NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-20-2020, 09:33 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Default Trading? Middle man?

I’m fairly new here and interested in posting a red portrait Cobb up for trade.

I’m very picky about who I deal with and how the trade is completed as I’m sure many of us are. I’d prefer to meet in person but that isn’t always reasonable.

Is there anyone that functions as a middle man for a fee? Just wondering what everyone’s processes are for making trades. I’m used to “vouched” Facebook groups where everyone knows everyone and many people are those I’ve met in person.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:15 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I'm fairly new here too, have done about 8 transactions with members in the last month. I find that folks here have a bit more integrity than the outside world, lot of old school collectors. Look at how long they've been subbed here and read their comments, you'll get a sense of how people are. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:02 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

I understand the concern. It’s trickier with a trade because a card isn’t traceable like a digital payment is. I have been on the board over a decade and have never had a single problem on the BST, FWIW. Have you thought just selling the Cobb then buying what you want? It may help alleviate some stress. Just a thought.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:03 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I think the key is to find trustworthy, reliable traders rather than a middleman.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:10 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I think the key is to find trustworthy, reliable traders rather than a middleman.
Agreed. I think a middleman is just one more way for things to go wrong.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:15 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I've used COMC as a trusted middleman in some transactions. But I have to believe there are collectible escrow services out there if you search.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:34 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Trade

I don't recall ever making a trade on this board, but I have done over 500 buying and selling transactions on Net54 over the past years. You won't find a better group of people to trade with anywhere.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:44 AM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I don't recall ever making a trade on this board, but I have done over 500 buying and selling transactions on Net54 over the past years. You won't find a better group of people to trade with anywhere.
I have to echo this sentiment. I don't know if it's because Leon does a great job of moderating the board, or we just self regulate really well. Never had a problem with a deal done on this board.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:24 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

But that doesn't mean you should trust everyone on the board. If you want to ask about a member's trade history, ask them for people they've dealt with. Or post on the main board with a thread like "Trading with _______: post your experiences!" and people will respond if they've had trades/sales with that person.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware on the BST

It's a very safe place but as others have said, check out how long a member has been here and how many posts they have. Read the posts. Then if all else fails PM and I will try to help. It is caveat emptor out here. Be CAREFUL. I remember not long ago some person scammer came and offered really nice cards for way low prices. Whomever it was had 1 post and had just joined. One of our members got taken for about a hundred bucks. I can count on a few fingers, over many years, the number of other fraudulent issues which ended poorly over there. (knock on wood).

every thread needs a card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe99melchoir.jpg (64.4 KB, 332 views)

Last edited by Leon; 09-21-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:07 PM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

While the logistics may not work within this hobby, as most transactions don’t require this level of protection, the OP’s thread made me think of the ‘sports betting’ or ‘escrow’ company that held the $$$ when Warren Buffett made that $1 million bet with the high expense Hedge Fund managers. Because the two parties were extremely educated, the company actually held bonds with a maturity value of $1 million, and I could further go on as to the outcome...... but that’s probably not meant for this thread, haha

Anyhow, the ‘middle man’ idea is very interesting, if nothing else, worth a thought. Thanks for posting!

However, currently in transactions (Trades) that large (T206 Cobb), best advise is to only deal with those you trust.

Colton
Old 09-21-2020, 02:30 PM
Howard Chasser

Default What he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
But that doesn't mean you should trust everyone on the board. If you want to ask about a member's trade history, ask them for people they've dealt with. Or post on the main board with a thread like "Trading with _______: post your experiences!" and people will respond if they've had trades/sales with that person.
I also echo the sentiment of many transactions buying and selling with no issues, but if you aren't sure based on other factors - post a reputation check on the main board before doing the deal.

btw. Not sure I have what you are looking for, but open to exploring the other end of that trade. PM (private message) me if interested in exploring.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:33 PM
Craig L.

Thanks for posting a card Leon. Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It's a very safe place but as others have said, check out how long a member has been here and how many posts they have. Read the posts. Then if all else fails PM and I will try to help. It is caveat emptor out here. Be CAREFUL. I remember not long ago some person scammer came and offered really nice cards for way low prices. Whomever it was had 1 post and had just joined. One of our members got taken for about a hundred bucks. I can count on a few fingers, over many years, the number of other fraudulent issues which ended poorly over there. (knock on wood).

Pre-1957 Des Moines baseball memorbilia
**Ok, I buy DM stuff after '57**

Working on the following sets:
-T201 Master Set
-B18s set minus Reds. *18 to go*
-T202 End panel set
-'35 Goudey
-T206 361 commons/common back
Old 09-21-2020, 02:43 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I've used COMC as a trusted middleman in some transactions. But I have to believe there are collectible escrow services out there if you search.
That's interesting - so you both submit cards to COMC and then buy them off each other for the same price?

I've done at least one trade that I remember on this board, but we had many buy/sell transactions beforehand - they were all super easy and enjoyable transactions.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:01 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Appreciate everyone’s response. My issue is more so MY personal cautiousness when dealing with anyone for more than a couple bucks.

I’ll post up a thread and see if we can work something out.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:26 PM
Joe M.

I have done many buy/sell transactions with no problems. And a few trades have all worked out for me & made many friends. Read the bottom of this post & you will see names. Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 09-21-2020, 04:33 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
Appreciate everyone’s response. My issue is more so MY personal cautiousness when dealing with anyone for more than a couple bucks.

I’ll post up a thread and see if we can work something out.
Another option I have employed in the past is to treat the trade like 2 separate cash transactions and each pay each other the agreed value via PayPal goods and services.

For example a $2000 Red Cobb for a $2000 Cy Young Portrait is the agreed trade.
You each send each other 2k via PayPal goods (so it is covered by PayPal or credit card protection).
You will each pay a 3% transaction fee, essentially making paypal the middle man.

Just a thought and best of luck.
I will look for your post as I may be interested as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2020, 05:54 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
That's interesting - so you both submit cards to COMC and then buy them off each other for the same price?
Effectively yes. You're basically paying COMC a commission for handling the sales back and forth.

WARNING: If you're going to list them way under value (since you may not have store credit or you want to reduce fees), I would initially list both cards with high prices (aka double your actual value) so they do not get immediately bought at a discount by a third party searching for newly listed. Once they've been listed at a high price, then mark them not for sale for a couple days. Then coordinate a time where you talk on the phone and list one card and have the other guy ready to pounce when it's relisted (it won't show up in the newly listed this way and most people will think it's already been sold). Once one is purchased, the buyer then lists his card at the same price and the original seller pounces.

I prefer to just mark the thing double, then have the buyer submit a half price offer and pay COMC 5% transaction fee for the privilege.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:15 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

Well, there was THIS guy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37037DE6-4FE5-4D64-87C4-DB422B605525.jpg (13.8 KB, 118 views)
Old 09-23-2020, 06:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Well, there was THIS guy...
He was a character for sure. Good ole Adrian...
Old 09-23-2020, 07:25 AM
Marc

If I recall, there is also a picture of him holding the Mona Lisa