NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilNap View Post
I guess I used that term loosely. He actually appears in a couple of the team photos. The one I am referring to may not be "official" but it is the most prominent and often published.
Phil, wasn't there some Ted guy that was pretty tough too??

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 07-03-2013, 04:06 PM

Default JimStinson

I don't know what this adds to the 1927 "MIX" but I have a 1927 Yankees check made out to and endorsed by E.J. Herr who was then a scout ($650.00) also have a 1939 Yankees check made out to and endorsed by MARK ROTH who was the travel secretary on the 1927 team signed on the front by Barrow ($350.00) . Sorry this post ended up here instead of the BST but it was (I thought) on topic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1927yankscheck.jpg (82.6 KB, 412 views)
Old 07-04-2013, 07:35 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

So what would be the ultimate master list for the 1927 Yankees autograph collector? The 25 players who got in a game and the manager and coaches are easy but what about scouts, doctor, etc? And for the record, don't worry, just curious, not attempting to assemble the thing!

I tried finding a 2010 Detroit News article about Don Miller but everything led to a dead link - anyone have a copy of it?

STAFF
Jacob Ruppert - owner
Miller Huggins - manager
Art Fletcher - coach
Charley O'Leary - coach
Eddie Bennett - batboy

CATCHERS
Benny Bengough
Pat Collins
Johnny Grabowski

INFIELDERS
Joe Dugan
Mike Gazella
Lou Gehrig
Mark Koenig
Tony Lazzeri
Ray Morehart
Julie Wera

PITCHERS
Walter Beall
Joe Giard
Waite Hoyt
Don Miller
Wilcy Moore
Herb Pennock
George Pipgras
Dutch Ruether
Bob Shawkey
Urban Shocker
Joe Styborski
Myles Thomas

OUTFIELDERS
Earle Combs
Cedric Durst
Bob Meusel
Ben Paschal
Babe Ruth
Old 07-04-2013, 09:50 AM

Some people go for everyone that was in the team picture, so you have got your Spencer Adams, Roy Chesterfield, Don Miller etc. People do care about Doc Woods the Trainer and the front office staff etc too, and like I said before, the batboy.

As far as I know this is the ONLY team people do this with. Even the 1919 White Sox/Reds guys arent that obsessed.

Rhys
Old 07-04-2013, 11:14 AM

Default JimStinson

Agreed, The 1919 Reds & White Sox are almost as popular from a collecting standpoint as the 1927 Yankees but a distant second and/ or 3rd . I think the reason collectors don't obsess so much about the non active players on those teams is because its near impossible just to complete a roster of either of the 1919 teams.

That being said and while it is not debatable the collectability and popularity of the Murderers Row team, the 1927 Yankees MIGHT NOT have been the greatest team ever. Many historians of the game will argue the 1906 Cubs, 1939 Yankees or 1929 Athletics were better teams overall when considering the greatest team of all time. I'd also throw in the 1934 Cardinals, 1986 Mets & 1905 Giants.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:31 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Agreed, The 1919 Reds & White Sox are almost as popular from a collecting standpoint as the 1927 Yankees but a distant second and/ or 3rd . I think the reason collectors don't obsess so much about the non active players on those teams is because its near impossible just to complete a roster of either of the 1919 teams.

That being said and while it is not debatable the collectability and popularity of the Murderers Row team, the 1927 Yankees MIGHT NOT have been the greatest team ever. Many historians of the game will argue the 1906 Cubs, 1939 Yankees or 1929 Athletics were better teams overall when considering the greatest team of all time. I'd also throw in the 1934 Cardinals, 1986 Mets & 1905 Giants.
Maybe I am biased, but I think the 1998 Yankees should be considered.

Last edited by mschwade; 07-04-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:04 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
Maybe I am biased, but I think the 1998 Yankees should be considered.
No you are not biased that was a great team , So was the 1961 Yankees. Bill James puts the 1997 Braves, 1935 Tigers & 1957 Braves in his top 10.

Pictured here is what Braves Johnny Logan had to say about it, Ya Gotta love that guy..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1957braves.jpg (34.2 KB, 356 views)
Old 07-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
1986 Mets & 1905 Giants.
Jim, given your thoroughness of thought before posting, I would not question you, but seeing the '86 Mets on your list surprises me. That was a great year for teams almost knocking them off in the playoffs - going in to the playoff I would not have bet on them winning it all.

As far as the teams before them, I doubt any of us fully understand what it took to be 'great' during the deadball era. I read a lot of baseball articles from that period and it's like thinking with a different brain.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Richard Simon

I am not putting them up with the greatest teams in history but they were a damn good team,,, 108 Wins and they beat Houston in 6 in the NLCS, Game 6 is considered a classic. They only played one playoff series then.
Las Vegas had them as the World Series favorite.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 07-04-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:

As much as I love and collect those great teams (Black Sox, 27 Yankees, 34 Cards, 60 Pirates, 61 Yanks, etc etc), for my money I think the 98 Yankees could give anyone a run for their money. Also, those 70's Reds teams didn't exactly suck either.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Phil Nap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
So what would be the ultimate master list for the 1927 Yankees autograph collector? The 25 players who got in a game and the manager and coaches are easy but what about scouts, doctor, etc? And for the record, don't worry, just curious, not attempting to assemble the thing!

I tried finding a 2010 Detroit News article about Don Miller but everything led to a dead link - anyone have a copy of it?

STAFF
Jacob Ruppert - owner
Miller Huggins - manager
Art Fletcher - coach
Charley O'Leary - coach
Eddie Bennett - batboy

CATCHERS
Benny Bengough
Pat Collins
Johnny Grabowski

INFIELDERS
Joe Dugan
Mike Gazella
Lou Gehrig
Mark Koenig
Tony Lazzeri
Ray Morehart
Julie Wera

PITCHERS
Walter Beall
Joe Giard
Waite Hoyt
Don Miller
Wilcy Moore
Herb Pennock
George Pipgras
Dutch Ruether
Bob Shawkey
Urban Shocker
Joe Styborski
Myles Thomas

OUTFIELDERS
Earle Combs
Cedric Durst
Bob Meusel
Ben Paschal
Babe Ruth
All of the players you listed are in the photo below except for Walter Beall (though he is sometimes identified as the player top row far right next to the trainer, that player is actually Joseph Styborski). In addition to those on your list I personally added Exec. Ed Barrow, traveling secretary Mark Roth, Trainer Doc Woods, head scout Paul Krichell, and clubhouse attendant Fred Logan. I limited myself to the players who appeared in a game or are pictured in that photo. I personally didn't feel the need to chase the spring training hopefuls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1927 yankees team photo.jpg (77.7 KB, 393 views)
Old 07-06-2013, 01:17 PM

What about Pete Sheehy? He began his clubhouse career in 1927.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Phil Nap

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
What about Pete Sheehy? He began his clubhouse career in 1927.
Sheehy definitely has his place in Yankee history. While I wouldn't mind adding his signature to my collection, I didn't think it necessary as part of a 1927 Yankee project. He was actually someone I was on the fence about. I passed on him for two reasons. First, although it marked the begining of his very prominent Yankee career, his role in the clubhouse was likely very limited in 1927. Second, for my 1927 Yankee project the goal was to find all vintage fountain pen signatures. So, I guess the door remains open in the event that a period payroll check should surface.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilNap View Post
... his role in the clubhouse was likely very limited in 1927.
True. But less limited than the roles played by Miller and Styborski!

Last edited by David Atkatz; 07-06-2013 at 11:54 PM.