NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-23-2016, 01:36 PM
bobby

Default 12 inch wagner reverse decal bat

In the past two weeks with the cooperation of members we resolved a couple different issues about mini decal bats.
The most important one was that these bats were not salesman samples.
Now I would like to try to resolve why the 12 inch Wagner reverse decal bat even exists. It is my opinion that the bat was a mistake? the bats were made the decals arrived and the decal just didn't fit on the same side as the H&S logo. this caused them to changed the size of the bats to 14 inches. when you see one it is always in almost perfect condition. cant say that about other decal bats.I don't think they ever left the factory.This in my opinion. I believe its a important bat
I believe these decals were first used in 1914 using information provided by others about Gowdy and that his decal is on the same sheet as Wagner. that would mean H&S decal bats were only available for two years. they are hard to find and only three players exist on twelve inch bats. Cobb, Gowdey and Wagner the Cobb and Gowdy because there decals fit the twelve inch bats. The 12 inch Wagner is only found like in the photo on the reverse of the trade mark and very few exist. Collins and others being the same length as the Wagner decal just don't exist on 12 inch bats?. I can only assume that as they applied the first Wagner decals and realized this they changed the bat size to 14 inches. And the decals don't fit very well on the 14s either the Decals touch the H&S logo and there hard to find were the tip of the decal is not missing. this could have lead to the 16 inch bats?.
I believe this could be in my opinion explain some of the first mini decal bats?. The longer 18 - 22 inch bats in my opinion exist because they just didn't waist material back then if there was a use for it they used it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment[1].jpg (74.2 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by minibatsman; 02-02-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:05 PM
John

Do you have a photo of the Wagner?
Old 01-25-2016, 01:27 PM
bobby

Default 12 inch wagner

Its the only 12 inch Wagner decal bat of this era I am aware off
Its the only one with a decal on the reverse of the H&S logo
The purpose of these decals is not only to appeal to the buyer of there favorite player on the bat they are a fan off. but to also show H&S is were you have to go to get one. this bat in a vender display would have the Wagner decal showing and the makers emblem underneath and not seen . There is no way H&S would allow this.
At first the decal was 99 percent intact? I have sent two bats a 12 and a 14 inch Wagner to half dozen so called bat experts. Including the company that sold the H&S/H&B museum personal collection. With one response by all there both salesman samples. I no they were wrong on that one.
Just shipping and handling by experts will damage the decals.

maybe we can make this discussion a little more interesting. I have always argued that the H&S decal bats were not from 1910 -1915 period as major auction houses have said. including the Hillerich family
a couple statements made by others could possibly put an exact date to the H&S bats. first the inclusion of Hank Gowdy decal dosnt make sense for 1913.
and I have seen some catalogs from 1913 that do not mention H&S decal bats I have no real proof of this but with some help maybe we can clearly identify the year these decal bats were actually first issued. this could be useful to full-size decal bat collectors also.
1914 maybe but possibly H&S decal bats were only sold in 1915 be nice to prove it for me any way?. the rest would be H&B in 1916?
There are many more H&B decal bats that's a different discussion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment[2].jpg (71.8 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg attachment[1].jpg (71.0 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by minibatsman; 01-27-2016 at 08:57 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 01-28-2016, 01:06 PM
bobby

Default cobb decal bat

it appears no body really cares about this post I am not surprised.
if anyone is interested there is a 34 3/4 cobb decal bat on Ebay. that ends tonight
I think the bat will sell for nothing close to the real value of it? I have no financial interest in this bat. a last 30 second bid could put a 4 figure bat in your collection for hundreds? if anyone is interested in this.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:34 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibatsman View Post
it appears no body really cares about this post I am not surprised.
if anyone is interested there is a 34 3/4 cobb decal bat on Ebay. that ends tonight
I think the bat will sell for nothing close to the real value of it? I have no financial interest in this bat. a last 30 second bid could put a 4 figure bat in your collection for hundreds? if anyone is interested in this.

If we're talking about the same bat. No way will it sell close to 4 figures. The decal isn't in great shape, the grain is separating and there's chips in the knob.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:31 PM
bobby

Default cobb

I don't no much about full size bats. I have a few that I paid to much for they are nice wall hangers. There not in a safe there on my wall were people can see them and they ask questions. I take one down and hand it to them and I have no problem letting others swing my 30s store model Ruth bat. I tell them exactly what it is its like they don't here what I tell them or care.
All they care about is that they just got to swing a Babe Ruth bat.