NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-20-2020, 03:25 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Default EBAY scammers

the problem with Ebay is they do not allow for a more comprehensive review process.
I just called out a seller who had a Jordan Star 101 up for auction, with only 1 picture of the front (no picture of the back!). Huge red flag because the back makes it easy to spot counterfeits. I have no intention of buying a raw Jordan from Ebay, but I do search them once in a while to look at prices and harass scammers.

I emailed the seller told him that it is suspicious to only shows a pic of the front. I ask to see the the back to determine authenticity because these are highly counterfeited. He sends me a pic, immediately backpedaling, saying he that he is a "hockey guy" and does not know basketball and is selling it for a friend.. Another huge red flag. I tell him its a counterfeit, he apologizes, takes it down, and tells me about his 100% positive rating - Red flag #3. As if someone (a guy who sells tons of cards) just posts a card for a friend with no research! Without googling Jordan Star and knowing its a $5k card at worst? Give me a break.

Is there anything that can be done about this nonsense? Shouldn't Ebay add their own negative reviews or penalties for sellers that post counterfeit items? The only way I can post a review is if I buy something - which obviously i am not going to do from these types of sellers. So basically there is no consequence for this seller, and he is still 100% positive.

Can we have a running list on Net54 where we can add scammers? I see posts here and there with names but it would be more powerful if they were compiled in 1 place
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 09-20-2020, 03:27 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Leon,
is this in the wrong place? can you help me move it?

sorry!
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Monster #236
Old 09-20-2020, 04:20 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Ebay is not in the business of authenticating items. They exist as a platform for others to sell items. They shouldn't be expected to be an expert in cards anymore than you would be an expert in identifying counterfeit Coach bags or PEZ dispensers. Given the volume of cards listed, there is no way Ebay could police everything and giving users the unilateral decision on what is acceptable is impractical. I would further add what makes you or me or Joe Bob down the street more of an expert and have a more valid opinion of the authenticity of a card more than the seller? Putting a list together on this site or any other also doesn't do anything to answer the question of whose opinion is more valid and what exactly makes a seller "bad". Does the lack of knowledge make a seller bad? How many fake items can a seller have before they are considered bad? How many errors do the TPG get before they are considered bad? I would further add, using a Star Jordan is also a really not a great example to make this point either since even PSA and SGC refuse to grade them.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 09-20-2020, 04:48 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Ebay is not in the business of authenticating items. They exist as a platform for others to sell items. They shouldn't be expected to be an expert in cards anymore than you would be an expert in identifying counterfeit Coach bags or PEZ dispensers. Given the volume of cards listed, there is no way Ebay could police everything and giving users the unilateral decision on what is acceptable is impractical. I would further add what makes you or me or Joe Bob down the street more of an expert and have a more valid opinion of the authenticity of a card more than the seller? Putting a list together on this site or any other also doesn't do anything to answer the question of whose opinion is more valid and what exactly makes a seller "bad". Does the lack of knowledge make a seller bad? How many fake items can a seller have before they are considered bad? How many errors do the TPG get before they are considered bad? I would further add, using a Star Jordan is also a really not a great example to make this point either since even PSA and SGC refuse to grade them.

I guess you misunderstand the point. If i buyer purposely tries to sell a counterfeit item, there should be consequences. When Ebay forces a seller to take down an item (which they sometimes do when you file a complaint for counterfeit), why can't they ding the seller on their rating? They obviously determined the item to be counterfeit if they force a removal.... Why is that problematic to also give them a negative mark? A seller purposely selling counterfeits should have that reflected for buyers to see. Or, if not, they should allow reviews regardless of whether someone buys.

Monster #236
Old 09-20-2020, 05:20 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

I always check Scammers database for Facebook cheats. They also have a list of problem eBay sellers also. Just put in a name and find out if someone else had been ripped off by that seller.

https://www.sportscardscams.com/scammers-database/
Old 09-20-2020, 05:42 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
Leon,
is this in the wrong place? can you help me move it?

sorry!
No worries, since we all deal with scammers not a big deal. However every thread sort of needs a card or 5.

Old 09-20-2020, 05:55 PM
Jerry Tate

Default PEZ dispensers

If you can't identify fake PEZ dispensers frankly I don't think you should be walking around...Jerry
Old 09-20-2020, 06:32 PM

Default Jerry :

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrinus View Post
If you can't identify fake PEZ dispensers frankly I don't think you should be walking around...Jerry

..This is gold , Jerry . GOLD.

Old 09-20-2020, 07:12 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrinus View Post
Jerry, just saying https://www.pezcollectors.com/pages/...ulars-133.html
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 09-20-2020, 08:36 PM
Jerry Tate

Default Thanks Mike

DJ...you convinced me...Jerry
Old 09-20-2020, 09:01 PM
Tim Odeen

Have you looked at Topps Tiffany cards? The Griffey's not graded, or sold by COMC, are all being sold by individuals with less than 10 reviews. I would say they are 99.9% regular Topps listed as Tiffanys so that new yokels in the hobby with no clue will get ripped off. Ebay doesn't care about blatant fraud.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 09-20-2020, 09:40 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Have you looked at Topps Tiffany cards? The Griffey's not graded, or sold by COMC, are all being sold by individuals with less than 10 reviews. I would say they are 99.9% regular Topps listed as Tiffanys so that new yokels in the hobby with no clue will get ripped off. Ebay doesn't care about blatant fraud.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Wow, that is terrible. I will take a look. I guess these people have thought of all the ways to rip others off.

Monster #236
Old 09-21-2020, 08:42 AM
J0hn Collin$

I feel you, but think this kinda falls under the category of caveat emptor. Aside from putting out a few "guides" to different type of collectibles which may or may not be helpful, eBay themselves does not claim to be any type of real expert on anything. The volume which goes through their site will never allow this to happen based on the model that they have used for more than two decades now. If you see something suspicious and get PO'd - don't buy it.

Last edited by jchcollins; 09-21-2020 at 08:44 AM.