NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Paul Hawk

Default Your most prized baseball related possession? This is mine...

Fellow Forumites:

I'm new here, but have enjoyed my time very much. Everyone has been very welcoming and helpful; thank you!

I have seen LOTS of great stuff here, and thought I would share with you my most prized baseball related possession. Here it is:

This is the first game ball my then four and A HALF year old (for you parents out there, you KNOW how important that half year is!) son's first game ball that was given to him after an official Tee Ball game! (Most of you probably missed it, it was only boradcasted on mom and dad's TV.)

Anyway, this is what I am most proud of. I have a lot of autographed baseballs, but this is my most prized.

A proud dad just had to share!

His name is Ewan (you can't see the "N") and he sweet spotted this baby for me!

Last edited by Clark7781; 02-17-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Chris Wassmuth

That's awesome! My son is 3 and a half and hasn't started t-ball yet. He has a little Cardinals baseball and bat set that we play with in the living room and he can knock the crap out of it! I can't wait to see him play for real.

I'm not sure I can narrow mine down to just one piece so I'm going to put up a couple:
1933 Kansas City Blues stock certificate signed by club secretary Tris Speaker and made out to Kansas City political figure Tom Pendergast

Limited edition Mickey Mantle signed '52 Topps photo
Old 02-17-2010, 05:09 PM

The piece of outfield wall from the old Alex Box Stadium, where they placed the retired number of the retiring coach, Skip Bertman:

Old 02-18-2010, 07:56 PM

Default Baseball fave possessions- Nolan Ryan game used 4th no-hitter ball & 5000th K mitt

It's pretty tough to narrow down a 38 year collection to one single item, but I would like to show you my two favorite pieces. Anyway, here goes:
1) A game used ball to Nolan Ryan's 4th career no-hitter on 6/1/75 at Anaheim. Ryan tied Sandy Koufax's alltime record of 4 no-hitters in this game. What makes this especially cool is the story and provenance behind the ball.

Frank Worth was a roving photographer in Southern California that frequently took photos for the California Angels and Los Angeles Dodgers. After Ryan had successfully no-hit the Baltimore Orioles 1-0, Worth was in the Angels home clubhouse to take some photos to commemorating the event. He suggested taking some photos of Ryan holding up 4 balls with zeros hand drawn on the balls with felt marker. His photo of Ryan holding up the 4 balls and smiling became a rather famous image. I have included a look at the photo to remind you what it looks like. My ball is the one in the upper left.

After the photo shoot Ryan signed this ball with a personalized inscription that reads: "To Frank Best Wishes Nolan Ryan". Worth added "6/1/75" next to huge zero. On a different panel Ryan wrote " Glad you were here for the 4th. Hope you are here for the 5th". Pretty prophetic on Ryan's part that he felt he would throw another one (5th no-hitter). To make this ball even more interesting is the fact that Ryan almost pulled off a Johnny Vander Meer in his very next game on 6/6/75 against the Milwaukee Brewers. HOF great and HR champ (no steroids) Hank Aaron busted up Ryan's no-hit effort in the 6th inning with Ryan settling for a 2-hit 6-0 shutout over the Brew Crew. Worth was also in attendance of this game and he had Hank Aaron sign another side panel and added the notation "6/6/75" afterwords. It's really a great piece of baseball history, and for a die-hard Angels fan I love owning this in my personal collection...
Old 02-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Anthony

Scott,

What an awesome story. That is a really neat ball. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:18 PM

Default Nolan Ryan's 5000th K game used mitt

Here are some photos of my other favorite piece in my collection. This is Nolan Ryan's game used mitt from his 5,000th strikeout on 8/22/89. Mostly everyone that follows baseball knows that fellow HOF'er Rickey Henderson became Ryan's 5,000 K milestone. I believe that Ryan used this mitt for all of the 1989 season, where he led the American League with 301 strikeouts (his sixth and final time he struck out 300 in a season), and also was the winning pitcher in the '89 All-Star game in Anaheim. The mitt exhibits tremendous use and came directly from Nolan Ryan with 100% rock solid provenance. I have included a photo of an iconic photo of Ryan immediately after the 5,000th K, where he his tipping his hat to the crazed Texas croud of 42,800 fans. I am currently working on getting an original photo from the photographer.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:48 PM

I am not a collector but I do play baseball myself and always love vintage baseball items. I came across these 2 pieces at a garage sale and bought them just because of how cool they looked. Later, I did research and found out that they have some value. Even if they turned out not to be valuable I would have still bought them just because of how cool they look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010425.jpg (30.0 KB, 439 views)
File Type: jpg P1010426.jpg (29.5 KB, 433 views)
File Type: jpg P1010433.jpg (27.5 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg P1010435.jpg (32.5 KB, 434 views)
File Type: jpg P1010436.jpg (28.5 KB, 432 views)