NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-18-2020, 01:14 PM
Jamie

Default PSA's Unbelievable turnaround times are Horrible!

I just got off the phone with PSA regarding a submission which I mailed in over the summer July/August.. apparently they are no longer committing to any time frames for economy submissions... they informed me they are still working on cards received in May.. and possibly an indication that it could be 4-6 more months before my cards get graded..

is anyone else as frustrated with this lack of customer service.. lack of turnaround time? based on this experience why would anyone ever submit a $500 card for grading if the turnaround time is 10 months!? what a joke...

Hey PSA...... Hire some more people before you lose market share..... the phone call I just got off of would have me never submit a card again.... being delayed is one thing.. but telling people you cant even provide them with an estimate after having a card for 3 months... that is absurd.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:24 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

I think economy is playing with fire at this point. It has been known for months that they are just so backed up on the economy side. And quite frankly it is causing people to move to express - which is great for business. They have been money in terms of express - no delays there. I wish I didn't have to pay $75 to get a card now but it almost feels like it has to be accepted at this point.

Also, it is very hard to hire graders! Imagine how much more we would hate grading companies if we had someone with 3 month's experience grading our nice cards? It just takes time and recruiting to build up a staff.

As a side note, anyone notice PSA removed their graded card count at the top left of their homepage? This used to be updated weekly.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 11-18-2020, 01:26 PM
Anthony

It's very frustrating. I am glad I don't have much modern stuff, because the market fluctuates so wildly depending on how the player does that DAY, let alone a year down the road.

It doesn't affect the vintage collecting folks quite as much as long as they don't plan on selling right away.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:36 PM
Trey
Tr.ey Bu0y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunder19 View Post
is anyone else as frustrated with this lack of customer service.. lack of turnaround time?
Nah, not here. I either buy cards that are raw or buy cards that are already graded if desired, and let it go at that. I leave the frustration for others to handle, this hobby should bring joy not frustration.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:37 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The OP meant to use the term "unbelievably horrible."
Old 11-18-2020, 01:51 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Seems as though every grading company is insanely backlogged , I have a few cards I’d like to get slabbed at some point and a few I’d like reholdered but not many. I won’t even think of sending a submission anywhere now the way things are. Seems like all companies should be and should have been hiring and training many new people. The demand is certainly there!
Old 11-18-2020, 02:46 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

The amount of cards being graded is astronomical. I just dont get it.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-18-2020, 03:22 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
based on this experience why would anyone ever submit a $500 card for grading if the turnaround time is 10 months!?
I've only submitted through Bobby's group subs..... the last one took 9 months. I wasn't in any hurry to get the cards back. So, now I know what to expect.... when he proposed the recent group sub, I just asked myself if I can live without my cards for 10 or 11 months. The answer was "sure why not" ...

Quote:

being delayed is one thing.. but telling people you cant even provide them with an estimate after having a card for 3 months... that is absurd.
That IS absurd.... I agree. It seems they should know how many cards they have at any given time, roughly how long each step of the process takes, do some math, and give an answer, even if it's 10 months +/- 1 week. I don't see why they can't estimate turn around time..... It is pretty ridiculous that they wont
Old 11-18-2020, 03:40 PM
Daryl

Default Psa

I am in the same boat sent in July 8th, delivered on July 13th, they said they received it Aug 19th, it has been in the grading step since Oct 4th, called them a couple weeks ago they answered and was polite but said they were overwhelmed and could not give me any information on my submission.

Daryl Fraley
Old 11-18-2020, 03:43 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Psa

Frustrated yes but not going to change my habits or 99% of the rest of the people out there. I did send in a $50 per card sub in August and had it back in 15 days. That service is suspended for now unfortunately. I sent a BGS sub in early June. It just got entered into their system. I don't see much difference between any of them right now.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:51 PM
Jason B.

Default Get comfortable...

Yeah, it's not good.

I have 10 Subs out with them right now, but my 2 buddies and I knew what we were getting into by submitting in June and August. I expect the Bulk stuff to maybe appear around March/April 2021.

My only Sub that truly astounds me is a $20 level submission of 15 cards.
PSA marked Received July 1st, and it entered Grading status on July 25th.
It's still in Grading as of today... They were turning these around in 40-45 business days max even at the worst of it.

I called them 2 weeks ago and the estimate she gave me was Mid-January 2021. To me, that makes absolutely no sense.
They really should have given some priority to clearing out cards at that $20 level, especially after they discontinued that service level last month.

But there was blood in the water this Spring/Summer. Everyone was looking to make some quick money off junk-era and modern cards, and it straight-up broke the system.
|
WTB: '33 Sport Kings Jim Thorpe/Babe Ruth/Babe Didrickson (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)
Old 11-18-2020, 03:51 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Has anyone followed CU's stock performance over the past year?
Old 11-18-2020, 04:02 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradedcardman View Post
Frustrated yes but not going to change my habits or 99% of the rest of the people out there. I did send in a $50 per card sub in August and had it back in 15 days. That service is suspended for now unfortunately. I sent a BGS sub in early June. It just got entered into their system. I don't see much difference between any of them right now.
$50 service is not suspended but it is delayed to about 1 month turnaround according to PSA.
I send 4 cards in under this that were delivered to PSA today.

Will update if delay is longer than expected.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2020, 05:09 PM
Bill Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
That IS absurd.... I agree. It seems they should know how many cards they have at any given time, roughly how long each step of the process takes, do some math, and give an answer, even if it's 10 months +/- 1 week. I don't see why they can't estimate turn around time..... It is pretty ridiculous that they wont
I wonder if it's not as easy as you describe because I bet auction houses and other preferred large submitters are continually sending cards (large orders), and because these customers (understandably) rank higher on the food chain, their orders jump ahead of orders already on hand. I can understand this, because many of these customers (major dealers and auction houses) spend much more money with PSA on a regular basis than do once- or twice-a-year submitters. Plus, they *have* to have them back by a certain time in order to get them in their next auctions.

Not saying this is the case, just throwing it out there.

Last edited by BRoberts; 11-18-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:33 PM
Anson

The TPGs are making more profit than ever and don't even have to deliver against any commitments. Why would they hire more graders? They have more business than they can handle and little competition. They've trained their customers to spend 4x the standard price to get the same service as a year ago. Yes, there's a lot of frustration, but people will still send their cards to them. Prove me wrong.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:49 PM

Sorry, Jamie, that sucks.

I think the last time I submitted cards via mail to PSA was maybe like 2007. I just try to buy slabbed cards, or submit at a Nat'l. The lead times I've been hearing about are just horrific. No way I'd send anything in these days.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:06 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Has anyone followed CU's stock performance over the past year?
I have....I was this close to buying 100 shares at $15 around March.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:51 PM

I’m not renewing my PSA membership because of the suspension of the economy service and turnaround times. I’ll wait and hope things get better in the next 6 months.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:37 PM
Br1an N0Iff

People can't wait to go give their money to PSA. What a stand up, honest, and reputable company. Have at it folks!
Old 11-19-2020, 12:05 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintboy View Post
People can't wait to go give their money to PSA. What a stand up, honest, and reputable company. Have at it folks!
Mystifies me as well. The worse they perform, the greater the demand. Interesting business model.

I'm so thankful my collecting interests are not contingent upon this company's "blessing".

Last edited by perezfan; 11-19-2020 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:06 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

PSA is drowing in modern cards. The case break industry is out of control. Many many people buy into these breaks looking for the next Kobe, Zion or Mahomes refractor or prizm card and rush it off for grading. A 10 on some of these cards is like hitting the lottery. Sure many of these guys break the card out over and over and keep submitting it. It's all about PSA 10 and Beckett Black label. It's not prewar that is overwhelming these guys but modern. A whole different game from what is being played here.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 11-19-2020 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:13 AM
Jason B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Mystifies me as well. The worse they perform, the greater the demand. Interesting business model.

I'm so thankful my collecting interests are not contingent upon this company's "blessing".
I'd suggest that it's more like, "the more money people make from grading their cards, the greater the demand."

When folks were making even more than usual by grading cards due to the increase in interest in the hobby this Spring, that led to an astronomical increase in submissions.

To each their own. 95% of my purchases are in the final form I want it -- either pre-graded or raw. But I also accumulate raw cards that will do well via TPG.
Tracking my own submissions, a historical return of 450% against costs is really hard to ignore. It allows me to increase value of my collection for those cards I hold, and generate funds for other purchases for those cards I don't want to keep. That is really valuable to those of us actively growing our collections. The wait times are what they are due to demand, as are the costs of grading.

There is no sense hating this game, even if the TPG players are typical greedy and intermittently unscrupulous corporations. Find me one that isn't
|
WTB: '33 Sport Kings Jim Thorpe/Babe Ruth/Babe Didrickson (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)
Old 11-19-2020, 07:23 AM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggerZagger View Post
I'd suggest that it's more like, "the more money people make from grading their cards, the greater the demand."

When folks were making even more than usual by grading cards due to the increase in interest in the hobby this Spring, that led to an astronomical increase in submissions.

To each their own. 95% of my purchases are in the final form I want it -- either pre-graded or raw. But I also accumulate raw cards that will do well via TPG.

Tracking my own submissions, a historical return of 450% against costs is really hard to ignore. It allows me to increase value of my collection for those cards I hold, and generate funds for other purchases for those cards I don't want to keep. That is really valuable to those of us actively growing our collections. The wait times are what they are due to demand, as are the costs of grading.

There is no sense hating this game, even if the TPG players are typical greedy and intermittently unscrupulous corporations. Find me one that isn't

|
+1
Well said

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2020, 07:32 AM
J0hn Collin$

PSA's turn times have been less than stellar for decades now, and only just passed the absurd threshold in this fabulous year 2020 and the $hitshow it's turned into. What's far sadder to me than PSA is the mess SGC found themselves in by being totally unprepared back early this summer, in saying "Send us your cards!" when in fact it should have been obvious much earlier that they were biting off way more then they could chew.

I like graded cards. More often that not, I buy graded and not raw vintage anymore online because of the peace of mind aspect, and they are of course much easier to move when / if it comes time to sell. But just for my PC, grading never has and never will be a hard requirement. I started collecting in the late 1980's. I know how to grade, and knew before TPG's were a thing. I have several upper midgrade Mantle cards and a few other odds and ends laying around that I envisioned sending off to SGC just for posterity's sake earlier in the year, but I can tell you now it just ain't happening for the foreseeable future. I know within a point or so what they would grade regardless, and I'd rather have the cards here in my PC (no plans to sell...) where I can enjoy them than off sitting in a box somewhere at a grader for a considerable portion of the year. Should I get in an unexpected bind where I truly do need to sell some bigger items, the $75 PSA or $100 SGC options will be there.

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-19-2020 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:13 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
A whole different game from what is being played here.
Not really. The only reasons to grade vintage cards with PSA despite all of the headaches and delays and high costs are to: (a) compete on their registry, or (b) make money on flipping the flip.

Like it or not, PSA sh**s money for submitters...that's the ballgame right there regardless of age of the cards. I sent in a raw beater Bill Russell RC worth about $600 and several months (and an upcharge) later I owned a PSA 1.5 worth $1100. Now worth $2000. And who is gonna pay top dollar for a 1952 Mantle or a 1958 Jim Brown if it isn't in one of those sacred plastic holders with the holy script numerical grade writ on the label?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-19-2020, 08:27 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Like it or not, PSA sh**s money for submitters...
I would agree it's about far more than modern PSA 10's.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:33 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Not really. The only reasons to grade vintage cards with PSA despite all of the headaches and delays and high costs are to: (a) compete on their registry, or (b) make money on flipping the flip.

Like it or not, PSA sh**s money for submitters...that's the ballgame right there regardless of age of the cards. I sent in a raw beater Bill Russell RC worth about $600 and several months (and an upcharge) later I owned a PSA 1.5 worth $1100. Now worth $2000. And who is gonna pay top dollar for a 1952 Mantle or a 1958 Jim Brown if it isn't in one of those sacred plastic holders with the holy script numerical grade writ on the label?
This....and I can't get over how much it has EXPLODED!!! You are seeing cards that had a set price range FOREVER literally just BLOW UP!!! I would love to have some of my monsters back right about now.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:35 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

PSA is like the abusive partner you can't seem to leave.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:19 AM
James

I didn't know anything and sent my first card to them over two months ago, and they are just now starting the grading and stuff. Maybe I will get it back next year.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:39 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamest206 View Post
I didn't know anything and sent my first card to them over two months ago, and they are just now starting the grading and stuff. Maybe I will get it back next year.
Two months???? That's a drop in the bucket!!! Consider yourself lucky!
Old 11-19-2020, 01:49 PM
Pete

I was going to send a card in express. Wondering if I'll get it back in 15 days.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:51 PM
pete ullman

I did expess sgc recently took about a week door to door.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:20 PM
Anson

If only I could start the submission process for the cards I hope to buy soon. Kind of like enrolling your child in a private school before they're even born.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:20 PM

Meanwhile, I've been purchasing graded cards and then breaking them open when they arrive.

Raw cards RULE!!
Old 11-19-2020, 07:57 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Anyone have any higher end stuff reholdered using their expedited $100-500 fee service recently?

Curious about turn around time
Old 01-17-2021, 04:30 PM

Hello, I'm thinking of mailing a couple vintage ticket stubs to PSA for authentication. I've only ever sent a couple low $ cards a couple years ago via PSA stand at local memorabilia show. I have a couple Q's I hope someone could help guide me:

1. Express vs. Super Express - I believe I would have to pay for Super Express as the value of the stubs are over $1999 - I think (?) 1932 WS Ruth "Called Shot" and 1919 WS. Is there a guide anywhere for valuation estimates?

2. Turn around time/Delays - They have posted on website that Super Express turnaround is 20 days. I know PSA is way backed up! Does anyone know if Super Express is delayed much outside of the original timetable?

Thanks for your help.

Minneapolis Millers & St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats, Uniforms & Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...apolis+millers

Uniforms of the American Association of Baseball (1902-1962)

https://net54baseball.com/showthread...58#post2008658

Last edited by Tay1038; 01-17-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:56 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I don't know about PSA but I sent 6 cards to SGC on their Express. They received them on January 8th, I got them back in hand on January 14th. And they cut my fee by $150. Pretty happy with their service.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-17-2021, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback Phil. I noticed for the same equivalent to PSA "Express Service" - SGC charges $250 per/ticket though (1-2 Day turn around), PSA charges $125/per ticket (20 day turn around). Did you have to speak with anyone at SGC for the discount, or did they just comp. it off your final bill?

Minneapolis Millers & St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats, Uniforms & Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...apolis+millers

Uniforms of the American Association of Baseball (1902-1962)

https://net54baseball.com/showthread...58#post2008658
Old 01-17-2021, 05:15 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

It depends on the value of the item. I only had one item that cost $250 (52 Jackie), the rest were $35-85 for an average total of $106 per card on a total value of $15,000. Plus $60 for next day Fedex. I was happy to pay that for high end items.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-17-2021, 06:49 PM
Jamie

Are tickets or photos any faster turnaround vs cards?
Old 01-17-2021, 06:55 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Photos.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlesinj View Post
Are tickets or photos any faster turnaround vs cards?
As you probably know, photos are shipped to the NJ address.

I just got one back and this was the wait time:

Mailed to NJ on 12/04/20, entered into system on 12/11/20 and shipped back to me on 01/05/21. It was the standard rate, I believe it cost me about $104 round trip with shipping and slabbing etc....

Not bad in my opinion, good luck!

Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 01-17-2021 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:19 AM
Nick Pascal

My recent experience: Submitted an order a little over a month ago that had cards in 3 different levels: Premium, Super Express, and Express. Other than taking a few days to get started in their system, the Premium and Super Express were completed in their stated time frames. The Express order (15 cards), took just over a month to get back to me.

A funny, yet infuriating, side note: When the cards were taking a few days to get into the system, I emailed to see if there was anything they needed or could do. When I specifically asked about the Premium card, the customer service rep told me that they didn’t have a Premium level and asked instead if I meant their $10 Value level. Now I know things are rough over there, but at least hire people that know the basics of the service they’re representing.

Last edited by wnp22; 01-18-2021 at 02:21 AM. Reason: I’m dumb and misread a previous post
Old 01-18-2021, 04:07 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I did expess sgc recently took about a week door to door.
I sent a Clemente RC to PSA for "Express Service" on 12/19 and they show as having received it on 12/30

Currently status is still "Grading" Stage -So by the time this one gets back to me I will have just about $100 in getting it graded and turnaround at over 1 month.

Also Bobby's bulk submission that we sent to them at the end of May still shows in Assembly Stage (I think)
Old 01-18-2021, 04:46 AM
Tom Re.bert

Default submissions

How many submissions is PSA receiving--possibly in the 500,000 range some weeks?--why? A card flipper told me he recently sold a PSA Graded Labron James Topps RC for $6,200--the buyer was extremely filled with happiness!
There you go, follow the money!
Old 01-18-2021, 05:08 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Also Bobby's bulk submission that we sent to them at the end of May still shows in Assembly Stage (I think)
Assembly?? I wish....Still Research and ID!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2021, 06:14 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
assembly?? I wish....still research and id!!!!!!
wtf!!!
Old 01-18-2021, 06:44 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
wtf!!!
I am willing to wager the wait times will get worse and worse....9 months will seem like express a year from now. I hope not....but just looking and how long it is taking simply to log items in.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:53 AM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default Grading

It has to be extremely difficult to hire for such a specialized position. You can't just run someone through a training period for a couple weeks and hope to have it work.

I would guess it is a bit of a revolving door as well. How many people get hired as a grader either for a good job (and find out the pay for such tedious work isn't worth it) or specifically for a temporary education to "learn the ropes internally" for a few months and then start submitting on their own and make a pile of cash?
311-407 PSA 6
Old 01-18-2021, 07:40 AM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Agree wholeheartedly. "Grading" is really skewing the prices of cards and being "slabbed" takes away the beauty of the cards. The first thing your eye goes to is a number instead of the card itself.

I remember being at a show in the late 80's with my late father and there were some coin dealers at the show as well. I asked Dad what the numbers were on the coin cases and he told me about grading. He said, "They will never do that to baseball cards as it would ruin the hobby." He didn't live to see that his prediction was wrong...at least the first part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Old 01-18-2021, 07:45 AM
Tom Re.bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111gecko View Post
It has to be extremely difficult to hire for such a specialized position. You can't just run someone through a training period for a couple weeks and hope to have it work.

I would guess it is a bit of a revolving door as well. How many people get hired as a grader either for a good job (and find out the pay for such tedious work isn't worth it) or specifically for a temporary education to "learn the ropes internally" for a few months and then start submitting on their own and make a pile of cash?
I heard a ex-Beckett grader sold his two Pokémon Charizard cards for $10,000. was recently seen at a card show cherry picking ???