NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Game Used Forum- Pre-1980

Old 07-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Andrew L@Vine

Default Vintage game used bats & lathe marking question

Good afternoon all!

I am new to game used bats and had a quick question to all you experts/well versed in regards vintage game bats. It seems that many of the older game bats have the circular outline/remnant of where the lathe was used (my apologies if I am not using Lathe properly) to turn/manufacture the bat, while some that I have looked at do not have this outline (but match up otherwise). Is the lack of the lathe outline cause to discredit game use? Why do some bats have the lathe outline and some do not. Is there an age/year where all lathe outlines cease? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:55 PM
J0n Fu.ld

You do not need lathe remnants or a circular hole in order for a bat to be considered professional model. This is not a make it or break it. Evidence of hand turning may also be found in the lack of bottom of the knob markings (lack of - inch marks, company logo, trademark, etc.), in the brandings themselves, and elsewhere. I view lathe remnants as a positive though, as they are additional evidence of hand turning. so a lack of lathe marks does not hurt, but their presence can help, from my perspective. Lathe remnants are really a pre-1930 happening, there are examples thereafter, but a greater proportion of professional model bats had this attribute pre-1930, than post-1930. By the time of model numbers on the bottom of the knobs in the 1940s, a clean straight bottom was demanded. so really when I think of lathe remnants, it is mostly pre-1930.

Last edited by BigJJ; 07-24-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Andrew L@Vine

This is just what I needed, thanks for the feedback BigJJ!!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:04 PM
N@te

If you have a question about a bat, feel free to post a pic before you buy it and we'll give you our opinions. Not me, but there are some very knowledgable game used people on here.

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 07-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Andrew L@Vine

Default hornsby bat

I was looking at a promodel hornsby bat...but ended up missing out because my bid didnt go through in time. What are your thoughts...possible gamer? It was 33 7/8" long and 32 oz. It had to have been from 1934-37 if it was a gamer....

Did I dodge a bullet? Or did I just blow it...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hornsby HB markings 3.jpg (74.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Hornsby signature bat.jpg (79.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Hornsby under knob.jpg (71.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Hornsby bat.jpg (79.6 KB, 46 views)
Old 07-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I can't read the stampings on the knob, but it's short and light for what he ordered, so it's probably just an index bat. Worth a few hundred, I'd say.

Ken
Old 07-26-2013, 01:28 PM
Andrew L@Vine

I couldnt read the knob either, but sure looks like something was stamped or etched in. If its likely a team index bat, that makes me feel much better, thanks for the feedback!!
Old 07-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Matt

Post career - made in 40s. H117 on knob

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 07-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Andrew L@Vine

now that you say that, i can totally make it out on the knob, thanks Matt!