NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Default Is it just about the hunt

Posted By: James Gallo

So I am wondering and I am sure this has been talked about in the past however it never get old.

When chasing a set is it all about the hunt? What do you do when the set is complete? I have all but finished my 1915 Cracker Jack set and I find I am having thoughts of selling it to both buy other cards and to use that money to persue some other things. While I was chasing the set I had absolutly no thoughts of selling it until my child (which doesn't exist) needed money for college.

Aside from the down market what do set collectors do when they complete the set.

Yes I still enjoy the cards and looking/reading them but after the chase do they somehow lose value or interest.

In my new chase for the Boston Store set I find it much more exciting since the cards really are hard to find. With the CJ set I feel I could put one together with ease at any point. Mine you my set is almost straight VG with some higher, so in that grade those cards are pretty available.

Thoughts... Should I sell the set and get a few cards and spend the cash on other things, or just put it away.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I am not patient enough to put together tough sets so the only sets I put together are "vintage" Topps sets. With what I collect there are no checklists so I am constantly surprised by what pops up next.

I can't tell you what to do with your completed set though...you have to answer that yourself. Does it give you joy to just own it? Would having the money to spend on other cards give you more joy?

Old 11-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

James,

This is being discussed on the post-war baseball thread now.

Some get their kicks from the hunt and enjoy putting together sets. Some don't. I am in the latter category. I just want to own the sets and I get my enjoyment from being able to look at the cards no from chasing after them.

Given the choice, I would rather acquire the whole set in one fell swoop rather than buy it card by card. I hate ebay. Selling it right after you finally finished the set to me would be analagous to chewing your food but not swallowing it.

To each his own though.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Jim, you always struck me as someone who would enjoy putting a set together card by card...especially considering that eye appeal is a major factor in how you put your sets together.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

For me I like the chase as much as the cards, I think? Since I am down to needing far less than a handful of cards to complete my 20th century pre war type set I just pick up things I like. I have been adding to my collection when I can find a really rare piece to add. The rarity of some issues is fascinating (to me) so I enjoy hunting for them. It took me about 5 yrs to find my first T216 Virginia Extra and just last week I got my 3rd one. Also, I have decided to do an impossible (probably) master set of D303's, since I like baking cards. Couple that with my 1916 W-Unc Big Head set collecting and my (very) collector grade T209-1's and I stay real busy....probably too darn busy!! I think the answer really is "do what makes you happy". There are literally millions of ways to collect so just find 1 or 20 and go with it. BTW, I agree with you on the "easier" to finish sets (money not withstanding) and I would find them less entertaining as it only takes money for completion ...I have never seen, or heard about, any D303 sets that are complete, let alone a master set. I think I have seen 1 complete set of Big Heads, that one being auctioned by REA in the last few years.....take care and good luck in the hunt...and by all means have some fun. That's what it's all about.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I'm down to working on two sets, which are the last two sets I think I'll ever do. I have realized I hate set building. I have no patience and I'm way too fickle. Today I ordered a sandwich and by the time I took my first bite I wanted something else instead.

I'm doing a '38 Goudey set in higher grades. I love those cards, I love everything about the 1937-41 period of card collecting, and I think the '38 Goudeys are the cornerstone of a lot of other sets from that period. I am nine cards short, and will probably always look for upgrades that are relatively affordable. That's a perfect set for me, because it's 48 cards.

I'm doing a Henry Johnson Confectioners set that is probably impossible to complete. I have 30 cards and about 5 dupes. Nobody really knows how many cards are possible in this set.

In both cases, it's the accomplishment of getting it complete that motivates me. The hunt, for me, is frustrating.

-Al

Old 11-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric Brehm

I enjoy looking for cards I need for my sets, but probably derive more satisfaction from the finished product than from the chase. One thing I definitely don't enjoy is selling. Now that I've figured out what sets I want to collect, and have nearly finished them, I'll probably hang on to them for awhile.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

"I'm doing a Henry Johnson Confectioners set that is probably impossible to complete. I have 30 cards and about 5 dupes. Nobody really knows how many cards are possible in this set."

First, 30 is pretty amazing all things considered. But did you ever think you had a real shot to complete this? It's like the hunt for Moby Dick.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: S Gross

Set-wise, totally the "hunt."

When I was doing my e90-1, it was one of the greatest feelings I've had in collecting. Then I got to 118/120 (JJ and Young/throw), and realized it was over. I did what I could do, and realized there was some $$ to use in another quest. Sold them, never felt bad (except for a few), and have great memories.

Boxing-wise, many have come and gone: t218, t220, e75, e76 (actually still own, would sell for my price ), e77 (1 of 2, still own 1), e79, leaf, adevnture. All fun at the time.

I'm down to only two T9 (Jeanette and McFarland), and I don't know what will happen when I get them --- just tooooooo beautiful to part with.

My sub-sub set, T210-1 Savannah, isn't going anywhere, just means too much to me and was a tough adventure (although moving onto the rest of T210-1 is an exciting thought). And my T225-2 (18/25) just aren't available, so they'll be around for a time.

I guess it's a balance of many factors, but the "hunt" is the drive (at least for me).

Old 11-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I really didn't know, when I got started. I got the Cobb first, and then became interested in the cards and all the mystery behind them. When I got the Ruth I figured I had the toughest cards, and might as well try and figure out how to checklist the set. Somewhere along the line, I descended into idiocy.

-Al

Old 11-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

and if it helps matters, feel free to send me all your Cubs CJs, so you can continue your quest anew on those cards!
I am always here to accept free cards from all collectors, young and old, rich and poor!

Old 11-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed McCollum

but then again, I'm not collecting a set in the traditional terms of collecting a set. It used to be a set, then it wasn't, now I want it to be again. But I have no idea what the end is.

No matter what, for me, its about the hunt. Hard to find cards, the impossible "tickle me Elmo" when my son was 3, a menu from a rail line that was used for less than two months 60 years ago .... It goes on and on. The fun is gone when the hunt is over for me.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Dan --not when you've got 100 or more sets going on at the same time you are working on--maybe if I was down to a very small number but too time consuming--I'm fortunate I have had people helping me when I was still building the 60s sets in 8 or better and while I was upgrading to 9s.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

If the set was easy, I am inclined to get rid of it afterwards, especially if I can do so at a good profit. If the set is really tough, I tend to enjoy it more and hold it more, precisely because of the work that went into assembling it.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 11-05-2008, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

I do love the hunt. I like talking to other collectors and working out trades and buying doubles etc.

When I'm done the two sets I'm working on. I'm not sure what I'll do. In the past, I have both sold sets and used the money to buy one high(er) grade card and I've held on to them.

I suspect when I'm done T205 I might sell the set and buy some high grade cards OR maybe I'll hold on to it and occasionally upgrade cards when something comes along with the appeal and price I can agree with.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

3 years in, I loved the hunt.
8 years in, I hate the hunt.
I want a sense of completion, i want to not feel compelled to check daily and nightly and be panicked by what I might have missed while on holiday.

The cards I need are specific in issue and condition, and I know that even missing one day of checks might lead to a miss that will take additional years to fill. Years! Makes the bile rise gag high.
I hate the monetary cost and the opportunity cost that needs to be constantly justified.
I hate not knowing when I can be finished, when the hunt can finally be shut down.

But boy, those cards, hanging there so beautifully on my walls. I love those. And I feel weirdly proud of myself for being their caretaker, and being able to snare them for myself. So rare (forgive me leon), so hard won.

But jeesh, I'll be happy when the last one gets slotted alongside the rest.

Then I can focus on my pin collection happy.gif.

Daniel

Old 11-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Steele

I like this thread. Although the "vote" thread seems to be a little more "popular" right now.

James: When you get rid of the CJ set send the Red Sox to me happy.gif

Back in the 80's, the hunt for me was vintage Topps sets. Now I just upgrade them to death. I can't help it. First VG was okay for a minimum, then no creases, now ex-mt and centered seems to be my low. I don't think I will live long enough to graduate into the Jim C school of 8's and 9's but it motivates me.

Currently and for the last 15 years it's pre war team subsets or rather one specific team. Same principles apply. I get a 2 or a 3 and then see a 5 or 6 I like and upgrade. It's a sickness but I love it.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

I've been building a couple of sets for 20+ years. Sometimes I get the itch to pick up a few cards and other times I just don't think about it. I guess I'm in no hurry, but looking back it sure would have been a lot cheaper to complete some sets about 10+ years ago.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Cook

I'm a compulsive set collector. For me it's 85% about the hunt and 15% to hold. I've collected and broken up complete or near (within 3 cards) sets of:
E90-2, E90-3, E91-B, E91-C, E92 Dockman, E93, E94, E95, E96, E104-2 (I was complete except for Wagner), T209 Color, Goudey (34, 35, 36, 41), 1941 Playball, at least half a dozen strip card sets. Another 10 prewar sets I've had at least 50% done before breaking them up (including E97, E100, E92 Croft Cocoa, E104-1).

I collected and have kept T210-2, T212-2, T213-2 and 1931 Zeenut.

I enjoy piecing the sets together card by card. Once they're complete, I often find another set to focus on and use one of my old sets as trade bait to start the next one.

Andy