NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-13-2004, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Default Mark Macrae's Show

Posted By: Julie

Ryan McConnell Hall, 575 West Estudillo Ave, right across the street from the BART station in San Leandro. The property is part of Saint Leander's Church, so look for the steeple and ask someone if you don't see it. 70 dealers, and for vintage collectors, better than Tri Star by quite a few. A stone's throw (if you're Joe Jackson) south of Oakland, California.<br /> From a recent show:

Old 11-26-2004, 07:13 PM
Administrator

completely re-wrote the thing, and then forgot to make it a new post...YAWN.

Old 11-26-2004, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: eric p.

does anybody know what the hours are for the show?

Old 11-26-2004, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Old 11-27-2004, 03:05 PM
Administrator

2 OF THESE OLD JUDGE ADS:

The Spaulding Guide's in great shape, and I also bought 6 more Lawsons--don't need to scan those..oh, and a'70s Orr portrait--which is fine, but i guess he's wearing a wig, right?

Old 11-27-2004, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Julie-Those Old Judge metamorphics that you picked up are very nice. There are 7 different known backs on those so you can start a collection (the variations are based on the overprint or lack thereof).

Old 11-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MajorDanby

Say, i saw those same pens but for the yankees. You probably bought it from the same guy. They had some real nice stuff there. Didn't bite on anything big (did get a carlton rookie), but was tempted to get a few goudeys the old guy in the back had showing off.

Are you going to the Cow Palace show next week?

Old 11-27-2004, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Nice haul Julie, I see your scanner is working well again. What is with all the lawsons? I thought you weren't into the generic stuff...I guess cause they're pretty cheap for a decent looking 19th century card. Anyways, way to come through on a limited budget.

Nope, Orr wasn't wearing a wig in your photo. Actually, he was a pioneer for what is commonly referred to today as "hockey hair" or "hockey mullet". For additional references, see Jaromir Jagr circa. 1993 and perhaps the Hansen brothers in Slap Shot if you really want to torture yourself

Old 11-27-2004, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Julie: I just picked one up too!!!

How cool!

Old 11-27-2004, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

do you have scans of the backs on these? I have 3-4 of different ones of them and know I've missed out on a couple with some heavy red overprinting. Just curious......

Old 11-27-2004, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Mark M/ wanted to keep the pair together, that's the only reason I bought two--and the only DIFFERENCE between them (besides condition), is that one says send in 25 slips from Old Judge packages for (what is described is obviously) a N173, and the OTHER says "send in 35 slips (coupons) from the Old Judge packages...so I guess they got more popular--or maybe (naah, no way!) less?

Anyway, what is all this overprint jazz?

Ben, I happen to dig game cards, especially 19th century game cards; one of them has four arms configured like a swastika, each holding a ball, with "motion indicators". and the card is called "WILD PITCH." i THINK THAT'S KIND OF NEAT. What I dislike are cards with player's names on them that don't look like the players, like the D403s, for example...or is it 304s? I think your mentioning my limited budget is...a little much--all things considered...

tHE Tribune scorekeeper cost $100, and the 2 Old Judge ads cost $200. And the Cycleback cost $75...';scuse me, David, I didn't mean you were for sale...and the Spaulding guide cost $150.

Old 11-27-2004, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Julie, I wouldnt have expected that mention of a limited budget would offend you, especially considering the fact that you've spoken fairly openly in the past on this board about the amounts of money you've spent on cards. Anyways, I meant it as a sort of compliment....after all, aren't almost all of us on limited budgets?

Old 11-27-2004, 05:57 PM
Administrator

2 years and 7 months ago.

Of course I'm on a limited budget...when did I talk about spending huge gobs on something? It seems to me that when I had huge gobs to spend, I was usually embarassed because I thought I'd spent too much on something, and I should have gotten it cheaper (which is probably true.)

Old 11-28-2004, 06:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I drooled over that card in Cleveland but was a few thousand (well, $5,000 ) short of purchasing it.

Old 11-28-2004, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Here are a list of the seven different metamorphic backs that I know of. My assumption is that at first Goodwin & Co. required 35 slips (coupons) for an N173 but that this proved to be too much so they reduced the requirement to 25 slips.

1-"35" slips marked over in red pencil to "25" slips
2-35 slip back with red diagonal overprint from LL to UR "send us 20 empty covers of boxes or 25 slips in place of 35 slips as advertised".
3-"35" slips marked over in red pencil to "25" slips and purple diagonal overprint from LL to UR "empty covers of boxes not containing slips received in place of slips"
4-"35" slips printed over in purple to "25" slips and red diagonal overprint from UL to LR with the same wording as #3.
5-As #4 but overprint is horizontally across the bottom with the word "not" underlined. Different type face than #4.
6-Reprinted text with "35" changed to "25". Also mention in the text that 25 box covers were acceptable if the box did not contain a slip.
7-Only printing is "Goodwin & Co./Manufacturers of/ OLD JUDGE/Cigarettes./New York. There is a large, almost vertical red overprint reading from the UR to the LL "If you want a full photographic collection of your favorite BASE BALL PLAYERS, YOU CAN EASILY GET THEM. You will find a printed slip in every box of OLD JUDGE or GYPSY QUEEN CIGARETTES you buy. On return to us of 25 of these slips, or 25 covers of boxes in which no slips have been packed, we will mail you (prepaid) an elegant CABINET PHOTOGRAPH, handsomely mounted, of any base ball player, in club uniform, you may select from our printed editions. In this way you can get the photograph of every player of prominence in any club in the country."

Points of note--I haven't seen a back that had an unaltered "35". I'm sure these are out there but I haven't looked that hard. That would technically be the 8th back. This shows that Goodwin started wanting 35 slips for an N173, went to 25 slips, started taking pack tops (20 versus 25 slips) and then decided to go with 25 covers or 25 slips. This also shows Gypsy Queen cigarettes had coupons for N173s. This still leaves the question unanswered as to how Large Gypsy Queens were distributed.

Old 11-28-2004, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

My first one is just like Hal's (isn't it silly the way they say that each box of Old Judge or Gypsy Queen contains a slip, and then go on to say send in 25 slips, or "25 covers of boxes in which no slips have been packed"?)

The second one, in much poorer condition, says: You will find a printed slip in every...On return to us of 35 of these Slips (in pale purple, the 35 is crossed out, and a "25" printed in, ll-UR) we will mail you (prepaid) an elegant CABINET CARD..except for the overprint number change, back is identical.

Which you can still get from a dealer for 1.5 --50,000 dollars in very nice shape...

I assume the "pale lavender" rather than the "red" overprint is due to the worn condition.

Old 11-28-2004, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Julie:

Maybe you and I should start collecting slips...

and when we get 25 ,,, we can send them in and get a MINT condition N173 cabinet of OUR CHOICE!!!

I think I will ask for a Cap Anson portrait (Dog's Head version).

How about you, Julie?

Old 11-28-2004, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

(it's probably just called "hands at waist.")

Scanner: Although the celluloid Tribune scorekeeper, the Cycle back T206 and the pens are crystal clear, the Spaulding guide and the "Metamorphic" Old Judde ad are not. In both cases, I had to alter the picture AFTER scanning (making the Guide and the ad one step blurrier )--I don't know why! (Because they're bigger?) But I do know my scanner doesn't its pictures messed with after it's made the scan. If you don't like lines(Spaulding) or illegible print (ad)--rescan!