NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-23-2012, 10:59 PM

Thumbs up Lou Gehrig Autograph

I obtain this potential authentic Lou Gehrig autographed 1930's T.J.Hickey stamped Wilson Official Leaguer Baseball. I believe it is a minor league ball.
A bit of a story behind it. Rather then bore you with details, here is a picture. Do you think this could be authentic if so, what could it value be? If you look closely you can see the large top loop in the L of Lou. Some ink has faded on the first G in Gehrig, the large upper portion of the G can be seen by changing the angle of view or contrast on image.

Thanks for your assistance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6530 less.jpg (71.5 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6531.jpg (73.0 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg lou G.jpg (72.3 KB, 406 views)

Last edited by deep2deep; 12-23-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:05 AM
Scott

I don't like Gehrig's w that formation of the G. I don't think there are any/many Lou's w that type of "G".

Tho I can't see the ball that well, the signature I mean, I'd say no just based on that. But, there are many others to hopefully reply.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Matt

Based on what i can see, I dont believe its authentic
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 12-24-2012, 07:14 AM
David Linardy

Default Gehrig

Doesn't look like Gehrig's signature to me... probably penned harmlessly by the original donor...
Old 12-24-2012, 08:51 AM

Default JimStinson

I would guess not. Also something to be careful of is the "Compliments of" , This would often times indicate the item was being presented as a gift from but not nessesarily signed by the celebrity or athlete themselves.

Particularly true with old photos especially cabinet photos which at the time had FAR more value than the autograph so the photo was presented as a gift from, thus "compliments of".

In the case of the ball at the time it was presented and in the context of the time it had MORE value than the autograph, The ball may have been worth a couple bucks, the autograph nothing.

All that being said even if the ball were authentic due to condition its not going to be worth a heck of alot. Hope this helps
Old 12-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Richard Simon

I would never buy that ball.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 12-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Who the hell is Lou Goldberg?
Old 12-24-2012, 11:06 AM

With that said if not authentic it was likely presented to these individuals by Lou which in itself would make for a nice $100.00 keepsake. Do u agree?
Old 12-24-2012, 11:43 AM

Default JimStinson

Its going to cost me at least that much when I go to the chiropractor after trying to read the COA that accompanied the ball while balancing on my head upside down.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:48 PM

Thanks for your humor? Not really, but thanks for your input.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:08 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

deep,
No need to take offense. I think that's Jim's way of suggesting that, if you're going to upload a scan of the LOA, could you please rotate it so that it can be read easily? I started to try to read it, but gave up as it made my brain hurt (and since I wouldn't be able to give any good advice on the ball either way.)

Just remember that these are real live people you're asking for help and be considerate of their time and effort. If it means rotating a scan before uploading it, that seems a small price to pay for otherwise free advice.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:53 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep2deep View Post
Thanks for your humor? Not really, but thanks for your input.
No worries champ, Have a great Holiday ..
Old 12-26-2012, 07:41 AM
J@RR0D

It seems we're getting more and more people who join, ask if something is real, and then get snarky with established board members. That's too bad.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
It seems we're getting more and more people who join, ask if something is real, and then get snarky with established board members. That's too bad.
I think the problem is that because the opinion/opinions were/are given for FREE they are percieved as worthless and undeserving of respect.

If they had to shell out $150.00 and camp out by their mailbox for three months for the exact same "opinion" and the person rendering the opinion made themselves unavailable for feedback and inexcessible for comment it would not be held with such contempt.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
There is a head-scratching sense of entitlement in society in general.

I can't tell you how many emails I get from complete strangers with a subject line like "Is this Armstrong real?" and attached is a tiny image. Nothing else. No how-do-you dos, hellos, thanks or anything.

And if I do respond and the item is suspect (as it most often is), they want a detailed dissertation of "why" or they just plain get angry with me for delivering the bad news.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:18 AM

Default JimStinson

+100 absolutely correct !!!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:32 PM

I didn't mean to seem offensive. I am thankful for your time.

Tags
1930's baseball, lou gehrig, lou gehrig autograph