City. All about collectors of rare historical documents and one man's amazing forgeries that fooled the FBI, the LDS church, and all sorts of leading experts. The lengths this guy went to to forge historical documents was amazing. Babe Ruth fake signed balls and baseball cards would have been a walk in the park for this guy. And this was before everyone had a computer and laser printer and modern technology. Really left me wondering how much of the signed material in our collecting realm drawing massive prices is really just the fruits of someone else's amazing fraud.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 03-04-2021 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:17 AM

I caught this series the other day. I loved it. I was very surprised to see how the collecting world factored in to such a wild story.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:33 AM
Dave

Yeah, binged it in one night. I was skeptical based on the trailer and figured it was going to be another Netflix documentary that was way longer then it needed to be, given the material. The Cecil Hotel one, being the most recent example. Glad to be wrong.

A really great example of a likable sociopath.

I appreciated the detail they went into with the forgeries in the 3rd episode, though people not in the collectibles world, might have thought it too much information.

There was one particular document they showed, and as soon as they showed it, I thought, that's going to be the piece to take him down...........and it was. Wonder if anybody else had the same thoughts.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:59 AM

The Oath of the Freeman?

To be honest, I knew that guy was a fraudster from the start. It still blows my mind how badly people want to believe a good story. When they started talking about how this one random guy had managed to track down multiple needle in a haystack documents I knew there could be only one explanation for how he managed to always be in the right place at the right time.

Last edited by packs; 03-12-2021 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:36 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
The Oath of the Freeman?

To be honest, I knew that guy was a fraudster from the start. It still blows my mind how badly people want to believe a good story. When they started talking about how this one random guy had managed to track down multiple needle in a haystack documents I knew there could be only one explanation for how he managed to always be in the right place at the right time.

Yup, that's the one.

Yeah, I figured he was a crook from the beginning, but that's the one I looked at and went to myself............if this guy doesn't get busted for that, he never will.

Reeked of desperation.

Looked like a piece of old reproduction money you'd get out of a Stamp company ad when you were a kid.

Didn't surprise me the forensic document examiners (including the FBI) were fooled by him. It was the actual historians who crossed over into the forensic aspects that uncovered his shenanigans, and figured out that sh#t just didn't make sense.

Similar to how it shakes out in our hobby. The forensic document examiners are pretty much useless.

That he was faking stuff didn't surprise me.

Spoiler Alert below:

Not knowing the story ahead of time..........that he actually turned himself into a facsimile of a domestic terrorist, including blowing himself up, just to try and hide his "hobby" crimes........and then followed it up with such a detailed confession, kind of blew me away.

The ego of this guy..................unbelievable.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:23 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

One thing that really stuck with me from the show was one of the historians made a comment about “how we all wanted to believe what he told us”. Collectors suspending disbelief because you want the amazing to be discovered, get a huge rush from it, and don’t ask the hard questions. I see the same thing in our realm. 25 pristine cracker jacks appear out of nowhere with a story that they were discovered in an attic somewhere under a trunk, and the guy who found them
Wants to remain anonymous, and they are 105 years old and look like they were printed yesterday and never in a box of caramel candy. And an AH writes item up with reverend tones and everyone oohs and Ahhhs. Instead of taking a hard look. I think this is a blind spot many of us have.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:51 PM

Definitely. It was kind of scary too that the FBI and leading forensics people could be so literal in their examinations. This paper is old. This ink looks old. The letter must be real. Didn't leave me feeling too confident in the event I needed their help.

Last edited by packs; 03-12-2021 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:35 PM
Dave

Yeah, it is scary that nearly every "document forensic examiner" that has been discredited in our industry, are used regularly as courtroom witnesses and "experts".
Old 03-12-2021, 05:45 PM
Tim Odeen

You've got me hooked! I'm gonna have to watch.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo